Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  CGuns 
G
#1 ·
My wife is getting into IDPA and I'm pretty sure we going to get an M9 for her to shoot. After trying out CZ 75 SAs, Glocks, Sig 228 and Springfield XDs, it has come down to a the XD Tactical or an M9. She seems to slightly prefer the S9/M9 over the XD due to the grip shape and angle.

However, the one thing that makes me hesitate in getting the M9 is the fairly stiff magazine release. She has to use both thumbs to eject the magazine on my S9. Can something be done about this to lower the pressure?

I'm actually leaning towards the XD because there is so much aftermarket support for it. I'm sold on fiber optic sights for competition and wish I could get some for the Steyr.

Jeff

#4 ·
Not a prob for me

My mag release is really quite easy for me....never even thought about doing anything to smooth it out or lighten it up. maybe i just have strong hands....wouldn't expect that from my life as a desk jockey...but who know..

I hear ya about the aftermarket parts and support....it is the one thing i don't like about the Steyr....but hey....what do i really need?....got the gun, the mags, the holster, the adapter (but no light....and what what i have read...probably won't even bother with that now)....trap nights sights would be nice though!

G
#5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have to try the oil thing, as my S9 has the stiffest mag release of any gun I've owned. My wife is pretty petite, and even with rotating the gun in her hand she still has to use both thumbs to release the mag.

#6 ·
If she is a righty, how about having her hold the gun in the right hand, and angle it slightly to the side when reloading. With her left hand, she draws the new magazine, drops the old magazine with the thumb on her left hand and inserts the new one....The idea is that the mag release button would be presented almost horizontally (sp?) to her, making it easy to press down on, plus she will have something to "push against" courtesy of the right hand, holding the gun.

Just a thought.

G
#8 ·
How does your wife like the S-9? I guess limp wristing is not a problem since your thinking of getting an M-9 for her. If you do get the M-9 let us know how she likes it. I'm thinking of letting my wife use my M-9 for an advanced pistol course we are taking, (after I reveal to her I bought yet another gun) but she limp wrists Glocks and even my P228 occasionally. She bought a wrist wrap, so that may help.

I think the M-9 would be the perfect pistol for her, but she'll have to try it herself as my opinion is meaningless. :)

#9 ·
only other suggestion i could offer is possibly , removing the mag release and lightening up the spring for it. i had mine out on the s40 when i polished it awhile back..same release internals as the s9. although you may wish to have a smith do the work for you ,

G
#10 ·
Pilot said:
How does your wife like the S-9? I guess limp wristing is not a problem since your thinking of getting an M-9 for her. If you do get the M-9 let us know how she likes it. I'm thinking of letting my wife use my M-9 for an advanced pistol course we are taking, (after I reveal to her I bought yet another gun) but she limp wrists Glocks and even my P228 occasionally. She bought a wrist wrap, so that may help.

I think the M-9 would be the perfect pistol for her, but she'll have to try it herself as my opinion is meaningless. :)
isn't that the kind of habit the class is supposed to help correct?? :?

G
#11 ·
Thanks for the continued suggestions.

Cguns - that sounds like a decent technique that might indeed be helpful. However, I want her to be as competitive as possible and a normal press with her strong thumb (right) is going to be the fastest way to conduct a slide-lock or tactical (with retention) mag change in IDPA matches.

Walty and Ripped - sounds like a possiblity of taking out a coil or 2, but as you suggest I'm not too comfortable doing that work myself. I don't even know how to get the mag release out? I guess I could buy a couple of spares and do some experimentation.

Pilot - My wife loves the S9. She actually was using a P228 also, but that heavy DA first shot from the holster in IDPA is going to be an extra challenge for her, so I think the "Safe-Action/Striker-Fired" guns a la Steyr/Glock/XD are going to be the best for her. She has never had a problem limp wristing although she is only just over 100 pounds with small hands. She shoots from a modified-Weaver type stance that has her strong arm locked out. Perhaps that has helped ensure any gun she shoots cycles well. This past weekend we were at Blackwater USA and she got to shoot an XD in 9, Glock 21 .45, Glock 22 .40 and the Steyr and had no problem with any guns cycling. She actually shot the best with the XD, but commented that she liked the feel of the S9 the best, although she doesn't like the Tri/Trap sights and preferred the standard 3-dot setup on the XDs and Glocks.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.