Big T's SS guide rod.... An objective look.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by TheGuyver, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Well, I recieved my new uncaptured SS guide rod from BigTaco, (That's some quality work man :D )

I am skeptical as to the need for it, so Big T offered me a deal, He would send me an uncaptured rod, to test, and I'd post an objective review on it.

The first thing I noticed was the weight.... Holding the stock rod with spring, in one hand, and just BT's guide rod in the other, BT's was noticably heavier.

Now to get the spring off, easier said than done, but I found the trick to be finding something to rotate into the spring, spreading it at the end, that wasn't too heavy, to let go of, in order to rotate the rod through the spring.

For me, a jewlers Philips head screwdriver fit the bill.

Just place it in the end of the spring, and rotate it around until it spreads the end of the spring enough to allow you to rotate the guide rod's capture end into the new opening. Once the captured part of the rod is inbetween the first coils of the spring, you just keep rotating the rod all the way out. I'll say this, that spring is a heck of a lot longer than I thought it was.

This was really pretty easy, compared to installing the uncaptured guide rod and fully expanded spring into the slide assy. I learned a few new 4 letter words, but with a little patience, I got it done.

I was a little worried, at first, because the uncaptured end of the guide rod was so much smaller than the captured end of the stock rod, it looked like there would be a lot of slop in the hole, (in the slide), it goes through, while the slide is racked rearward. But not to worry, the inside diameter of the flat spring holds the rod nicely in place, equidistant from the edges of said hole.

I would absolutely go with the captured rod if you are going to purchase one. The ease of installation alone will make it worth any price. If this performs like I think it will, I will buy one.

Now to schedule a trip to the range..... hopefully soon, if work permits.

Stay tuned.

2. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Was hoping to see an upodate on this :D

3. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

You will, just swamped... I'm trying to put together a range trip with my bro...

4. nixon

nixon Member

BT's G-Rod

Steyroids,
    Any improvement from the flimsy plastic guide rod to a top notch stainless steel is by any measure an upgrade - my opinion of course. You don't have to wait for a breakdown to happen to compare the difference. I have tested it on a limited basis of flawless shooting (100 rds. of 9mm) and it serves its intended purpose of giving you a smooth, consistent, a tad faster (maybe because of the added weight) slide return to battery and I'm happy I bought. Again, my opinion. It's your call.

Nix,

5. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

I can see it giving a slightly faster return to battery because of the coating, and less friction, but not really because of weight. The guide rod doesn't move, so it can't add to the inertia of the slide.

Less muzzle jump.... that is where the extra weight will come in handy IMHO. I'm just wondering how much less, and if it is even worth it for the casual shooter, like me. The plastic rod is far from flimsy, and I've yet to hear of one fail.

Tim Allen might go ahead and snatch one up for 'More Power'... :lol: , but I like to test drive things, or atleast see substantial test results, before I buy.

6. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

OK, finally got to the range...

I must say that first and foremost, my accuracy improved...

From 15 yards I achived a 5.5 inch grouping... I know... it's not great, but it was indeed a first, normally I'm hard pressed to keep the grouping around 7" to 8"... I may not be the worlds best shot, but 10 rounds in the chest will stop anyone, and a 5.5 inch grouping would put every one in the chest area...lol

Muzzle flip was not noticably different with the SS rod, but then improved accuracy tends to make me believe it was reduced quite a bit. I'm going to get a captured rod asap.

What really puzzled me was totally un related to the rod. My pistol was in storage since installing the rod, for about what...2 months? When I pulled it out of the safe, there was some kind of corrosion all over the slide finish. It wiped off with a lightly oiled rag, so no big deal right... then I dissassembled the weapon and found a lightly rusted recoil spring...wth??? ( I completely cleaned and oiled the pistol while installing the rod, it was a light coating, but then I didn't expect it to take this long to get to the range.) Once again, this cleaned up with a lightly oiled rag.

Other than that, the weapon performed flawlessly.... another 300 or so rounds without a single FTE/FTL :D

After the trip... I cleaned the hell out of it, put a tad more than a moderate coating of rem oil on everything, and changed where I store it. My bro's safe, not mine. I'll check it in a couple of months to see if I have a repeat of the corrosion.

The SS rod is a must.... you may not notice a difference in the shooting of the weapon, then again you might, but you will damn sure see an accuracy boost. Well... I did anyway.... GL Steyroids

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Guyver,

Do you have a DeHumidifier in your safe?

:? :?

8. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Hi, Guys,

I am wondering why we need to get new guide rods? Does it mean the original ones are not strong enough?
    And, what is the difference between the captured and not captureed?

I just got a new M40A1, should I also buy a new guide rod?
    Besides, the M A1 is already a little muzzle heavy, and it would get heavier muzzle if a heavier guide rod is added in.

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

You do NOT need to get a new/different guide rod....

Just some of us cant stand 'not to tinker'.....

And the Stainless just feels and sounds and looks so nice.....

:wink: :wink:

It will be a tiny bit heavier, and therefore reduce muzzle flip....

Captured is like what you have now: the spring stays on the rod....

Un Captured: Spring is loose and can be a little more tricky to install.....

But, not that tricky.....

8) 8)

10. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Thanks.

In case the original guide rod is broken, can we ask for replacement from Steyr for free?
    Besides, what is the time of waranty for a M A1 pistol?

11. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Nope, just your top of the line keypad Sentry fire safe..... I need a gun safe.

I'm going to get one of those large bags of decadent to put inside it.

Funny thing is, there was nothing on my SS NAA Blackwidow....

The safe does kinda smell like mildew, with no evidence of any. I think I'll clean it out with chlorox anyway....

:evil: :evil:

I'm pretty sure that if the guide rod breaks from normal wear and tear, (very very unlikely), Steyr will replace it for free, but you will probably have to ship the weapon to them.

If it gets broken because something really heavy crushes it while you had the pistol apart cleaning it, chances are you will have to pay for it.

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

IF you ever break one, please photo it and show us here right away!!!

I think this will never happen....

I have never seen one break from Steyr OR Glock....

only failures I know about are from putting thousands of rounds through the same weapon without letting it cool resulting in a melted guide rod....

And, as you will find out, should you need to, customer service from SAI is second to NONE.....

:D :D

13. nixon

nixon Member

for me, anything to make the Steyr shoot better, so long as it's cost is justifiable and will somehow enhance functioning and like wise looks, I will go for it. The guide rod is one good example. Mine shoots a little smoother, more consistent return to battery = less gun oscillation = you shoot a fraction of the time faster = makes you feel good and confident = you shoot better.

Guyver's observation about his improved accuracy is very true.

Nix,

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Got my Big Taco recoil spring assembly back today. Very nice. I like the little extra weight it gives the gun. Will try it out this weekend.