Bring me back to Steyr.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Elbows, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Elbows

Elbows New Member

Background: My first non-issue firearm was a Steyr M9-A1 circa Christmas, 2007. I loved the handgun, though I did have the old "short" magazine spring issue, and Jeff was kind enough to send me a replacement extractor upgrade.

Later, when SAI dropped the M9 line from the market, I ditched the gun. I don't keep firearms that aren't supported, or become increasingly tough to find holsters/magazines etc.

Fast forward six years. I currently own two Walther PPQ's in 9mm. One of the finest handguns I've ever owned, and without question the finest trigger. However, I have always liked Steyrs and I have a couple of things which are nagging at me.

1) The Steyr can take a quality RMR install easily/cheaply. The PPQ can not.
    2) The PPQ is a great gun, but being a slender guy, the pistol grip is a little long. This may be rectified in the future with a compact model, but this isn't a sure thing.

So. I talked to a Steyr owner on another forum when I saw his RMR'ed M9. My ideal plan would be to acquire both an S9-A1, and a C9-A1...provided the slides are interchangeable, as well as magazines. Is this possible? Furthermore, what's the "newest" S9-A1 model and how can I locate it online or in-store? I know the C9-A1 is relatively recent, so I don't expect too many variations.

(Obviously, all of this is likely going to be hold over for a few months until the political panic dies down...)

So, convince me.

2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I have a S9-A1. The S and C slides are the same; only the grip length is different(someone please correct me if I am wrong). I like the S9-A1 ergonomics over my SR9C,G19. I also think the quality of the S9-A1 is a tad higher than the aforementioned guns. The S isn't that hard to find. Even GB has had them for $489 which isn't bad. I paid more than that but by the time I would have paid my local FFL to do the tranfer plus shipping it I would have come out the same.
    I have not heard anything bad about the PPQ. I just don't like the styling of the gun. Looking at it sorta reminds me of a SR22.

3. lurkerwisp

lurkerwisp New Member

A mag for the C will fit in the S but a mag for the S will not fit in the C. This is because the S takes a shorter mag than the C (or M) and the 10-rounder just isn't long enough.

I have both a S9 and a M9-A1, and love them both very much. I also have a Walther PPS, for those days when my clothing doesn't leave space for concealing a fat double stack. I do feel that my two Steyrs are more solidly built, and that's not at all because I dislike the Walther.

4. Elbows

Elbows New Member

If anyone owns a PPQ and an S9-A1 model, I'd like to see a comparison of the two. Wayne, I trust you have no problem swapping slides between your S and C model then?

I'm torn because I shoot my PPQ's better than any handgun I've owned, so the Steyr will have to win me over again.