Canadian m9a1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by macodad, Mar 16, 2007.

1. macodad

macodad Guest

Just got my new m9 from and I am thinking that they have to put in an aftermarket barrel in order to meet the Canadian barrel length law.
    my barrel doesn't have a serial number, just a "W1" on it (where the serial number would go). Is that right? Stery doesn't make a Canadian compatible barrel?
    what kind of quality is this W1 barrel?
    I have a 9mm kkm barrel for my g22 so i can plink in 9mm with a glock and it is a nice solid lock up.
    so is this one but with the slide locked back it rattles.
    cant wait to get out on the range, unfortunately it looks like cold weather, wind and snow for my days off. guess I wont being wearing shorts!! :)

gotta clean her and lube her up for a few mags worth.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

can you post pics of the barrel?

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I seem to recall another Canadian Steyroid who also reported that the barrels are a bit longer. I'm about 95% sure Steyr cuts them to legal length for Canadian import. The rattle when the slide is locked back is normal.

Try PM'ing Gray_Wulf - he's from CA and will probably be able to help ya if you have further questions...

4. macodad

macodad Guest

here are some pix.
    the law is that a pistol must have a barrel length of 106mm (4.17") or it changes to a different class and needs a different permit.
    I noticed in the user manual that the barrel in a pic had a serial #, caliber stamp, etc but mine doesn't.

let me know what you think.

first is the barrel (tough to hold both cam and barrel, stay still with both hands (yay caffine) and take the shot close enough to show what i mean) its blurry but the lettering in the bottom right corner of the chamber block is a "W1".

second is the gun in battery, you can see the extra little bit of barrel that extends from the muzzle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

on another note, i find the grips a bit slick, anyone try the inner tube thing?

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The Hogue Handall is pretty popular, but the Hogue tool grip is a vastly better fit. See pictures here.

If you decide you want one, let me know - I can get them discounted through work and sell them to Steyroids at cost + postage.

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

your barrel looks to be factory. why it doesnt have the serial number and proof marks dont know.

they have to make a custom length barrel for Canada
    someone think from VC mentioned the barrel could be shortened some and had a smith do that.

IGB makes aftermarket steyr barrels dont know of anyone else.

Steyr probably has couple barrel lines one for 4" other for extended for canada and those that want threaded barrels.

7. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Hi macodad, my M9A1 also has a 106mm extanded barrel but with a SN on it...

don't know about your barrel but Steyr makes longer 'Canadian' barrels (in the users manual it actually says that a barrel langth is 4.17"/106mm for Canada)

8. macodad

macodad Guest

hmmm makes me wonder whats up with the barrel, no s# and no proof marks.
    shoots just fine though!!!! :D