cant wait till tommarow

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by MrApathy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

hopefully the guys at fedex deliver my new Hornady LNL AP cant wait \:D/

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Hah? that sounds like a reloading press....? Upgraded a lot of reloading equipment this Christmas........RCBS mostly.....

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

OK.......Hornady LocknLoad........how much?? and why did you pick Hornady..........??

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Did some research and ordered one too. I especially liked the 1000 free bullets from Hornady program.......... =D> I have a Dillon 650 that is going back to the factory for rehab, but I've always thought the Dillon was complicated....and expensive to add additional everything. The Hornady sounds like its less expensive and cheaper to change...........I also just got there Sizing die for my 357sig and was impressed with the quality.......
    good call Mr. A.............the bullets along are worth $100.00...........

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

at todays market price for bullets try $200+
    let me know where you see them for $100

the hornady deal was just to tempting the bullet deal.
    someone else posted they got a Hornady LNL AP I scoured forums on it and sounds like a good press. thought about a 650 and a Lee Loadmaster. have a couple lee presses and they work well enough.

Hornady has lifetime warranty.

Aubie mentioned it and discussions about the deal peaked my interest.

ordered mine from grafs think its just under $320 shipped looks like it went back up

http://www.hornady.com/media/LNL_AP.pdf
    http://www.hornady.com/media/2006catalo ... ng_LNL.pdf
    http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=184

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Graf's is where I ordered mine too. Wow, I was kinda guessing at the $100.00 bucks, that makes this press about $100.00.........can't beat that with a stick..........I stumbled on the Hornady site looking for a 357sig sizer die and saw the special deal.......Every comment on the Midway comment section but one said they loved the press. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but a press for a hundred bucks, and with the price of ammo going through the roof......I won't have to change calibers as much, just move around the room..... :lol:

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

just got to opening it. got a free dust cover. $319 shipped and free dust cover. now just need shell plates and more locking rings doh #-o its high quality all the way.

one negative I have read is the 5th station prefers Hornady taper die but other dies can be made to work in that mentioned some grinding will see what thats about. like my FCD's

thread talking about Hornady LNL
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php ... id=6980870
    is a link at that thread of a video of someone using a LNL AP

got her bolted down with 5/16 bolts which the manual recommended though looks like 3/8's may work as well. the powder dispenser is a monster. not sure what I am going to do keep the dispenser or use the lee powder and belling. think will try the Hornady out need to check the FCD. cant believe I didnt order any shell plates at same time. need to go read up. wonder if I can get a lee case dispenser mounted on this somehow instead of having to pay that high ransom for the Hornady case feeder. :D

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

excellent info......I had the dealer's section and they want to charge me 329.00. 8-O I'm going to remind them the regular customers section is selling them for 319.00 shipped.......again !!!!!

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

last I looked the price was back up to $359.99+$3.9x for handling 8-O

glad I got that when I did :D

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

It just must have come off sale. Is this press ready to go or will I have to order more parts... It sounds like from what you are saying more then a set of dies will be required.The girls were no help at all today in answering that question........(*,) I'm planning on this as my 357sig press. So far it sounds like I will need the Hornady crip die, shell plate, and locking rings?
    Any suggestions you have of extras to get before it gets here, Id appreciate the heads up.......The RCBS was more clear, and Dillon is set to go out of the box......... :?

11. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

station 5 sounds weird from reports on other websites. other die sets work though station 5 may have issues with non hornady.

need shell plate thats it I got 5 locking rings included if you load more calibers will want to order more of them they work nice though will miss my lee turret setup easy to change calibers but this is not so bad. sure its better the lee had lots of slot. saw they have a ten pack of rings. would be nice if they included it in caliber kits.

turns out the powder dispenser does case mouth expanding. still sorting through it all. shell plates and rings will take standard dies though station 5 I havent sorted out yet have had much time to play with it.

the instruction manual tells most.

edit
    after some sorting need bolts,washers,locking washers I used 5/16 like the manual recommended come to find the holes look like they will take 3/8's. the left side has a plate for the bin needed a 2 washers for that side had the plate go in between which arms down to eject from the press. its fairly simple instructions could be better.

simple list
    bolts
    washers
    locking washers
    shell plate
    if you want case mouth expansion during powder drop need to buy a bushing that does it. otherwise it comes with vanilla bushings though maybe your bushing with die set will work dunno
    more locking rings for more calibers.

outside of shell plate not very expensive
    spent $2 at hardware store for bolts,washers,locking washers
    see shell plate for $27 and set of 10 extra locking rings $30-$35(midway and midsouth out at moment instock at grafs)
    (powder through expander bushing $8-10 not required but nice opens a station)
    beats the $360 normal price but the savings get spent elsewhere.

hornady is good $10+ more than online retailers. fyi
    found a microadjustment seating stem at hornadies sight might have to try one.

http://www.hornady.com/media/2006catalo ... _Tools.pdf
    found a micrometer tool for the powder dispenser cost $25-$30 another one for rifle. optional upgrades

sounds like those with dillion experience go back to dillion.
    the issue with fifth station is a wire that interferes with a die. some say you can bend the wire or mod the die.

lots of stuff for Hornady to nickel and dime ya though who doesnt.

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Thanks Mr A,
    that is good info. I look at my Dillon 650 setup and all the caliber changes and separate caliber setups and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ WOW
    I've got a lot of money in this thing. But I've always thought it was a complicated machine with lots of extras to buy as you say. Its going back to Dillon for a free rehab..... :) that's the good part. I'll get back some of that extra cash I had to shell out and get a like new machine back....Hornady really doesn't make it very clear what you will need to START loading. Shell plate and the fifth station look like the most pressing parts to get immediately. powder bushing (like Dillon) I can do without for now. I'll put the extra lock rings for later. I guess about another $100. should do it.
    Sold my motorcycle and had some cash to play with..... :D Upgraded my reloading stuff a ton, but now the money's gone...... :( I decided with the cost of 223's to dedicate one press for it only. But ALL the 22cal canileered bullets are sold out...... 8-O Midway, Graf's all gone....... :roll: War is hell :lol: ...............gonna call Graf's today and find out when they are going to be in............stock up on a couple thousand....
    definately going to get the 45cal freebies from Hornady...... 8)
    thanks again.....happy reloading :wink:

13. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

5th station has a wire that does the ejection it can be removed and ejection can be done by hand. the wire can be modified which wouldnt take much otherwise Hornady put it in a location that is not great for the 5th die. put my fcd die in there and check it out not back was 40sw die.

get my shell plate will be loading much faster and happer.

14. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

OK.....just a wire...that should be easy to modify. I like the Lee facotory dies also. I've decided that I might just make this a 45acp press and do the 223 on the RCBS turret as dedicated press. Dillion will be kept for 40/10mm and if needed 9mm, all though 9's are still cheap enough to be bought........Called Grafs and found Prvi 223 soft tip bullets 55g canaleered
    2000 for about 120.00.........his guess was same as mine. The military is snapping up most of the supply and the rest grabbed ASAP by guys like me and you.........
    Ill keep the high performance 223 and 308 loads for the RockChucker single stage press...............this has been an expensive upgrade, but with the current trend, I think a smart move in the long run...................
    :wink:

15. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

appreciate the info on 223 bullets. I dont shoot or load it yet but I have a saiga in 5.56 and am working on a pair of ar15's at the moment. I should stock up while I can.
    I load 9mm its a tougher than 40sw and probably 45acp. the case is tapered slightly. bullets can cant in it not fun. took me 2 seating dies and even a custom seating stem I made on a lathe. lee dies.
    can make some excellent 9mm ammo that beats the price of commercial and is more accurate.

if you decide to load 9mm look for winchester 9mm FMJ Hollow Base 115gr. they are longer than flat base 115gr. loaded with WSF max to 1.150" was a tact driver out of M9.

odd thing when I picked up the mail. I had a hornady 2007 catalog in my mail from Hornady. I havent even sent anything in yet. though I did send in a box of 40sw 180gr XTP's that were not satisfactory.
    believe Hornady has new load book out. not crazy about Hornady but starting to warm up to them.

16. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

thanks for the load info..... I'll put the Win 9mm bullets on my "to get" list....... I have loaded lots of 9's, but prefer to concentrate on the others.....I guess the 9's for me just don't get a lot of respect... :lol: But when I go to shooting schools I take the pair of M9's and a G17 as a back up.......Unfortunately (propbably not)..you have to have factory ammo at most schools for liability....understandable.....I've got about 2500 rounds of cci blazer alum and planning on a big 6day class in Tennessee in Oct...advanced pistol- 2day/carbine-2 day/ and alumni weekend inbetween which is combo carbine-pistol........that's about 1500 to 2000 rounds..........most of my schooling are one day affairs....Have 900 wolf coming in Feb......I'll shoot those till then........cheers

17. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

got my #10 shell plate got a #7 by mistake wanted a #8 for 9mm.
    missed the shell plate spring to keep the cases on the shell plate made things interesting. took the ejection wire off and die spot #5 works great. did get the wire bent some so it doesnt interfere with the #5 station but it doesnt quite eject good the way I bent it. tough sucker to bend.

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

mine comes today........I still need to get a bench for it..the one I was going to use has too flimsy a top shelf....Still trying to get my 357sig press set up...the Hornady resizing die is giving me some fits....

19. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Just checked my FedX tracking.........Package delivered 1:30pm..... =D>
    I guess now I have to put the whole thing together............... :roll: I read one review the guy took almost 8 hours........ 8-O

20. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

mine came mostly assembled I just had to do the shell plate and primer tubes the most time consuming is the dies.

I am just going to use my lee pro autodisk and powder through expander die. that monster powder dispenser while nice I have read its not to good for pistol out of the box and it doesnt do belling while charging. need nickel and dime accessories for that.

I am using a Black and Decker Workmate 300 workbench for my load bench its proving rigid enough for the 3 presses I have mounted on it. I keep the table vises locked shut. could replace the table with thicker stronger one but works for me.

mine resembles the 225 and 425 they have pictured
    if I were to buy a new one probably go for the 425
    http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGu ... =2516.2521

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]