Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an old Banner I have available on my Scout .308 with the intention of replacing it later. I have been looking at some of the Tactical 1x4's or 1x6's from Vortex mostly. I plan to pick up a Leupold when one is on sale, but I'm in no hurry. Am I going the right direction with a scope? Does anyone have suggestions. I plan to use this like Col. Cooper intended, nearby my side when I'm outside on my ranch, more of a defensive gun than a hunting rifle. Around 100 yards or less.

·
Super Moderator
282 Posts
Typically you can’t go wrong with a leupold and we are almost to some bigger sales of the year. I was a fan of the vx3. I have heard mixed things about their freedom line of scopes and dots. The few vortex’s I have had are all pretty solid as well with no issues. My oldes scope is a leupold on a marlin 30/30 from when I was younger and it’s been solid over the years. Typically for 100 or less I advocate for a red dot but a 1-4 will do fine. i would also consider weight if the extra power isn’t needed then there isn’t a great reason to carry it around. On my mdr in 308 I put a 1-8 on it, ended up selling the optic and going to a red dot due to the weight of the accupower in 1-8. In short I would be carful with the freedom line, although their warrant is good. I would also watch the overall weight. Normally I’m not one to care for a few ounces but a lighter rifle is nice for packing it around. I ran a course with my trusted piston at the other week and did the same one with a buddies polymer ar and I was surprised how much I liked it, especially after the kasarda drill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the idea of a red dot, since I have other rifles for hunting, they are just older. I had talked with a friend who didn't like his dot because it wasn't very rugged. But that could have been the model. I also wasn't sure about accuracy at longer ranges. I have one on my 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
282 Posts
All depends on the quality of the dot and what you want to do with it. I have had good experiences with trijicon mro, aimpoint pro and micros, vortex, di optical, exps, meprolight, holosun, primary arms.

vortex was fine reliability but killed batteries a little quick

Xps has been solid reliability but still runs through batteries and a buddy says the circle dot is blurry to him.

mro is a good optic and a fair price but early ones had issues when faced with light and the dot smears if you use a magnifier

micros are awesome but price is high, I’ve bought a used H1 for pretty cheap but the h/t 1dot also smear under a magnifier but not as bad as a mro does. This was fixed with the h/t 2.

Holosun and primary arms were pretty cheap and I haven’t broken one but also haven’t used on a full cartilridge. Mostly 556 and 9mm.

do optical has been a good optic and still original batteries. I have one on a g36 clone and a spp. good low profile optics from Korean military

Meprolight has made one of my favorites with a circle dot rds pro in green. Good optic without issue and common battery. Although meprolight hasn’t been great on warranty work from what i have heard

I plan to try a sig red dot optic next. Only optics I have broken were crap ones from truglow. I did have one optic but I can’t remember what it was that I killed on a sds saiga clone and only one I sold was a accupower due to weight and battery life, although that’s not a red dot. I wouldn’t say I beat my optics up but I also don’t baby them. Rifles have dropped and are bounced around in the truck and on courses, but I don’t intentionally drop them on the optic or anything like that. As for accuracy I have hit man size steel with a mro on a ak at 200 yards standing after a 100 yard run without issue so I think they can do the job, although I would go 2 moa over 4 moa dot. The 4 moa on my micro is a bit large to me. Last week I had a mro on a mdrx and a acog on my lwrc and they were similar groups. The difference I think the mdrx isn’t a sub moa gun but both grouped well enough at a 100, but when I tried to use the magnifier the mro smeared so I left the magnifier off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like to make another suggestion. Without knowing OP’s use for his/her scout, this is what I think.
1 this is a 308. I would skip red dot because it would limit the rifle’s effectiveness down to 100 yd. anything over 100 yd, it would be more or less crap shoot imho. With 800y yd capability of scout, red dot will be a limiting factor.
2 Most of red dot are min of 2 moa dot size. Give and take the shooter will add another 1 moa with bipod or 2-3 moa without support, you are looking at 3 moa min with red dot. Not too good if you are hunting.
3 1-3x variable is an ok option. That will get me out to about 150 yd with bipod. I have fine that I need 2x magnification per 100 yd of distance to get under 1 moa on my better rifles from bench. Some shooter can do 1x per 100 yd. also, I prefer FFP vs SFP of OP’s choice.

So, I prob will go with an 1-4x min because the price difference is not too much within his brand of choice. With another $100, I would prefer 1-6x to better utilize the 308 scout’s capability. Most likely 1-4x can use your current 1” mount/ring. Going w 1-6x will prob need to use 30mm mount/ring.
Don’t have to stay with a brand, any major brand will work. Even Cabelas house brand is a good deal too. Used one can be a good option too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts