brass marking on the slide problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by nc_gunner, Feb 19, 2007.

1. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

I shoot at an indoor range these days (moving to an urban area kinda forced me into it) and I'm getting used to the environment with one exception; flying brass. There are full height walls between each lane so you won't eject hot brass onto the guy next to you (this is good) but I'm getting empty brass ricochets off the wall as I'm firing. Last time I was on the range I caught a couple upside the head, 3 down my sweatshirt, and a couple bounced off the slide.

After I got home and tore my M-A1 down for cleaning, I noticed a brass colored mark on the top of the slide. It appears that, when one of the ejected shells hit the top of my slide, it actually left a mark. There isn't a gouge or other indication that the finish was compromised, but I can't seem to get the brass residue to come off either. Long story short, how the bleep do I get it to clean off without screwing the finish? It's just a fit and finish question, but has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Sounds like you're shooting at PDHSC. I had a mark like you described on my slide, but given its daily wear and tear as a carry gun, I just left it, and subsequent cleanings seem to have removed it.

3. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

Thanks for the info Thunder. I'm actually further west in NC, though, so I don't shoot at the PDHSC. There's an indoor range in Greensboro called Calibers that I found recently. I'd recommend Calibers to anyone in the Triad area.

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I work with brass extensively and can tell you that it is a very soft metal. Probably what you are seeing is some scuffing of the brass onto the hard finish with much of it getting into the "pores" of the finish. You might want to hit it with a gun cleaner designed for dissolving copper bore residue. I wouldn't scrub at it to any great degree as you are more likely to do harm to the finish from excessive scrubbing. Even though I'm certain that a bore cleaner would be okay for your slide finish, you might want to try a patch inside of your slide first where it won't show.

I'd lightly hit the area each time that you clean your gun, and after a while I think that you might find that much, if not most of it, is gone. As Thunderbrear said, that's just daily wear which is part of it all. But once you find a way to remove the brass scuffing it may not bother you so much as you will know that you can remove it any time that you want.

Buzz

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Is the Steyr finish roughly the same as the Tenifer finish on Glocks?

I read in one of the recent gun mags I bought that you can remove metal rub-off on the Glock finish with any good bore cleaner and a nonmetallic brush, like a toothbrush. Scrub vigorously, repeat until copper is gone.

But I'm showing my ignorance as I don't know if Steyr finish is the same as
    Tenifer, so take my advice with a bucket of salt. Trying an area of the finish inside that doesn't show sounds like a good first step, as already said.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

As far as I've read, the metal receives the same Tenifer treatment that Blocks do, then it's parkerized. Tenifer is a metal treatment, a chemical bonding process, not a finish, so the tenifer is NOT coming off. Finish might wear, but the tenifer won't.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yup, Tennifer isn't going anywhere as from what I have read the treatment penetrates into the steel. You can remove the black finish without any concern. And, from what I've heard you can send a slide back to Glock and for $40 they will re-apply the black finish, something I might do with my G36.

Buzz