Blade Tech Holster

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by faol, Nov 15, 2007.

1. faol

faol New Member

After 5 weeks of waiting, my Blade Tech IWB Holster finally arrived. I can say I'm not too impressed!!! I had to take out the retention screws altogether in order to get the pistol to even fit. If you put them in, even a hair, you can't get the gun out or put it back in. It's as if the screws and bushings are too short. I can always put in longer screws and bushings; but, at $60 for the holster, I expected it to fit. Has anyone else had this problem??

2. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

The Kydex holster you bought is most likely the same, actually it IS the same. I had to send my pistol off to them so they could make a mold for future Steyrs.

First Tip...

Buy a CR Speed (by name) belt. Everyone sells them. Expect to pay less than $40.00. It is really nice and works great at the range. There are two parts to the belt. The first part is the soft fuzzy side of the velco attachment system that feeds through your belt loops and holds your pants or thong in place securely. The outer shell is the less comfortable hook side that you attach your holster to and mag pouches. When you get to the range, simply pull your exterior belt (which your holster stays attached to) out of the range bag and attach it VERY quickly to the inner belt (already holding up you Daisy Dukes).

If you buy any mag pouches, DO NOT BUY the double pouches. The reasoning behind this idea is that you are limited to two pouches side by side. You are forced to grab the next mag when you are on the run. What if you reach down and do not grab the next one in line. The mag can be held in place by the previous magazine. The single pouches can be spaced to allow extraction while on the move. The last thing you want to do is drop a full magazine and be forced to picking one up fifty feet back.

As for the the holster....

Go to a nut a bolt store (preferably not a big box store, but a nuts and bolts store) and buy you some screws that are a little longer that the factory ones. This will allow you to back the retentions screws out farther without having them to fall at your feet un-noticed. Attach the new screws in place with either red or blue LockTite and don't forget to pick up some small washers to take the extra slack between the rubber stand off washers and the Kydex holster. Some people will tell you to use blue not red, because blue is easier to remove them out. I don't want them to be moved out.

I have stretched my holster out to allow easier removal when the beep sounds at the range. I have used a heat gun to soften the Kydex and pull it slightly outwards to give a more fluid removal of the pistol. Always buy some extra screw/bolts, just in case some DO fall out.

If you haven't purchased a CANT for the holster...order one immediately. This allows the holster to drop a couple of inches allowing a quicker removal of the firearm. It also allows the holster to slightly lean to and fro for easier pistol extraction The single mag pouches also can be heated to allow the mags to be removed quickly.

I couldn't find any factory black screw/bolts (only stainless) so go into the other room a steal your kids sharpies and color them black. You solve two problems by stealing their Sharpie Pens. First, the bolts look factory and Second, it prevents them from writing "For A Good Time" on the school's bathroom walls.

If you need anymore help, PM me.

I hope this helps. Take Care,

MTS

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I have a drawer full of Blade Tech holsters for many firearms, including my Steyrs....

All have taken 5-8 weeks to arrive, and all have fit just fine out of the box, with some minor tension adjustments to get it "just the way I like it".....

Care to post a photo?

I wonder if someone made a mistake [on either end], as they have a few options to choose when ordering a holster from them....

Was it for an "M" or "S" Steyr, if a Steyr at all?

An original, or newer "A1" design Steyr?

Give us some details!!!!!

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

My experience has been similar to babj's (though I only have 3). High quality, semi-painful lead time, but ultimately worth it.

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Sounds like the holster is for the original M series.

My Blade Tech UCH is kind of loose, actually, I had to tighten it for better retention when I got it.

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

That's what I would check. M vs MA1

7. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Regardless of the reason. A $60.00 holster should fit with out completely reworking it. Everyone likes to tweak a Kydex rig a little, but it should fit the pistol right out of the box.

Call BladeTech. I'm sure they stand behind their product. They should "make it right".

8. faol

faol New Member

Well, I called and apparently they sent me one for the original M series. They claim it's what their order states; although I know I told them MA1. They offered to take that one back and send me another (another 5 weeks), but I decided not to. It only cost me .73 cents for the new screws and bushings. The holster works fine now and I'm now quite content with it. Even with the error, I still like Blade Tech's quality and their Customer Service!

9. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I gotta tell you (sorry Bab), I have tried a lot of Kydex holsters and Blade Tech is NOT high on my list. I much prefer Rich's thinner Kydex (Custom Carry Concepts) offerings, ditto for Comp-tac (unfortunately no offerings for the Steyr), FIST and Crossbreed. I have had two Blade Tech IWBs, both of which were constructed of very thick Kydex which doesn't bode well for comfort and concealability. I hope that Crossbreed will agree to fill a need for another moderate-priced, comfortable, concealable Kydex IWB to complement Rich's line. That would give us two good choices for synthetics. ('Looking forward now to receiving my leather AKJ Concealco IWB. I hope folks know that the MA1 has been added to their "Ready Line" so delivery is fast. Thanks AKJ.)

Having said all this, holsters are a very personal thing. And comfort/concealability is largely a factor of body built, weapon config, belt, and choice of clothing. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Blade Tech IWBs just haven't worked for me as well as other holsters (but they may work for you).

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

No apologies necessary!

:wink: :wink:

11. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

That's why I like this site. The maturity level here is quantum leap from what I've experienced at other sites. When I post here, I'm relaxed and it's truly enjoyable. Good folks, good talk. Conversely, at Glock Talk you'd be well advised to suit up for battle. I'm getting too old for that c--p. :)