Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't recall seeing a report thread for C9-A1 owners, just a thoughts thread.

So for those interested in the C9-A1, those of us with a C9-A1 can give them a heads up on reliability.

As for reliability on mine, I've had 3 FTE's in 300 rounds, the first didn't happen till 185, then I had a few shortly after.

I pulled the slide and there were brass shavings everywhere. Cleaned those up and it shot fine again.

Just shooting Cheap Remington and Winchester.

My FTE's I thought were FTEB, but then noticed that it wasn't actually extracting the round and trying to stack rounds.
After releasing the magazine and racking the round, it came out without troubles.
So, I have no idea what was causing this.

I am experiencing a timing issue and getting firing pin smear as well with my pistol.
I changed slide lube and it helped, but with the slide style, there is not a lot there to provide resistance on the slide besides whatever grease you use. This is the only factor I can say would be part of my FTE's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wish I could report more, but lack of bullet fairy visiting has kept me from the range. I plan to start buying a box or two if possible tomorrow and start building a bank of bullets so I can get some range time this summer. Sadly, $$$ keeps me from reporting more. Tomorrow though I am snagging a Conceal Carry shirt that I hope to use for my C9. It currently sits in its Blade-Tech holster not far from me. :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't want to nitpick, but concerning descriptions, ammunition clips are not the same as magazines. I hope that was a nice way of saying it, I tried to think of the best way :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my C9-A1 since late september and have had NO problems ! Before shooting it for the 1st time I installed BT's grip plug and the spring cups . The cups might be why I've had no problems but IDK for sure ? I love this gun and want a Caracal C w/QS to rotate it with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had mine for about a month. It had a 2011 built date so it's as late as it can be. The trigger is excellent and fairly accurate. I make more consistance bulleye hits with this gun compare to other pistol I had. So far I got one light primer strike with this gun, recock and the shot fine, after 250 rnds.

·
Registered
505 Posts
blueorison please explain your statement . I've always called them "clips" or "magazines" .
http://www.knewance.com/comparisons/clip-v-magazine.html

That's the short explanation.

Clips can be fed into guns with internal magazines, or used with systems such as the AR/M 5.56 systems, to load magazines.

Magazines are not clips, and completely surround the contained rounds (except the top round). They are completely different.

I hope that helps :)

I've shot with law enforcement that called magazines, clips. Some don't care. I just try to be friendly and share knowledge. I don't want to call a jeep a truck, and perhaps you don't, either :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had my C9-A1 since late september and have had NO problems ! Before shooting it for the 1st time I installed BT's grip plug and the spring cups . The cups might be why I've had no problems but IDK for sure ? I love this gun and want a Caracal C w/QS to rotate it with.
Personally, I think my issues are stemming from my lubrication methods throwing the gun out of time.
I'll have to look into the spring cups though.

It took me some time to get used to shooting the sites accurately.
From my personal experience, I've noticed I have to aim less to hit more. Relying more on my brain to aim than my eyes.

Pop cans are a bit hard to hit from 10-15 yards though.
They tried to stage a revolt.
I wiped em out.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to nitpick, but concerning descriptions, ammunition clips are not the same as magazines. I hope that was a nice way of saying it, I tried to think of the best way :)
I fixed it for you.
Now stop OTing my thread. :p har har har.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.knewance.com/comparisons/clip-v-magazine.html

That's the short explanation.

Clips can be fed into guns with internal magazines, or used with systems such as the AR/M 5.56 systems, to load magazines.

Magazines are not clips, and completely surround the contained rounds (except the top round). They are completely different.

I hope that helps :)

I've shot with law enforcement that called magazines, clips. Some don't care. I just try to be friendly and share knowledge. I don't want to call a jeep a truck, and perhaps you don't, either :)
Being an ass like this myself, I do appreciate the correction. =)

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Can't let them pop cans get too uppity, shoot 'em again for a good measure!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't let them pop cans get too uppity, shoot 'em again for a good measure!
Did a follow up sweep with 300 22lr rounds outa the 22-a1.
Easier to stomach 3 pennies a shot vs 1 quarter a shot.

I really need to get about 4 or 5 magazine clips for that 22-a1.

Correct that one Blue. :p hahaha

·
Registered
505 Posts
Being an ass like this myself, I do appreciate the correction. =)
:eek:

I've had a few Steyrs. Actually, they are the only 9mm guns I've ever owned. Weird, I just realized that!!!! WTH.

Anyway, whenever they had FTE's, after trying the new or old (either can work or not work) extractors, I just polished the chamber and put a 1911 plunger and spring in there. Makes the extractor a lot stiffer. Pretty much all you can do.

After a while, all the FTE's went away. They will FTE when dirty (1k rounds. I don't clean my guns.) But it's 1 out of 200 rounds FTE. Not like when before you fixed them, which would be at least 1 FTE per mag for me.

You just have to fix them and find out what they like. Sometimes the old extractors work better than the new, and vice versa. Just mix and match. They are very fixable.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:eek:

I've had a few Steyrs. Actually, they are the only 9mm guns I've ever owned. Weird, I just realized that!!!! WTH.

Anyway, whenever they had FTE's, after trying the new or old (either can work or not work) extractors, I just polished the chamber and put a 1911 plunger and spring in there. Makes the extractor a lot stiffer. Pretty much all you can do.

After a while, all the FTE's went away. They will FTE when dirty (1k rounds. I don't clean my guns.) But it's 1 out of 200 rounds FTE. Not like when before you fixed them, which would be at least 1 FTE per mag for me.

You just have to fix them and find out what they like. Sometimes the old extractors work better than the new, and vice versa. Just mix and match. They are very fixable.

I'd have to check with Head on the extractor, but the c9a1 has a different extractor than the older pistols.
1 in 200 rounds is kinda icky, but then I don't know if its my lubrication methods, because my gun is out of time. It was full of shavings too, so I'm not sure.

I'll run more ammo though it and see how it goes.
I need to put some heavier slide grease in there and try it that way to get rid of my primer smearing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just as a note for the C9 crowd: Today I went out with a CC shirt with a velcro side patch. First time wearing it, first time taking the C9 in that position for conceal carry. It is interesting how it "works". I need to play with the patch at a cant angle for easier pulling. I could do it alright, but in observation (for first time "jitters" with a new product and style of carry) until I practice pulling with an additional shirt over and moving my arm out of the way it was good to draw, but practice practice practice, of course. Still need the bullet fairy to visit, but looking forward to range time soon. I introduced my GF to shooting a couple weeks ago (Steyr was in the shop getting my trap sights) and she is now an addict. She looks forward to shooting my Steyr, seeing the difference in the trap sights over the standard 3 dot system.

Overall she *loved* the Kimber shorty .45, but I have little doubt she will love the Steyr. I look forward to giving a range report. Hope this helps anyone having questions about carrying the Steyr C9 for Conceal Carry! :popcorn:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about with velcro and stuff.

Does it attach to your chest hair or something? I'm confused. (and giggling)

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my opinion the C9 is the way to go ! I love the fullsize grip short slide configuration. Just wish SAI would get more 17rd mags in stock for my buying pleasure. Very soon the "mad stippler" will be doing my C9 !!! I can't wait !

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about with velcro and stuff.

Does it attach to your chest hair or something? I'm confused. (and giggling)
This is a white version. I have the A-typical black T-shirt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts