Buying an M?-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Crunchy_Monk, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

I have been looking to get a handgun for some time with the intention of CCW carry. Originally, I was looking to perhaps get a Glock 26, or Glock 19. However, after some persistant (and humorous) pestering by my roomate, who is an avid Steyr fan, who took joy in constantly reminding me that "Glocks explode," I finally decided to give his steyr a try.

This was shot at around 10 yards.
    [​IMG]

Now, I have never shot pistol before, but have quite a few years behind a rifle in competition shooting. Now, I was not used to that much recoil, never really feeling it inside the shoulder much, but its nothing I cant get used to. Other than that, it shot like a dream. I notice also that the Steyr fit my hand better, and was not quite as "blocky" as the Glock.

Now, I did have a few FTEs, but I attribute that to my lack of experience with handguns and I suppose that I "limp wristed" the firearm. Somethng I will surely work on in the near future.

Also, some people complain about the steyr sights, but I really like them. I actually think the ease of which these sights can be aimed, and maintain a sight picture probably helped my shot grouping a bit. I like them.

In the end, I am very pleased with the Steyr, and will be looking to get one here in the next few days, I just havent decided on what caliber yet. Any suggestions in that area? Im not too familiar with pistol calibers.

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *monk :)

Welcome ta The Club. The M40-A1's and the M9-A1's are available thru CDNN right now for $349 + $10 shippin' to your FFL, which ya can usually add an additional $15 to $35 for your FFL transaction. Ya won't find the Steyr M-A1's anywhere for less, NIB...ever again, unless CDNN has a price drop. <shrug> 9MM ammo is less expensive than the 40 SW ammo and provides for a greater round capacity. And, the 9MM will always have less recoil. But, that call is up to you. Either way, the M-A1's are a great choice for an auto loading pistol. If ya go thru CDNN for the M-A1 purchase, talk to Jerry Thomason. He's the Steyrclub connection at CDNN and ya can reach 'im at 1-800-588-9500. Tell 'im "Wulf sent ya". Take care. :)

Wulf

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Right now, you have only two choices for MA1 pistols, 9mm or .40 S&W, which you can get at CDNN Sports for $350 and for a bit more from Davidson's Gallery of Guns affiliatated gunshops nationwide.

As to which caliber, see this thread: Finally gonna buy a MA1, but do I go 40sw or 9mm?

My opinion? Go for the M9-A1. I tried a M40-A1 and found the recoil a bit snappy and just sorta "weird." Others like it just fine.

I have a M357-A1 which I love, but trying to find the .357 Sig version of the MA1 is pretty near impossible right now. Several guys on the site have been looking for one to no avail lately. The next shipment isn't expect until sometime next year. :mrgreen:

4. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

CDNN

Yeah, I actually called them about an hour before my account with Steyr Club was finally activated.
    349.99 for the Steyr, and 12.99 for shipping and everything. So far the cheapest price I have found anywhere.
    I get my bonus from the state, effective Midnight Tuesday Night, so after I take care of a few other responsibilities I will likely be purchasing one from them. :D

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I'm partial to the 9mm caliber's price and versatility

6. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Well, I have found that it is hard (nearly impossible) to get an unbiased bit of information out of people in regards to the choice and effectiveness of any given caliber (i.w. 9mm vs. .40S&W). However, I have shot .40, and while the recoil is not terrible, I believe I would be way more accurate with a 9mm, at least when it comes to multiple shots in rapid succession. Also, my sister uses a 9mm (Glock 19) as her main duty/concealment weapons, and she swears by it (But, Glocks explode, so I digress.)

I was going to order the Gun today, but I overslept (I work midnights.)
    Is CDNN open on the weekends? Perhaps I can give them a call then, or ill just wait till....tuesday (Monday is a Holiday, drats.)

7. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

banks are open on monday I don't see why cdnn isn't open. seeing how it is veteran's day and veteran's used firearms.

I don't know if they are open on the weekends. I don't see why not?

