Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Finally got to the range with my new C9-A1. I shot 122grn fmj fp's and 115grn Fmj RN ammunition.

Sights: It took me about 30 rounds to get somewhat used to the trap sights. Over all I think they will be as good as three dot..maybe better for me..

Feeding: Had one FTF in a hundred rnds. May have been that it was a reload. Shell did not clear all the way from the chamber and was easily cleared. Ejection was erratic. Back in to the left mostly but then it would fling brass back at me then forward to the right.Extractor looks robust and large which I like. This is suppose to go away after a few hundred rounds..I think.

Accuracy: Flat points where not working well. I believe they had too much jump to the lands. Shot high and to the right..very high and very right. Once I put the 115 FMJ rn thru it I was hitting the bulls eye consistently at 18 yards. Bullet almost touching the front edge of the magazine, less jump to the lands. As I get used to it I think I can improve much.

Ergonomics: This pistol is very comfortable in my hand and points well. Recoil is very manageable.

Trigger: Stiff and notchy with about 6.Lb pull. Being new I expect this will get better as I shoot it.

To me this is the biggest size pistol I could comfortable carry without sacrificing the comfort of a full size grip. This pistol is very close in dimension to the Walther P-5 ( which I love). but the C9-A1 has twice the magazine capacity and should have no issues with hollow points as dose the P-5.

Overall you cannot beat it for the money! You can tell a lot of original thought went into the layout and design of this pistol. Once I get know it better I intend this to be my CCP. Would not recommend this pistol at the moment for a first time pistol owner as you need to work with it.

Will post more updates as I discover more things about the C9-A1.

Looking for additional comments from C9-A1 shooters to compare notes.

Best

Jamsy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lots of us here love our C9-A1's.
Welcome to Steyr Club!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Just got off the phone with Jeff at Steyr. He's says Steyr is issuing a new extractor to fix ( Hopfully) the erratic ejection pattern. Not all do this apparently. Said to call him in a week or so and they might have them in.

Also said the slide and barrel from the s-a1 in 40S&W would fit the c9-a1. Interesting...

Best

Jamsy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess I'll have to call Jeff in a week as well. My brass has always been really random, but I sort of understood that "it is what it is". It's still doing it with ~600 rounds through it.

I had some failure to ejects and my slide wouldn't lock back a lot of the time. Jeff sent me some new magazine springs and it fixed all of the problems. Unfortunately, I usually can't fit 15 rounds in most of the time now, but I'll take 14 rounds and consistent functionality over an additional round any day.

Mine seems to like 124gr. better than 115gr., for what it's worth. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I guess I'll have to call Jeff in a week as well. My brass has always been really random, but I sort of understood that "it is what it is". It's still doing it with ~600 rounds through it.

I had some failure to ejects and my slide wouldn't lock back a lot of the time. Jeff sent me some new magazine springs and it fixed all of the problems. Unfortunately, I usually can't fit 15 rounds in most of the time now, but I'll take 14 rounds and consistent functionality over an additional round any day.

Mine seems to like 124gr. better than 115gr., for what it's worth. Good luck and have fun.
I think a slight massage of the ejector would help a bit with it. It's probably the cheapest made part on there and looks as if it could be ... adjusted with a stone for a better ejection. If it was easier to replace I'd be on top of this ASAP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mad cow, I will try heavier bullets next outing. I have 15round magazines for mine. Has your trigger gotten any smoother after 600 rounds?

Talyn,

Any idea's of what surface to stone on the ejector? Hopefully I can get the new ejector and compare to the old one. I am curious what they will have modified. It's the randomness of it that really has me perplexed.

Guys, Additionally, Any idea's on leather holsters for C9-A1? I see a lot of Kydex and poly. Would like a top strap and closed end. My open end holster for Sig 226 works but strap is too short.

Best

Jamsy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mad cow, I will try heavier bullets next outing. I have 15round magazines for mine. Has your trigger gotten any smoother after 600 rounds?

Talyn,

Any idea's of what surface to stone on the ejector? Hopefully I can get the new ejector and compare to the old one. I am curious what they will have modified. It's the randomness of it that really has me perplexed.

Guys, Additionally, Any idea's on leather holsters for C9-A1? I see a lot of Kydex and poly. Would like a top strap and closed end. My open end holster for Sig 226 works but strap is too short.

Best

Jamsy
I could probably make a leather C9-A1 holster. It take's a bit of time to start that stuff from scratch and mold it though. Then I'll have to run down to the shoe shop and sew it on the big sewing machine. (The thing is cool as hell!)

I could hand sew it, but I dont have an awl and it takes forever.

