Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newcomer to forum, but not to Steyr pistols. Just bought, ran 200 trouble-free rounds through, and started to carry a Sa1 9. I rank this pistol right up there with my HK P7 in terms of accuracy and ease of carry. After only a few days of carry, I have noticed the black finish on the left front of the side (rubs against my right hip) is wearing off exposing a goldish undercoating (Tennifer?). It is purely a cosmetic issue and I am not concerned as it will be my primary carry pistol for a long time to come. I am curious though. What is the black finish and can it be touched up from time to time. It seems to be awful fragile for a final gun finish. Thanks, Dustoff

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same thing happen, too bad I can't post a pic here, and sent it back to them and awaiting it's return, they said it is surface only and can be rubbed out, I can advise you about their exact instructions when the gun gets back to me.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
What holster are you using? If you're going to carry a gun, you're going to have to accept that the finish is going to get roughed up. My Blade-Tech kydex holster did quickly smudge a bit of the finish at the front of my slide, but only in that one location and it hasn't gotten any worse over the years. I'd like to see a picture of the wear if possible - it's always interesting to see the "added and varied character" these pistols develop through carry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What holster are you using? If you're going to carry a gun, you're going to have to accept that the finish is going to get roughed up. My Blade-Tech kydex holster did quickly smudge a bit of the finish at the front of my slide, but only in that one location and it hasn't gotten any worse over the years. I'd like to see a picture of the wear if possible - it's always interesting to see the "added and varied character" these pistols develop through carry.
my gun wasn't smudged, it looked as if it was rusting sent it in and they claim it is surface only and is easily rubbed off, we shall see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Syntax, I am using an open muzzle holster which allows rubbing contact with my hip. Mine is not rusting, just very rapidly rubbing off the final black finish. I have carried for years and am not new to minor wear on carry firearms. Not alarmed either, it goes with the territory and adds character to the pistol over the years. I was just surprised at how quickly the finish wore off. Back to original question, what is the coating / finish and can this finish be reapplied by me using cold blue, etc.? I don't want to send mine back for what has occured. However, if it shows signs of rusting, like apbvguys, it will go back.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
I am not aware of any product you can DIY at home to fix this, unless the finish is completely rubbed off and you are cold-bluing the exposed metal. Steyr used to use tennifer; they are using a new (similar) product these days that I believe is called Maanox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts