California dreamin' at the range

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Netfotoj, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

This is a test for "gun nuts r us". This staff writer at the San Mateo County Times in northern California made a teensy-weensy little error in the third paragraph of her story below. Can you spot it?

I think there's three possibilities here:

1: The reporter couldn't be bothered to actually go to the nasty, noisy old firing range to write her story so she did a Jayson Blair and just imagined the details of Kimberly Shrum and her S&W Magnum revolver.

2: Kimberly Shrum has one of those newfangled .357 magnum revolvers that automatically ejects spent cartridges. Gee, I wonder if it automatically loads from a 300-round clip, too. I gotta get me one of those!

Or 3: She's so clueless she just assumed that Kimberly Shrum's revolver was spitting out shells on the range floor, but she didn't know any better because she closed her eyes while Kimberly was shooting.

Here's the link to whole story, if you really want to read the rest of it:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/ci_5555670

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I stole this from Michelle Malkin and she stole it from Free Republic.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/007218.htm

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1810271/posts?page=20#20

2. smores

smores Guest

lol... I had to do a double take as well... I was like "I know I didn't just read '.357 revolver' and 'hot shell casing hits the floor' in 2 consecutive sentences."

We can give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she meant a hot shell casing from the booth or two over to her left.......

3. Ektelon

Ektelon Guest

From a member of another forum ...can't say it''s fact or not but makes sense in todays "news"

"just spoke with Christine, and it turns out that, in her original piece, she was referring to a piece of brass being ejected from a .22 semi-auto shot earlier in the day. Of course, once her article had made its way through the Famed Umpty-Eleven Layers of Rigorously Fact Checking Editors™ for which the MSM are revered far and wide, it bore no relation to her original. So yes, there was a screwup, but the screwup wasn’t Christine’s. So if you must mock and ridicule somebody, and there’s certainly nothing even remotely wrong with that, kindly direct your mockery towards the ones deserving of it: The mouth-breathing editors and their sloping, Neanderthal foreheads."

4. smores

smores Guest

See? I wasn't as quick to judge :p *neener neener...*

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Having worked for 30+ years under various substrata of
    as a reporter, photojournalist and sub-editor, I can certainly attest to the truth of that statement. I've even worked for several years as one of
    I've added a mistake or two to other's writing as well.

But if I might add,
    in this case were most certainly not a member of Gun Nuts R Us.

6. Ektelon

Ektelon Guest

Amen my Friend!!

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Maybe the revolver had a KB and all the shells hit the floor.
    Sounds like a made-up story if they got what is supposedly an eyewitness account of a fact wrong.