As for what to stone, the ejector is not really an easily replaceable part. A member on here just did it the other day, but its a roll pin thats been mushroomed over.
You could probably just clean up the front of it with a stone and square it up because its just a piece of stamped metal, so it might have some sorta weird cut mark in it like mine does. Brass is too soft to damage it, so it wont ever smooth itself out too much.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Best

Jamsy
IWB, OWB? full belt or clip on?

I don't have thick enough leather to do it here, but I can get it.

I think I'ma make a mock up with my hide I have here.

I'll probably double up leather in some places, and I'll custom form it as well.

Cause I could make it like a remora but form fitted in leather, or I could just make an IWB like we do the hybrids as well, which would be pretty awesome. I could double up the leather at the opening to help stifen it up like the kydex would do and with some epoxy or high quality glue I can keep that stiffness there.

Luckily we have the same firearm, so I can use mine to do the form fitting by wrapping mine in plastic so I don't rust up my slide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talyn,

I carry right side outside the waist. Can you send me an image of some of your work...and what you think it will cost? I could be interested. I can send you an image if the holster i use now.

Put another 200 rounds thru the C9-a1. Three failure to feeds. This is with 115grn Winchester FMJRN. Had one round slightly stuck in the chamber. Ejector pin was on the edge of the case. Field stripped it and the round came out. I will be giving it a good cleaning and see how things are wearing in.

I have a new Ejector coming, so will see what that does. Love the trap sights! Jeff at Styer said they use 124grn PMC. SO I will be trying that next.

Best

Jamsy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has your trigger gotten any smoother after 600 rounds?
Mine has always been excellent (although this is my first pistol, so I don't have much to compare to, although I have tried a few others). Barely any creep, crisp but light release, and short reset. I have dry fired mine many times, probably a few hundred. I might mention your trigger to Jeff at SAI next time you talk to him. Yours sounds a little out of the norm.

My personally carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot JHP 124gr (not +P) and my practice ammo is Speer Lawman FMJ 124gr. I've never had a problem with either. My only ammo problems were with 115gr, especially Remington.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Talyn,

I carry right side outside the waist. Can you send me an image of some of your work...and what you think it will cost? I could be interested. I can send you an image if the holster i use now.

Put another 200 rounds thru the C9-a1. Three failure to feeds. This is with 115grn Winchester FMJRN. Had one round slightly stuck in the chamber. Ejector pin was on the edge of the case. Field stripped it and the round came out. I will be giving it a good cleaning and see how things are wearing in.

I have a new Ejector coming, so will see what that does. Love the trap sights! Jeff at Styer said they use 124grn PMC. SO I will be trying that next.

Best

Jamsy
I've never actually made a leather holster. So this should be fun.
I figured I'd just make it and if you liked it you could buy it. =)

I'ma have to run down to the shoe shop to make it though, I don't have enough leather here.

I usually make bags and other odd's and ends with leather or do leather repair.
Last thing I made was some wrist gauntlet for some asshole biker guy. What a pain in the ass. My work was mint though.

I had most problems with bulk 115gr FMJ's.
I never had any issues with cheap hollow points though.
I boiled it down to inconsistent cases and dirty ammo.

Yeah, I agree it shouldn't do this, but after I got it broke in I never had an issue. Tolerances are just too good.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mine has always been excellent (although this is my first pistol, so I don't have much to compare to, although I have tried a few others). Barely any creep, crisp but light release, and short reset. I have dry fired mine many times, probably a few hundred. I might mention your trigger to Jeff at SAI next time you talk to him. Yours sounds a little out of the norm.

My personally carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot JHP 124gr (not +P) and my practice ammo is Speer Lawman FMJ 124gr. I've never had a problem with either. My only ammo problems were with 115gr, especially Remington.
If he's having some dirty trigger issues. he probably has a piece of dirt or something on the striker assembly inside the gun
I had a piece of cotton from a q-tip on mine and it made it horrible.
Over oiling it can make work funny as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If he's having some dirty trigger issues. he probably has a piece of dirt or something on the striker assembly inside the gun
I had a piece of cotton from a q-tip on mine and it made it horrible.
Over oiling it can make work funny as well.
Put the new extractor in today (I can't tell the difference from the old one.). Jeff at Steyr sent it out same day as I talked with him. Goes along way with me. Cleaned out the firing pin channel and got a few tiny shavings out of there.

Put 60rounds of PMC-115FMJ down the tube. No FTF's accuracy was good. Ejected brass pattern was still erratic but not as bad as before, No hot brass in the face:) I am sure it has to do with the drag marks across the primer I am seeing. Way less than last time. Seems as though the Firing pin is not getting out of way fast enough.

Will give it another good cleaning.

By the way I found my #5 Bianchi holster works for the C9-a1. Top strap is tight but I think it will stretch.

Best

Jamsy

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
The ejection should become more consistent as the gun gets broken in more (at least, that's usually how that works). You can do the 1911 plunger spring mod if you want to fix it immediately, but I'd give it time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts