Break-in completed

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by AllenTC2, Sep 9, 2007.

1. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

545 round of WWB without a single hiccup....and that was WITHOUT a thorough cleaning beforehand. Two friends and I went out and pretty much shot for 2+ hours straight. They both loved it. The slide release has loosened up considerably.

Now I just need to printout the "how to" .pdfs, learn how to really strip it down and give it a good cleaning. Oh, and sign up ASAP for a course or two so I can get the most out of it. :D

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Great News, AllenTC2!!!!

:D :D :D

I am gonna refer some peeps here the next time they start trash talkin the Steyrs!!!!

:roll: :roll:

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

545 in a gun that hasn't been cleaned in years, excellent.

4. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

"Cleaned in years"? Have the M-A1s been sitting around that long?

Dumb question, but I want to ask just to be sure....there is no mechanical difference between the M series and the M-A1 series, correct? I've printed off all the "how to" stuff and I don't want to dick up my pistol disassembling it.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You can check the date code of your pistol using babj615's excellent graphic here. Most of the CDNN pistols are about two years old I believe. Good to hear your initial impressions were favorable - I'm sure she won't let you down. Welcome aboard! 8)

6. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I got mine last week, had an FTE on the second round (remington UMC), then the next hundred of the same ammo were fine, then I did the first cleaning, and 200 more wwb and reloads with no problems. Currently practicing with my .357 S&W 686+ for my next qualification, because I can't get a consistently high score with the M9 at 25 yards =(

7. Dag

Dag Guest

You can qualify with a .357Mag wheelgun, but NOT a Steyr M9? :shock: :!:

I must be missing something.

So, your friends shot the M9 well, but you're having problems getting good groups at 25 yards. Is that right? Tell us a little more. Trouble with the Steyr sights? What do your groups look like? Does another autoloader shoot better for you?

Dag

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I probably shouldn't admit my ignorance, but I didn't read anything about cleaning my new Steyr pistol in advance here at the club -- obviously didn't read much -- and when my M357-A1 arrived in December 2006, I took it out of the box, dry fired it a bit and took it to the range and shot the dickens out of it.

Came home and ran a bore snake through the barrel and made several more range trips with the same routine. She didn't skip a beat and didn't look dirty, so I never even field-stripped her until well after 500 rounds.

BigTaco shamed me into it then when I met up with him in Pittsburgh in July and got one of his guide rods installed before we went to the range. All she ever had up until then was a bore snake and she never skipped a single beat.

I probably shouldn't have done it that way, but I got to say, is this a great pistol or what? Just keeps on shooting. I don't have a doubt in my mind that I can bet my life on my M357-A1. But I have mended my ways and do strip her down every once in a while for a good cleaning and lube and Slide Glide for the rails. :mrgreen:

9. vonhess

vonhess Guest

Problems

My wife has a M9 and I remember having some problems in the begining. But afer several hundred rounds the problem was gone. Now she has fire some number between 7,000 to 10,000 rounds and no problems. She love it. :D :lol: :wink:

10. kevin5182

kevin5182 Guest

see i just got mine and the first day out on the third shot jammed bad, had to use the bench and push down on it to eject the round. this also happened to s friend of mine who has a ma-1 9mm as well. the mag release is really tight now as well the mag just does not drop out like it used to. i dont know about this gun, my glock has not given me any problems and it has aout 1200 thru it. any suggestions?

11. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

I think first of all you need to tell us more about the jam. You can have three types of problems with a firearm....failure to feed, failure to fire and failure to extract. So what happened with yours? What kind of ammo was being used?

12. rosebud

rosebud New Member

Yes. I can get good groups with a sandbag on the M9. I think that I just need to get the trigger lightened. I'll probably use a water bucket to measure the weight on it soon. I shoot 1911s very well and glocks acceptably well. My groups are really poor but generally in a random quadrant-size area on the m9. I like the sights, and have the tip of the triangle a little above the top of the side bars, covering where I want the bullet to go. I'll report back after I check/clean/maybe adjust the trigger.

I got a 92/100 today shooting UMC .357 loads for my qualification. Dirty as shit, but my dealer was sold out of the normal Fiochi that I shoot.

13. kevin5182

kevin5182 Guest

it was a failure to extract, and fire the round. the round was struck, but it was struck to the side not dead center. i was using Fiocchi 115gr and remington 147gr.

14. rosebud

rosebud New Member

Well, I found out that my trigger is slightly over 12 lbs, even after 400 rounds through. I cleaned and lubed the striker and slide assembly tonight before I measured it also, and the perceived pull didn't change. Should I try sanding out the striker, or just send the thing to SAI for service?

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i can't imagine that your trigger is truly 12 pounds. that's a gallon and a half of milk.

step one would definitely be a good cleaning. it's the first thing that SAI would do.

if it really is 12 pounds, i'd absolutely send it in. it should be more like 6.

16. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I'm quite aware of what 12 lbs is, thank you :p I was astonished also as i had to keep adding weight to get the trigger to break. As for cleaning, as I said before, it is totally cleaned and lubed, so we'll see how much better it is when it comes back from SAI.