Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post here - thought I'd attempt to be helpful rather than lurking about (as I'm used to). Hopefully this conversation instigates a better understanding of these extraction issues.

I recently had a conversation via email with Jeff about extraction issues. His concluding comments are below. I have a L9-A1 and a C9-A1 who both exhibit erratic extraction issues. Jeff was kind enough to send me various extractor/plunger assemblies to try - but no permutation of the new components solved the problem.

"Unfortunately that is an issue we have contacted Steyr Austria about and so far there is not much of a cure right now. However, I have noticed that higher grain ammunition seems to work better, also the CCI Blazer aluminum case stuff seems to work too."

Thank You

Jeff Reece
Product Technical Adviser
Steyr Arms Inc

Via his recommendation - I shot some Hornady 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr through them and both guns extracted predictably to the right (as they should) using the 147gr for 10 shot trials with both weapons.

I tested the 124gr with another 10 round test in both guns, with only one erratic ejection in both replicates. The Hornady 115gr extracted just as erratically as the plinking 115gr I had been using and getting nearly 80% erratic ejections. In summation, it seems Jeff is correct in his assertion that heavier grain ammunition works better with respect to the extraction problems. I have not yet tested the CCI 115gr aluminum stuff, but if I get my hands on some I will post my results here. Some Federal 147gr is on its way to me now (cheaper stuff than the successful Hornady 147gr rounds), and I will update this thread with the performance results of those cartridges as well.

I can't say with any certainty why the heavier grain cartridges are performing better - I have a rudimentary understanding of the weapons at best. However, like many of you, I've been trying to find a solution to this problem because it is frankly the only characteristic I don't like about these handguns.

Keep in mind this is after 500+ rounds through the C9-A1 and about 200 rounds through the L9-A1. Both handguns are under a year old, and were purchased new. Feel free to attempt to replicate my tests with your weapons and post your results (or ask questions, for that matter).

[/URL][/IMG]

Pic related: My closest friends (and their big mean cousin, Vera).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info, and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just curious. But have you tried flushing out the slide with degreaser/contact cleaner like crc electronics cleaner? Particularly the firing pin channel and extractor channel areas. I found that the packing oil/preservative that came on the gun can cause this if it is not removed entirely. It will cause binding of the springs and extractor. It took me a detailed strip and even more wiping to remove it even after I flushed out. The slide will look almost gray when all the preservative is removed. Then re-oil gun with rem-oil or heavier gun oil, it willI put back the black "sheen" on the slide. I used 150 rounds of sellior and bellot 115gr. Fmj no problems. Also, that preservative was inside the magazines so be sure to open those up and wipe out the inside of the magazine body, follower, and the spring.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The detail cleaning is a good idea. Mine came fairly bone dry and clean. But I may pull the extractor and give it a good once over. Hotter ammo will probably help as well. Glocks with the same problem usually perform better with hotter rounds. A lot of our favorite plinking/training ammo is fairly weak compared to many European ammo brands. I have to wonder if some slight reshaping of the ejector and/or extractor would affect spent shell trajectory.

Liontribe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny, had the same problem with my gen. 3 G19 also, AFTER I brought it over to the Glock factory for a checkup. Didn't realize they changed my extractor to the "latest and greatest" version with the preservative still on it till I went to the range and brass to the face started.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, I think I would prefer a 12 o'clock ejection to shells to the face. I think this should be a simple fix once the exact problem is discovered.

Liontribe

·
Registered
367 Posts
And yet I've got an L9 built Oct 2013 had it about 2 weeks now. Ordered it brand new. I've run about 150 rounds of Federal 115 gr FMJ roundnose through it. No issues. Not a one.

I gave it a light cleaning, it wasn't really gunked up anywhere. That's it. Go figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious. But have you tried flushing out the slide with degreaser/contact cleaner like crc electronics cleaner? Particularly the firing pin channel and extractor channel areas. I found that the packing oil/preservative that came on the gun can cause this if it is not removed entirely. It will cause binding of the springs and extractor. It took me a detailed strip and even more wiping to remove it even after I flushed out. The slide will look almost gray when all the preservative is removed. Then re-oil gun with rem-oil or heavier gun oil, it willI put back the black "sheen" on the slide. I used 150 rounds of sellior and bellot 115gr. Fmj no problems. Also, that preservative was inside the magazines so be sure to open those up and wipe out the inside of the magazine body, follower, and the spring.
Interesting - hadn't heard this before. I will give this a try...

Also of note, I made it to the mountain for some shooting this past weekend with some Federal 147 grain; and both weapons extracted predictably to the right for 48/50 replicates - meaning we can reasonably conclude that heavier grain ammunition is the way to go for folks with this issue.

I'll give my guns a deep clean and sensual massage with some oil to see if that fixes the extraction issue for the lower grain munitions ;)

Feeling like a downright scientist here, and that's coming from a med student. I'll report back with further information.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is good to hear. Same deal with the Gen 4 Glocks, they seem to prefer heavier grain ammo. So heavier and hotter ammo seems to give the best extraction trajectory. Very interesting.

Liontribe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts