break-in ammo

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by xjrat, Nov 24, 2006.

1. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Since I am new to handguns and especially Steyr what would be a good break-in ammo? I am not to familiar with the different types of ammo, I grew up just buying what was cheapest for my .22 rifle so with ALL the choices for my new m40 a1 I want a good break-in ammo. When ever I rent a gun at the range I just use their ammo, should I just use their ammo? How many rounds should I expect to put through it for a break-in as well?
    Also what is a good home self defense ammo for a small apartment?
    Frangable, Hollowpoint etc...

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

For inexpensive practice ammo I have used CCI Blazer, American Eagle (not American ammo), Winchester white box, Fiocchi, and Sellier&Bellot. Also, you need to run a decent amount of any JHP ammo you are going to use for selfdefense to test for reliability.
    Break-in is usually around 500 rounds.
    Good luck.

3. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

JHP ammo??? I am bad at acronyms, my wife is an the Air National Guard and is ALWAYS using them and I just nod my head and agree and say YES DEAR!

4. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

UHH never mind I got it Jacked Hallow Point right! :?

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

An added note, use your break-in ammo before the hollow points. Once the gun is broken in you can test your Self D ammo and make your decision............It might not work well before the break-in period and you'll have to do it all over again.........$$$$$$$$$$$$

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Frangible is junk - don't expect more than a few inches of penetration in a person. If they stop after you shoot them, it's only because they want to - frangible will NOT penetrate deep enough to hit the vitals and force a stop. Stick to JHP. Search on any gun forum and you will find tons of threads bashing frangibles for defense.

JHP is the ONLY way to go for SD. For .40 I like Winchester Ranger 180gr. RA40T. It can be hard to find, but it's a great round. 155-165gr. Gold Dots are great, too.

I would break the gun in first with whatever range ammo yoy wish before trying to test the function of your defense stuff. I would hate to see you scrap a good defense load because it won't feed, only because the gun isn't broken in yet.

I've always used WWB or CCI for breakin - just go with whatever is cheap.

7. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

WWB, CCI? Ok I need help with those. Any one thought of a sticky or FAQ about the common acronyms used here or in handguning in general? That might be something good for novices or people new to the site, they could just go right to it if they have a question. It would save them from having to search else where. It would make a great site even better! :idea:

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

WWB = Winchester White Box. Generic ammo that can be had almost anywhere that sells it. Usually the cheapest option.

CCI is just another common, cheap brand. They make both aluminum and brass cased ammunition and I have had great luck with both.

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Easy to find on CDNN...........12.00 box of 50........great deal :!:

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

For some reason, I didn't think he was located here in the states. Looks like I was wrong...

CDNN is one of the best deals around for the RA40T. I usually pick up a few boxes in various calibers at gunshows. Here in TX, I have to pay taxes plus shipping on anything from CDNN :(

11. alagator

alagator New Member

Remember, xjrat is acronym challenged :wink: CDNN is an internet company that sells forearms and related items. The Arms and ammo are not on the website, but on a catalog you can download from the website:
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
    The Ranger ammo is on the last page of their latest catalog (if memory serves me).
    Hope this helps. I use CCI Blazer aluminum case ammo for break-in and practice in my 9mm Steyrs, and use the Ranger ammo for defense, after having sent 200 rounds through with no glitches.

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Even with shipping and taxes 12.00 a box is outrageous!!! Normally this would cost twice as much for 50.............

13. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

Terminology.....
    https://www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?na ... sc&start=0

on SD ammo, for an apartment where thin walls, and overpenetration are a problem, frangibles like Magsafe and Glaser are IMHO a good choice. However they are so expensive that to do a good reliablity test on their function and feeeding in a semi-auto would cost a fortune, but for revolvers I think they are great.
    As a compromise for semi-auto's look for a JHP that is designed for maximum expansion (as opposed to the ones designed for good penetration) the Federal HST line of ammo would be my recomendation.

14. SELFDEFENSE

15. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Thank you alagator I am acronym challenged and I am not ashamed of it. I know that I too can live a normal life with the right medication and help from good people like you!
    Also FlaChef Thanks for the link, I still think that need to be a stickey or in the FAQ or in the left side menu. You guys have all been helpful and keep it comming I love this stuff.
    Still I just wait until sat afternoon to pick up my steyr, HURY HURY HURY you stupid 10 day waiting peroid this is killing.

16. SELFDEFENSE

BTW, regarding overpenetration, I use Federal 9BP in my home defense mag. Probably one of the most effective rounds in such a mild loading. Otherwise it is Winchester Ranger T 147 gr. 9mm