Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Typically you can’t go wrong with a leupold and we are almost to some bigger sales of the year. I was a fan of the vx3. I have heard mixed things about their freedom line of scopes and dots. The few vortex’s I have had are all pretty solid as well with no issues. My oldes scope is a leupold on a marlin 30/30 from when I was younger and it’s been solid over the years. Typically for 100 or less I advocate for a red dot but a 1-4 will do fine. i would also consider weight if the extra power isn’t needed then there isn’t a great reason to carry it around. On my mdr in 308 I put a 1-8 on it, ended up selling the optic and going to a red dot due to the weight of the accupower in 1-8. In short I would be carful with the freedom line, although their warrant is good. I would also watch the overall weight. Normally I’m not one to care for a few ounces but a lighter rifle is nice for packing it around. I ran a course with my trusted piston at the other week and did the same one with a buddies polymer ar and I was surprised how much I liked it, especially after the kasarda drill.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
All depends on the quality of the dot and what you want to do with it. I have had good experiences with trijicon mro, aimpoint pro and micros, vortex, di optical, exps, meprolight, holosun, primary arms.

vortex was fine reliability but killed batteries a little quick

Xps has been solid reliability but still runs through batteries and a buddy says the circle dot is blurry to him.

mro is a good optic and a fair price but early ones had issues when faced with light and the dot smears if you use a magnifier

micros are awesome but price is high, I’ve bought a used H1 for pretty cheap but the h/t 1dot also smear under a magnifier but not as bad as a mro does. This was fixed with the h/t 2.

Holosun and primary arms were pretty cheap and I haven’t broken one but also haven’t used on a full cartilridge. Mostly 556 and 9mm.

do optical has been a good optic and still original batteries. I have one on a g36 clone and a spp. good low profile optics from Korean military

Meprolight has made one of my favorites with a circle dot rds pro in green. Good optic without issue and common battery. Although meprolight hasn’t been great on warranty work from what i have heard

I plan to try a sig red dot optic next. Only optics I have broken were crap ones from truglow. I did have one optic but I can’t remember what it was that I killed on a sds saiga clone and only one I sold was a accupower due to weight and battery life, although that’s not a red dot. I wouldn’t say I beat my optics up but I also don’t baby them. Rifles have dropped and are bounced around in the truck and on courses, but I don’t intentionally drop them on the optic or anything like that. As for accuracy I have hit man size steel with a mro on a ak at 200 yards standing after a 100 yard run without issue so I think they can do the job, although I would go 2 moa over 4 moa dot. The 4 moa on my micro is a bit large to me. Last week I had a mro on a mdrx and a acog on my lwrc and they were similar groups. The difference I think the mdrx isn’t a sub moa gun but both grouped well enough at a 100, but when I tried to use the magnifier the mro smeared so I left the magnifier off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts