Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I had the same problem most of you do with my L9-A1, even after 500 rounds of a variety of bullet weights. True, it likes the hotter stuff but I bought it for plinking. Thus, I made a steel guide rod and used a variable 14 lb 1911 spring (NOT the plunger spring which I tried first and absolutely does NOT work). Sure as the pope defecates in the woods, it started to consistently eject brass in the 3-4 o'clock direction. The factory spring is too heavy for typical yankee loads and thus the flacid ejection pattern. I suspect this is due to 9mm chamber c.i.p pressure testing standards being 10,000 psi higher than SAAMI (implying that, on average, they rock hotter ammo across the pond). All I had were the variable type but you should be able to tune it to your loads with something in the 14lb weight range.
All the best

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you for your reply, I sold the gun months ago. Tired of spending money to fix a problem I don’t have with any other guns. Loved it, but if it’s not dependable it has to go. So it went!
I am trying hard to get to the mystery of this pistol. After a broken firing pin three weeks after buying it, I think I'm getting closer to solving all it's mysteries. I don't know if I can get the trigger to consistently be the same though - it seems to be about 5 or 6 squeezes that are good and 4 or 5 that are not so great (a little gritty). I've done all the "fixes" so I'll be trying some other things. It may end up just being a fun range gun, which is kind of disappointing from a Steyr. If I could just get the trigger to be consistent. I bent the ejector a little to get ejection to 1 o'clock instead of straight up so that was a win.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts