Bought Scout 223, have some questions

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by DeaconBlues, Apr 8, 2017.

1. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues New Member

I just purchased a Steyr Scout 223 in FDE, pretty excited to get it but it's going to be a while because of our convenient 10-day wait here in the People's Republic of California. In the meantime, I have a few questions.

I am purchasing a Leupold FX-II Scout scope to go along with it, and I am planning on getting the Leupold QRW rings to go along with it. To anyone who has this combination, will I need the low or medium sized rings?

Can this rifle safely shoot 5.56 NATO, or .223 Remington only?

I wouldn't mind upgrading the iron sights, are there aftermarket sights available to replace the standard polymer sights?

Thanks!

2. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues New Member

Answered most of my own questions tonight because I got to inspect the rifle in person. I bought it new from Bud's Guns, started the DROS at my local dealer, now my ten day wait starts.

Leupold's Low QRW fit perfectly. The rifle is 223 only, no 5.56 NATO. I still haven't found aftermarket sights.

An interesting fact I was not expecting: my rifle has a threaded barrel. It's threaded and has a thread cap on. That must be a new thing, because I haven't seen that on other examples of the rifle.

3. styersafan

styersafan New Member

Congrats on your new purchase.
    After market add-ons for Steyr is quite hard to find, if they exist at all on the US market. I have the urge to tinker with my rifles from time to time but haven't done so because there is so little improvement that you can think of. Be happy with it as it is and post some pictures when you are ready. Thanks.

4. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues New Member

I picked up my Scout finally. Cleaned it, lubed it, and ran Snap caps through it. Once the finish on the rims wore I started getting a lot of double feeds, with both magazines. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to give it the inaugural test drive. We'll see if it double feeds on real ammo.

I'm bummed I missed out on that magazine sale Steyr had over Easter.