Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new c9-a1 and brought it to the range for the first time and had issues with the slide not locking back after firing the last round. i have two 15 round mags and it happens about 40% of the time, due to excitement of my new steyr and frustration of malfunction i wasn't aware of which mag was giving me the issue it could have been both or only one. I my thumb is not riding the slide lock. After doing some research here, it seems like maybe the springs or the followers may be the problem. I have included some pictures of my magazine assembly in hopes that someone can point something out. I don't want to call Jeff yet until i do more testing this week but as you can imagine I'm a bit frustrated. Thanks in advance
followers1.jpg followers2.jpg mags.jpg mags1.jpg mags2.jpg springs.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Mumra :)

Sorry ta hear bout your slide-lock issue.

I'm curious what ammo you're usin'...is it NATO spec?

Wulf <-- :popcorn:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it was new I wanted to try several different brands till I found one I really liked. So I went through 300 rounds total all being 124 grain fmj. 100 rounds each of Aguila, American eagle, and blazer. After a few full 15 round mags with issues I load the mags with only 5 rounds each untill I was out of ammo to have more last round instances. By the way I like federal American eagles best then Aguila and blazers last. In any case all 3 brands produced issues with slide not locking back maybe a little more with blazers but I can't be positive since I wast writing anything down. Next time I'll bring a pad and take notes, already labeled the mags just need to find free time to hit the range.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Murma :)

Good answer, Bro.

Next go-round, adda box o' 124 gr +P and see if that makes any difference. Walmart carries Winchester Military Grade 124 gr'ners, but they go pretty quickly. <shrug>

Keep us in the loop.

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- put inna word to HQ tryin' ta get recommended ammo for the *9-A1's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem with my C9-A1. I had the 9-10 coil springs in my 15 rd. mags as well, which have been blamed for various things in the past, including FTE's. I ended up contacting Jeff at SAI to ask for some replacement springs. After sending a couple reminder emails (I now know to call to get a more immediate response) he sent me a couple new springs, free of charge. The new springs have more coils (11 or 12 I think...my wife is sleeping right now, so I don't want to wake her by opening the gun safe to check) and have completely solved my slide lock problems. The trade off is that they're harder to load now, of course, and it's almost impossible to get a 15th round in there. The couple times I've managed to fit the last one in, I had to POUND the mag into place with the slide in battery. Personally, I'll take 14 rounds and reliability over 15 rounds with possible problems.

I also ended up getting a couple 17 rounders that have been flawless so far.

Wulf, Jeff said SAI tests with 124gr. PMC and 124gr. Hornady Critical Defense. I've been using 124gr. Speed Lawman FMJ and Speer Gold Dots JHP (not +P) with great success. Unfortunately, all the sell around here is 115gr. stuff, except at the gun shops. I've actually had decent performance with Tulla, Blazer and WWB since the new mag springs. The only ammo that has given me multiple problems has been Remington, in both FMJ and JHP (the cheap hollow points, I haven't tried the Golden Sabers). Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya madcow* :)

Thanx for postin' this info:

I had the same problem with my C9-A1. I had the 9-10 coil springs in my 15 rd. mags as well, which have been blamed for various things in the past, including FTE's. I ended up contacting Jeff at SAI to ask for some replacement springs. After sending a couple reminder emails (I now know to call to get a more immediate response) he sent me a couple new springs, free of charge. The new springs have more coils (11 or 12 I think...my wife is sleeping right now, so I don't want to wake her by opening the gun safe to check) and have completely solved my slide lock problems. The trade off is that they're harder to load now, of course, and it's almost impossible to get a 15th round in there. The couple times I've managed to fit the last one in, I had to POUND the mag into place with the slide in battery. Personally, I'll take 14 rounds and reliability over 15 rounds with possible problems.

Wulf, Jeff said SAI tests with 124gr. PMC and 124gr. Hornady Critical Defense. I've been using 124gr. Speed Lawman FMJ and Speer Gold Dots JHP (not +P) with great success. Unfortunately, all the sell around here is 115gr. stuff, except at the gun shops. I've actually had decent performance with Tulla, Blazer and WWB since the new mag springs. The only ammo that has given me multiple problems has been Remington, in both FMJ and JHP (the cheap hollow points, I haven't tried the Golden Sabers). Hope that helps.
And course it helps, Bro, by my count that's them short springs in Murma's mag spring pics.

Ya may have provided the info that's most poignant ta this problem for our Club Bros.

You ROCK! :thumbsup:

And, do me a favor an' post a side by side pic of the short mag spring creating the problems and the longer replacement ones that Jeff sent ya that corrected 'em.

I'll post the official "what these 9x19MM pistols are designed to shoot" info when I get the answer back from HQ in Austria.

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- thinkin', "if I hadda buncha them longer mag springs from the 17-rd'ers, I'd experiment a bit with coil cuttin' for the full 15-rd capacity in them 15-rd'ers, or better yet, get soma them plus mag base plates and turn them 15-rd'ers into 17-rd'ers...." <eg>

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
I think this is the real fix. The springs they use in the 15 rounders these days is garbage - I have a whole bag of them at home from my guns and friends' that have failed. I think they are using the same springs now in the 17 rounders that they used to use in the 15s (more coils) - those suckers seem to last forever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem is i live in a state with 15 round max i know it suxs to be me. I also think it is the springs that are causing my issues, cause from my research the followers seem to be the correct part. I ordered two new 15 round mags and will follow up once i receive them and get to the range.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just tore apart a magazine to check. I have the 10 coil ones. I've not had any issues with mine.

They were stiff as hell when I first got them too. I had to leave em fully loaded for a while to not break my thumbs while loading them up.

Only time I've not had lock back issues was when I was riding my thumb on the release cause I grip Really high. Benefit of big hands.

*shrugs*

Has anyone with these issues repeatedly tried to lock the slide while racking with an empty mag to see whats going on?

Mine surprises me when it happens when I'm dorking around, but then I'm not having the issues with mine.

I'd just throw in an empty mag and try racking the slide as fast as i could to see if it locked up or not.

I think the issue is with too heavy of lubrication preventing full actuation.
*shrugs*
But then, I'm out of time and getting firing pin smears.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wulf, ask and ye shall receive...sort of. I couldn't find the old springs tonight, but here's what I got ya instead:

On the left, new 15 round magazine spring sent to me by SAI. On the right, 17 round magazine spring. Look the same to me, including the last 3 "skinnier" coils that go into the followers. I'm too chicken to start modifying mine, but I think they're breaking in a little because I was able to get the 15th round in both of them tonight without scrapping the skin off of my thumb.

Talyn, you might be one heck of a sheep herder, but I doubt you (or anyone, except maybe Bob Munden) could rack a slide fast enough to simulate what happens when you fire a round. I never had a problem with the old springs when I manually racked my slide, it was only ever in shooing that it wouldn't lock back, and then, only about 60 percent of the time. You could also tell a difference when you release the slide lock (instead of sling-shoting). For me, with a manual rack I could barely press the slide lock down with one thumb because it was engaged so much, where as when shooting, I could easily release it with a quick flick, indicating the lock was just barely catching on the edge of the slide before the slide stopped the lock's travel.

My theory: Old mag spring wasn't strong enough/fast enough to engage the slide catch enough before the slide blew by. New ones can and do.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. It is way too late...

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
My theory: Old mag spring wasn't strong enough/fast enough to engage the slide catch enough before the slide blew by. New ones can and do.
Sheep Shearer btw. =)

Anyways, that is my theory as well. I'm not experiencing the issue, but that doesn't mean that it's there.

As for being able to do it fast enough, I'm not necessarily saying simulate racking the slide as fast as powder would, but half assidly racking the slide to see if it will catch.

I always try silly things to see what comes of them. I might muck around with this a bit later this morning to see if I come up with any ideas.

