Best Concealed inside the waist band holster for Steyrs

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by Dameander, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Dameander

Dameander New Member

2. Talyn

Talyn New Member

35 dollars, thats about the cost of materials!

Sits a little high for me too, but looks like a good holster.

It's gonna wear your slide where he molded the ejection port though, just an FYI.

3. Branth

Branth New Member

Well, damn... Now I feel like an idiot for springing for the Cleveland's Holsters rig! I guess I am going to end up with the ubiquitous "box of holsters" after all, since I think I might have to order one of those, and I've only got the one gun...

I'm digging the "combat cut" idea. I wasn't so sure before getting my first holster, but I'd really like to be able to get my thumb around on the grip properly before pulling the gun out of the holster.

4. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I've noticed with the IWB holsters it takes some practice to draw with a good grip. It's mostly due to the nature of the carry and how it fits against our body.

Do you want a gun tearing your side for a really easy draw, or a piece of leather to keep you warm and fuzzy so you forget it's there?

I made my own and from that learned a hell of a lot about it.

when I get more tools to do the holsters better I'll shoot a far better video of the do's and don'ts of good holsters.

There are a lot of things that bigger companies do that are "no no's" still.

Quite sad. =(

By far I am no expert, but I can look at 80 holsters, learn a lot and know what it needs to be.

I just don't have the practice making them yet due to money/materials.

Otherwise I'd probably have about 15 c9-a1 holsters up here for sale. haha.

Mine, that I made, works great, except how I set the retention. And while I did a lot of the holster right, the retention I did poorly. It's not coming out, but when you do pull it out, the way I set it up makes the corner of the slide rub on the holster.

I've literally hung up side down with this thing from the ceiling and not had any issues.

But Hybrid holsters are a bit different when it comes to a really really strong retention due to the leather giving. Thats why a lot of them have rubber grommets and are adjustable.

5. Branth

Branth New Member

Well, the Steyr doesn't have particularly aggressive checkering or anything, so I think I'd be okay with a combat cut. I might change my mind after wearing it for a bit, but I don't mind some polymer against skin.

6. Talyn

Talyn New Member

It's the slide that gets ya. The grip wont bother ya.
    Mines a combat cut as well, but I left the leather where the slide was.

Super cumfy.

7. cleveland

cleveland New Member

I hope you are kidding!

This holster is certainly an economy option, but the quality/design is nowhere near what you find in a Cleveland's Holster.

8. SteyrFTW

SteyrFTW New Member

Congrats on finding a holster you like! Steyrs are not easy to shop for.

I agree with cleveland. Certainly an economy option and there is nothing wrong with that. Can't argue with Made in the USA, either. You do give up the ability to adjust the cant which may or may not be a concern. I'm 5'5" 150 lbs, in other words a small guy, and currently I carry a full-size all steel 1911 in a crossbreed holster. Once you break it in the size of the holster doesn't matter and it fits your body like a glove. Now that I have a s9-a1 I plan on getting a similar holster for it. Crossbreed, Cleveland or one of those DIY Old Faithful kits. Bottom line I thought the holster was big when I got it but once it's broken in it's a dream.

9. Dameander

Dameander New Member

I've the holster for a little while now and I love it. My buddy has a cross breed and mine is more comfortable. Not sure where the other member gets leather and kydex from but it's pretty damn cheap if you know where to look. It's a solid product and and I've bought one for my glock 22 as well. Smaller shop (e.g. at home) equals less overhead and less cost to the consumer. I did actually add the combat cut to my holster to make drawing it quicker and I've stippled my grip but the best way to keep my gun from irritating my skin is to wear a A-shirt or tank top as an undershirt.