break in period?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by eazyeddie, Apr 16, 2007.

1. eazyeddie

eazyeddie Guest

dose any one have a fool proof break in for the ma1 .40 ???

i herd about just racking the slide and using no rounds i was woundering if that really worked?

any info would be helpfull

2. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, eazyeddie,

Great purchase on the M40A1. I've had my M9A1 for almost a year and about 4,000 rounds. It's my favorite pistol, and I have several. Except for some dry fires, I didn't do anything special to break it in. I did disassemble it as described in the manual and applied a small drop of Kleenbore oil to the front and rear of both frame rails. It's run like a champ right out of the box. Some people on this board seem to be more generous in lubricating their Steyrs. Just a little bit works for me. At about 2,000 rounds, I had three FTES with Remington UMC ammo. These are the only malfunctions I've had. I haven't used that brand of ammo since. I mostly shoot WWB and American Eagle, all 115-gr FMJ. I really like the trap sights. Very quick and natural target pick-up. Good luck,

3. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Shoot it. Clean it if you want. What works for me.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Take it home after you get it and give it a good clean and lube. If you don't plan on shooting it that day (or the next), leave it with the slide locked open. You can also remove the magazine and gently rack the slide - all of this should help to break in the guide rod spring a bit faster. I don't know if it actually works, but a few members have reported good results. Other than that, just shoot the piss out of it and have fun. :twisted:

5. Working the Slide on any new firearm is a good idea.

I also worked my extractor plunger back in and out with my finger a little bit before my first range trip.

Lube as per the tutorial and avoid leaving lubrication on the striker (striker should be dry).

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Rack the slide before you get to the range and then shoot about 500 rounds

7. jnclement

jnclement Guest

+1. It's not a 1911.

8. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I discovered that you can go about 500 rounds without cleaning before the M-A1 starts to malfunction. In my case, the slide would start not completely returning to battery. (I was using cheap Triton 180gr FMJ at the time of malfunction.)

I cleaned and oiled my baby last night, for the first time. My personal standard now is to clean it at least every 400 rounds.

9. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

Does that mean you don't clean it after every shoot?

I usually run at least 200 rounds through mine every time I go to the range and clean it when I get home but I would probably still clean it even if I only fired one round.

Maybe I'm just ocd about it. lol

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...Me 2.....

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!!!!!

:D :D :D

11. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Historically, I cleaned my gun(s) after every range session, but I wanted to see how long I could go without cleaning my Steyr before it started to malfunction or, if no problems arose, before I got close to my late May LFI-I class.

It actually wasn't until about 550 rounds that I had my first failure to return to battery and it wasn't until well into 700 rounds that I was getting the failure every few rounds. For most of those 700 rounds I used WWB and the above mentioned Triton. That was my torture test and now I will pursue a regular maintainance routine. The M-A1 is not a Glock in its ability to run dirty, but then, we knew that already.

Last night I also cleaned my partner's 3913 since it was not cleaned the last time it was at the range. After it was all clean and reassembled I was holding it and it felt so awkward with its low hold. It felt like too much of the gun was above my hand. I am tempted to trade it in for the Walther PPK/S I want. My partner is fine with that, but I am sentimentally attached to it since it is her gun and she bought it while we were in that crazy, head over heels, just-met-you, I-am-interested-in-whatever-you-are-interested-in-honey state and she will never by another gun. I am just a sentimental fool.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

awww, that's real sweet posterboy7.

good question, "how often should i clean my gun?"

great answer, "how often do you want it to work?"

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I clean about every 400 rounds