For anyone else having this issue. has anyone stretched the springs out just for shits and giggles to see if it brought the tension back up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The slide locks without issues with empty magazines. I didn't know when i'd have time to hit the range again so I went ahead and contacted Jeff and he will send me longer springs probably made for 17rnd mags. I'll follow up once I test out the new springs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi!
Has anybody tried doing anything with slide catch spring (nr. 31 on parts diagram)in order to fix this problem? After all, this is the spring that actually fights the magazine follower and prevents slide catch from catching the slide. You could disassemble the frame and squeeze the spring in order to make it a little bit weaker.
Learned the hard way, that springs and the force they apply are very important. Tried to lessen the trigger pull and really messed something so that trigger would not reset and trigger bar would just fall out of catch (part nr 10). After some research I had to disassemble the trigger assembly. It looked like I accidentally weakened trigger safety spring (19). So I just bent it back, put everything back together and it worked perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi!
Has anybody tried doing anything with slide catch spring (nr. 31 on parts diagram)in order to fix this problem? After all, this is the spring that actually fights the magazine follower and prevents slide catch from catching the slide. You could disassemble the frame and squeeze the spring in order to make it a little bit weaker.
Learned the hard way, that springs and the force they apply are very important. Tried to lessen the trigger pull and really messed something so that trigger would not reset and trigger bar would just fall out of catch (part nr 10). After some research I had to disassemble the trigger assembly. It looked like I accidentally weakened trigger safety spring (19). So I just bent it back, put everything back together and it worked perfectly ever since.
I had some thoughts on that, but in all honesty after looking at mine closely, I cannot see why people are having issues with the slide lock unless its bulk 115 grain ammo and the slide is actually not cycling fully.

The spring that holds the slide lock down doesn't require much force to move it, and it almost looks as if there is more than enough spring travel in the magazine to actuate the slide release. As in there is more than necessary.

Actually I should look at that now to confirm.

Okay, I have the follower touching the slide release about 2 milometers before its actually locking into the pistol.

I'm sill confused.

Somebody send me one of these faulty springs or something!?!

This really makes no sense to me. =\

I flipped my pistol over and pressed the mag release and there is enough tension in my spring to pop the mag up.

I usually keep these things loaded with 5-12 rounds as well. It's not like I'm leaving these empty.
I left them fully loaded for 2 weeks when I first got them to weaken the spring due to them being too stiff.

Maybe one of you guys live close to me here in michigan and I can come finger your gun a bit. haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made it to the range today shot 300 rds fmj ammo (100rnds 124gr blazer, 100rnds 124gr American eagle, 100rnds 147gr American eagle) both magazine have issues. The fialure rate is about 50% and no one mag stand out. So just waiting on new springs from steyr and will follow up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Made it to the range today shot 300 rds fmj ammo (100rnds 124gr blazer, 100rnds 124gr American eagle, 100rnds 147gr American eagle) both magazine have issues. The fialure rate is about 50% and no one mag stand out. So just waiting on new springs from steyr and will follow up.
I wish I was shooting. =\

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mailman left some goodies today. Finally received two new 15 round magazines that I had ordered last week and 2 replacement springs that Jeff sent. Right away I noticed the followers on the new Magazines were different the the followers that are in the original magazines that came with my C9. Can anyone tell me which follower is the correct one for a 9mm, or are they both correct and one is just a later revision of the other?
mags.jpg mags1.jpg follower topview.jpg Springs.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have the thin ones with my 9mm.

It looks like the feed lips are different on the new mags too.

can you confirm?

They might have tightened them up a bit to help with the FTE's.

As I was thinking in another thread, the FTE's are caused from the bullet popping up to quick and stopping the casing from pulling out.

None of us have a high speed camera to watch and confirm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe the feed lips are the same I will measure them when I get home and follow up. For now here is another view
lips.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
I believe the feed lips are the same I will measure them when I get home and follow up. For now here is another view
It's hard to tell.
it looks like they are slightly longer, not closer together, but a tad longer. This would fix a lot of issues IMO.

I wonder what the idea was behind the different follower?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts