California does something right

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Deluxe247, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

2. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

You've got to love those anti-gun nuts in the media. If terrorist attack the lab that contains nuclear material the whole neighborhood glows for about 30 years or more with pretty much everyone dead, but they are concerned about what would happen if some stray rounds went through terrorist and into homes? Maybe folks shouldn't live next door to such a place?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Sweet! I've been out to Dillon before and seen the UH-1 and Defender they use as test beds for the M134Ds - AWESOME!

They do bring up a good point that the facility may not be the best to house nuclear materials. If it is in such an urban setting then it may be much easier to get a cell to infiltrate the area and set up a coordinated attack, versus having it relatively isolated to monitor all potential threats from stand-off distances.

Jeff

4. srfl

srfl New Member

Very cool.

A FLETC buddy of mine was a NRC special agent assigned to Livermore...well, no more which is a shame. If he were still there, I'd be paying him a visit to shoot those guns!

5. XNavyflyer

XNavyflyer New Member

It looks like a manual version of the Vulcan/Phalanx (sp) the Navy uses on their ships. I've seen them work and they're IMPRESSIVE. Nothing will survive a blast from one of them. The Vulcan/Phalanx uses depleted uranium rounds.

6. ministerofdeath

Yup, thanks to the good old NFA (National Firearms Act) that kind of weapon is classified as a Title II firearm (see National Firearms Act, ch. 757, 48 Stat. 1236 (1934)) and thanks to the 1986 FOPA (Firearms Owner's Protection Act...God I hate that title) it is illegal for any civilian to purchase any Title II weapon that was not registerd prior to May 19, 1986 (see 18 U.S.C. 922(o)).

So, you may see some folks with older vulcan type cannons, but nothing brand spanking new like that one in the hands of a civilian. Of course, you could probably get ahold of one, but I'm thinking the BATFE would show up and burn your house to the ground pretty quick.

7. alagator

alagator New Member

I wonder which was there first-- the nuke lab or the suburb. If they built/bought homes next to known nukes, too bad. On the other hand, it would be very irresponsible to put such a lab in an existing neighborhood, or to move nuke material into a previously non-nuke lab surrounded by homes. Either way, this sounds like a bad situation from a security standpoint.

8. ministerofdeath

Trust me terrorist can get their hands on weapons grade nuclear material easier by going to many, many, many different university labs throughout the nation. I believe it was 20/20 (or similar show) that did a special on how young men and women were able to simply walk in to so called secured facilities on University grounds that contained, in some cases, enough weapons grade nuclear material to make a high yeild nuclear weapon.

Some of the university labs didn't even lock their doors and few had cameras or guards. Seriously, you wouldn't have to be very smart or well funded to steal that stuff. I know a near by university near where I am that has nuclear material that could be used for a "dirty bomb" and it wouldn't take any effort to walk in there and gain access to that material. If you had the equipment to properly transport it you'd be off on your way toward killing alot of people.