8. tcurtis

tcurtis New Member

Buying an MA-1

Hey Crunchy, I just purchased an MA-1 in .40S&W. Really pleased. I was going to get the 9mm but the dealer had trouble getting that caliber, but they had .40. I'd shot the 9 and it was really smooth and easy to handle. Compared to the other popular 9's; Glock, Beretta, Sig and I think the H&K it just felt the Steyr a much more modern weapon. The .40 was no problem to handle.
    Great choices. I had one FTE in about a couple of hundred rounds and it looked like the pin slightly misfired off center.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds like you have it figured out. The only "solution" to the caliber war thing is to pick whatever you are the most comfortable with - it sounds like you are using the right thought process for your selection. 8) I vote that you give CDNN a call Monday and see if they are open - the sooner the pistol is in your hands, the better. :twisted: Be sure to throw up a range report after you get it...

10. Just something to bear in mind.

The cdnn investment MA1s are older stock they purchased from a liquidation from Steyr Arms Inc. The new shipment of Steyr MA1s will have the mannox finish, which is an improved more robust finish that will wear less over time when used in a kydex holster.

Also read the tacked post here about the Magazine springs and be sure if you do purchase a cdnn investment MA1 you take down the magazine and check the spring. Also if you purchase from cdnn investment you will want to clean the pistol down to the last part as some of their stock I think tends to be stored in in high heat conditions sometimes, which isn't a problem beyond the gun oil becoming like crude.

So, clean it up and run some WWB through it for about 500 rounds break in and you'll be good to go.

11. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

That is excellent info for the perspective first-time MA1 buyers out there like me. Question? What about Davidson's stock? Are theirs the new mannox finish? And what is "mannox by the way? Is it equivalent to Melonite or Tennifer which aren't finishes but same/same chemistry impregnated into the base metal that adds hardness and anti-corrosion resistance? What kind of finish do CDNN's guns have and what is their approximate date of manufacture? Thanks.

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

All the Steyr pistols in the U.S. currently have the Tenifer finish, same as used by Glock and others.

New Steyr pistols, which are promised for arrival early next year, will have the new Maanox finish, which is supposed to be an improvement.

13. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thank you sir. I see nothing wrong with Tenifer or Melonite - both are the same, just different trade names for the same process so I am curious how Maanox is gong to be better. I guess that accounts for the attractive prices on the existing inventory of MA1's. Once the new model comes out in early next year, can we expect a price jump?

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The attractive price from CDNN is because Steyr dumped them for some fast cash before a company sell. Bet your sweet bippy the new model will cost more than $350.

There currently is no better deal on a new pistol than the CDNN Steyrs.

I have two .40 Steyrs, and I'm quite happy. Even so, I'd buy 9mm if I was in your shoes.

15. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thanks. As you can see I am still very much in a learning mode as far as the MA1 otherwise I have been shooting for over 30-years mostly Sigs, Glocks, XDs, HKs and now Walther. Yes, the 9mm is what I am after. Especially since I am top heavy with .40's and with my 50+ year old prone to tendinitis arm, a little less recoil is a good thing.

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The question earlier about the new Mannox finish? I just stumbled across this info sent to Wulf about it.

[​IMG]

17. Yeah, I think the mannox finish will set a new standard in the firearms world really.

I'm pretty excited about it.

18. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

A "matt de luxe, black optic with outstanding functional preferences" AND "the new surface avoids from abrasion", while it "avoids reflection of...moon rays"?

Holy Cheap Translation Software, Batman!

[​IMG]

19. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Sounds like a great improvement for a hunting/tactical weapon continuously exposed to the elements. Not sure what it really brings to a handgun unless it too it's getting some fairly rough treatment. For me, rust reduction is more more important than wear reduction and Tenifer or Melonite (which the current Syeyr has) does a good job in that department and the chemistry is imbedded fairly deep into the base metal so even if you elect to refinish your gun, the Tenifer or Melonite remains. It also adds a certain degree of hardness which is good. I just hope that this new wizbang maanox finish is not being used as the justification for a major price jump because the current finish and chemistry is pretty darn good for the average joe.

20. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Here's what Jack Riddle at Steyr emailed me today regarding Maanox:

"Afternoon, ....the new Mannox finish is deeper and harder then any other firearms finish in use today. It is very highly scratch and wear resistant and 99.9% impervious to weather conditions, and I don’t know what that .1% is!! Steyr Mannlicher has been an innovator since 1864 and the Mannox finish is our latest concept. Jack"

I like the "highly scratch resistant" part. 'Makes me more willing to swap out sights myself.