Can't decide between a steyr 9mm or .40...help me out!!!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BoxerDog, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BoxerDog

BoxerDog Guest

Other than caliber preference , are there any advantages of the .40 or 9mm? Is one pistol better than the other? I already have a sig 226 in 9mm, so I am thinking about getting a .40 as I dont have one. Any input is welcome. thanks

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Get both, and send me the one you dont like!!!!!

:shifty: :shifty:

3. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint New Member

I had the same delima before buying my M9.

Deciding factor was cheaper ammo cost for the 9mm. But I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The search function is your friend - this very question has been asked and discussed ad nauseum... You will be well served by either weapon. I give the nod to the 9mm. :twisted:

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...juast to be devils advocate,

I will give the nod to the .40 S&W, which has superior stopping power to the 9mm....

:twisted: :wall: :twisted:

6. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Stick with the 9mm.

The 40 fan boys hype the minuscule extra stopping power, but well aimed hits are better and being better requires practice.

Controlling practice costs with caliber commonality and online bulk ammo buying far outweighs the small stopping power advantage the 40 has.

7. NicoX

NicoX New Member

I think it´s easily for self defense to use a 9mm, and U have more ammo in a mag, comparing the same gun of course.. in this case M40 to M9 and also the price of the ammunition

8. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Buy the one you shoot better....opinions are like aholes....everyone has one and they all stink....including mine....so sniff your own butt

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

10. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Speak for yourself!
    My stuff doesn't stink. :lol:

Here's a cool Winchester Ammo page that let's you compare the performance of their different loads. http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/flash/win_flash.html

Here's the performance of the heaviest loads:

9mm 147 sxt bare gelatin - penetration 13.9, expansion .65
    40 180 sxt bare gelatin - penetration 13.8, expansion .60

9mm 147 sxt denim - penetration 14.5, expansion .66
    40 180 sxt denim- penetration 14.3, expansion .70

9mm 147 sxt heavy cloth - penetration 14, expansion .66
    40 180 sxt heavy cloth- penetration 13.4, expansion .64

9mm 147 sxt wallboard- penetration 15, expansion .67
    40 180 sxt wallboard - penetration 13.1, expansion .66

Interesting that the 9mm expanded to nearly the exact same diameter regardless of material it was fired through. Also interesting that .40 only outperformed once, in denim, with expansion of .04" larger than 9mm.

Both rounds, however, met and exceeded FBI standards by a healthy margin.
    40SW just ain't worth the extra ammo cost and loss of mag capacity IMO.

11. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

Interesting data. On a side note, anyone see the article by Patrick Sweeney in the lateset Hanguns magazine on the performance of Fiocci 125gr TMJ in 357Sig? The non hollowpoint had a penetration of 54"!!! of geletin! :shock: How's that for impressive?

12. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

Wife has a 9 that I bought her after she shot my .40. She likes the smoothness of the 9 when it fires. I like the little extra kick of the .40. They are both great weapons and you cant go wrong with either. Either will take down a bad guy

My son (34) tends to like her 9 more than the .40

I say enjoy them both.

13. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

If you get hit with either it is still going to hurt regardless. Though it makes no difference what load you are carrying if you cannot hit the broad side of a barn in a stressful environment like most personal defense scenarios are. The best home defense weapon when it comes down to it is a shotty. :party:

As for me I went with the .40 S&W as ammo price really wasn't that big of a deal to me. Like other people have typed, pick whichever one you can shoot better.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I'm starting to think the same thing. I settled on .40 as my smallest...then bought a Smith 642.

.40 knocks down steel better though, and is easier to make major in the games. But most of the games I play don't care if it's a .40 or a 9mm,

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I read that. Amazing. I think I'll pick up a box for my second or third magazine for carry. I think it was Ayoob he quoted who suggested that on the theory that by the time you get that far into a firefight, everybody's going be hunkered down behind cover and you will need the extra penetration. On the other hand, it will surely over-penetrate in all other situations. :mrgreen: