best inexpensive beer

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by squirrelpotpie, May 14, 2007.

1. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Its gettin to be that time of year for yard work, outdoor barbecues, and gun cleaning - after more frequent trips to the range, and was just wondering what Steyr Club members recommend given their fine taste in firearms.

I like Guinness and Sam Adams and will pick them up on occasion when they go on sale and drop below a buck a bottle but most of the time they are more than I'm willing to pay. Also like Yuengling but it is hard to find outside PA so lately I've been working my way through some Coors and just wondering what other folks are drinking when the money is tight or they are expecting a crowd. Saw something called Milwaukee's Best on sale for around 10 bucks a thirty pack and was just wondering if its any good. Typically only drink a couple at a time so a thirty pack, while inexpensive, is something I'll be stuck drinking for weeks.

So, your opinions are appreciated.

2. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Ah, Yuengling... Can't get it in Indiana either. Sometimes I have my mom bring me a case when she visits.

I am partial to Michelob and Amber Bock. I was disapointed when they changed the sexy-woman-body Michelob bottle for the same one every other company uses.

A bar a couple blocks away servers Guiness on tap and I do not take advantage of that nearly enough.

3. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint New Member

I guess I don't drink enough beer to look closely for the seldom deals on the brands I like.

Call me a beer snob, but here are my rules to buying beer:

1. Beer can't come in a can (Guinness being the only exception)
    2. Twist of caps are on a case by case basis
    3. Green bottles are bad. Causes the beer to skunk.
    4. If the marketing campaign involves anything that has to do with NASCAR... RUN!

If you're looking to really tie one on, beer's not the ideal choice... Go with the liquor and get there quicker! haha

I have found a couple of cheaper (depends on what you consider cheap) that I like though. Shiner Bock is good as well as Blue Moon. Both are good summer BBQ beers, not to heavy...

4. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Blue Moon is a staple in our house.

I am a fan of Becks, but I am not sure it falls under the cheap catagory. I count the foil wrappers on the bottle necks a bonus. I just love peeling those things!

5. Sound25

Sound25 Guest

If I am at a bar, I enjoy a local beer here in WA called Mac and Jacks... Great flavor. At home, its either Dous Sequi (sp*?) and Groulsch... Non of this is cheap. But I am stingy. Lol. I wish that Mac and Jack was bottled, I would have cases of it, but it's only a tap beer. Dah well.

6. icecreamman

icecreamman Guest

milwaulkees best is just about the worst
    imho, stick with the rolling rock
    i know it's a green bottle, but for a cheap beer it ain't bad
    there's always shlitz though, not as good as RR but cheaper and they just don't name beers like that anymore

7. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I'll vote for the Double X. It's actually spelled Dos Equis, Sound25. If I can't get that my backup is usually Heineken. If we're having a big thing and I need lots of beer I'll get budweiser cans.

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Rolling Rock on the cheapo side.
    Bass Ale on the not cheap side.

9. amonkey

amonkey New Member

My fav domestic beer is BLUE MOON. Absolutely. 5.4% alch. a little faster on the buzz train. Average price around here is $12.99 a 12 pack.
    My fav CHEAP beer is Icehouse. Not really tasty, won't get you drunk very fast but no aftertaste and $5.99 for 12!!!! :roll:

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Make that +3 for Blue Moon. I love Belgian Pale Ale and Blue Moon is made here instead of in Belgium so it's cheaper.

Backup plan is St. Pauli Girl or virtually any German pilsner that's on sale. The best of the pilsners is the original Czech, Pilsner Urquell, but seldom if ever on sale. Worth spending the extra when you can find it.

Heineken Light when I'm worried about getting fatter, which should be all the time, but isn't. Or even Miller Lite.

11. soapyballs

soapyballs Member

Dos Equis Amber. smooth creamy goes down easy.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

cheap beer? i'm rocking a fridge full of bud light now, which is a step up from the usual busch light, but a far cry from the michelob that used to haunt my favorite cool, dark place.

college in pittsburgh has left yuengling with a pretty high standing.

don't know how widely available great lakes brewing company is, but ANYTHING they do is "reasonably priced" and completely spectacular. i will go out of my way to find "elliot ness" on tap.

another beer i might recommend is czechvar. not sure if it's nationwide. it's billed as "the budweiser of czech". so much so that they tried to name it czechbud!! but it really is good beer, imho.

beamish for the heavier stuff. it's like guiness. but replace the bitterness with a floral/fruity palette.

german beer? erdinger all the way!!! pricey IF i can find it. it's better in germany, but everything beer-like is

:D

milwaukee's best... not so much. you don't get much good flavor no matter what so you might as well step up to beast ice and grab some respectable alcohol content while you're at it!!

13. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Befor anyone gets offended at this it is a HUMOR!

Beer is actually HORSE URIN :shock: If you have
    ever been around BIG horses like the clidesdales when
    they pee, and they pee ALOT at one time, it smells
    just like beer. I used to drive by a Miller plant and
    let me tell you that the beer brewing on a large scale
    regardless of brand smells just like urin from a horse.
    And it should if you think about it, it goes through the same
    processes and is made of the same stuff. I will take for example
    the clidesdales in the bud pens, they are treated better then MOST
    people by the way, they are feed a rich diet of oats, barley, hay and
    other asorted grains and they drink ALOT of water. Then it goes through
    the breakdown process in a warm place then then comes out a very
    yellow and foamy liquid that smells the same.
    When I was a kid growing up around horses, one day
    after almost getting peed on by a horse while cleaning a rear hoof, I snuck
    a taste of someones very warm beer and let me tell you the smell was the same
    and that runied it for me. That and my family was against alcohol, but I have grown
    up and could care less if people like to drink or not, I like a good glass of wine myself,
    I have tried a few beers since but it does nothing for me.
    so more power to you all just think about the horse thing sometime it is funny.
    Go and be SAFE my fellow Steyr bretheren... oh and CHEERS
    :D

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

LMAO xjrat!!!!

I agree....

I much rather enjoy a glass of wine or even better, some Jack & Coke....

I like the hard stuff myself!

15. Angel

Angel Guest

Last time I had Coors, Bud or Michelob, I was about to throw up. Can't believe I drank that stuff in college!!!!
    Please stay away from Milwaukee or Colt anything.

Blue Moon is good stuff, along those lines Hoegarden (sic?) and Paulaner Heffeweizen (sic?) are also great. You can find Shiner Heffe for cheap sometimes and that's what I get when I am watching my cents.

AmberBock is one of the better mass brews, when it is fresh. Talking about fresh, Sam Adams Summer Ale is quite good, too.

And then there is always Corona Light with lime for those hot summer days around the grill.

Enjoy :)

16. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

+1 Sam Adams Summer Ale

17. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

BTW squirrel:

Kudos on the choice of topic in the Pub

18. smores

smores Guest

I am a HUGE fan of Stella Artois.... I don't know what it is about that beer but either out of the bottle or on tap there's nothing better, IMO (I plan to build a kegerator one of these days, and that's the first beer going in there... ;)). It's much much better than Heineken, IMO. I like Guinness, but only on draught. I can't stand it out of bottles (maybe I should try the cans?)

The best CHEAP beer, I'd say is Budweiser. It's just got a taste unlike any other American beer, and I can enjoy it either in bottles or the 16 oz. cans (I call it the Power Pack ;)).

Other than that, there's a brewery called Dogfish Head out of Milton, DE (http://www.dogfish.com) that makes some awesome stuff. Everything they make has a pretty high ABV, with the average above 7% IIRC. They make a lot of different flavored IPA's, and their famous 60, 90, and 120-minute IPA's (numbers stand for how long the hops are in). They make a great Indian Brown Ale, and several special seasonal varieties that have up to 20% ABV. They'll only serve you one glass at the restaurant though :(

However I'm not opposed to trying new beers. Every couple trips to the beer store I try to pick up something different. Variety is the spice of life!

Oh, and I don't just drink beer. I'm a BIG fan of rum and whiskey. I usually drink those straight, sometimes with coke or in a mojito, but rarely. My favorite varieties of rum are 10CANE (best ever, pressed from virgin sugar cane. It's worth the $23 I pay per bottle when it's on sale, TRUST ME) or Myers's. I do like Jameson for whiskey. Just goes down so well ;)

19. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

+1

20. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

+2 choice of topic.