Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a c9-a1 pistol and have only had a chance to run a few rounds through it but when I looked the spent casings over they had "pin wipe" (that's what Google came up with anyway)it looks almost like a little tear drop on the primer. Is this common? I don't want to keep shooting with it for fear of breaking or damaging the firing pin and haven't had a chance to take it apart and look at it. Forgive me if didn't post it right or in the right category but I am a noob to this forum. I tried to look it up online but nothing came up for styers.

EDIT: I just realized the 45th from the left is a 380 round but it didn't come from my steyr. I accidentally picked it up after shooting a few rounds.

0705160725.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a c9-a1 pistol and have only had a chance to run a few rounds through it but when I looked the spent casings over they had "pin wipe" (that's what Google came up with anyway)it looks almost like a little tear drop on the primer. Is this common? I don't want to keep shooting with it for fear of breaking or damaging the firing pin and haven't had a chance to take it apart and look at it. Forgive me if didn't post it right or in the right category but I am a noob to this forum. I tried to look it up online but nothing came up for styers.

EDIT: I just realized the 45th from the left is a 380 round but it didn't come from my steyr. I accidentally picked it up after shooting a few rounds.

View attachment 2843
I will add this. I called Steyr and spoke to their guru about it, as I have new M357-A1 that did the same thing on my first trip to the range. It's not a problem, and the firing pin will hold up to being dragged across the primer and into the case. The Steyr design does not have a spring helping to force the firing pin back away from the case. He did say that once you had the slide off the weapon, you should be able to shake the slide back and forth and hear the pin moving. I could not on mine. I tore it down and there was a gooey red/orange mess on the firing pin that was apparently a combination of assembly grease and a red coating/paint that was once on the spring that is part of that assembly, but had flaked off form just sitting I guess. I cleaned it up and re-assembled and now I can hear the firing pin rattle like it is supposed to. I am hoping that relieves some of the wipe on the primer and cases. Moral of the story is always thoroughly clean any weapon you buy before firing. I have not had a chance to get back to the range to see if it helped, but it sure needed it anyway. Make no mistake, I love this weapon and it feels more concealable as a mid-size than other sub compact guns I have. My only wish list item would be a grip force adapter like you can get for a Glock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts