Best Concealed gun?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DDSheffield, Nov 12, 2007.

1. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Just needing to get another gun for concealment. Dont know what brand, caliber would be the best to do so. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

1) What calibers have you shot? What caliber are you the most comfortable with?

2) What size/mode of carry do you intend to use? IWB? OWB? Shoulder rig? Pocket carry?

3) How big of a concern will the weight of the pistol be? Are you looking for something you will forget you are carrying, or will you be just fine carrying a steel-framed behemoth?

4) How would you rate the size of your hands? Average? Small? Large?

5) What other pistols have you shot that you thought "really fit you"?

My personal favorite is my M9A1 IWB in a Blade-Tech UCH - I forget I am wearing it, it conceals EXCELLENT, and I feel it is the perfect size. No gun fits everyone perfect - we need a little more information to drudge up some good suggestions.

3. monsteyr

monsteyr Guest

Looked at the keltec p3at? The ballistics of .380 gold dots look quite good, and the gun is freakishly small for what it packs. Went to the local gun show a couple months back, picked it up, and broke all the rules (or at least half of em) like an ass. Think I pointed it just about everywhere while turning it around in my palms, and kept ending up holding the thing nice and snug with my forefinger covering the barrel. :eek:
    It's so small it's literally pocketable. I have a p11 that was the smallest full cap 9mm for a long time, but really isn't as small as I thought it was and I never carried it. I love the way my M9A1 magically aims itself, which is something the p11 doesn't do. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the p11, trade it in for a 3at, or get another MA1 and learn to dress different.

4. SA1 of course.

Hey, this is Steyr Club after all.

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

WORD

Here's my S9A1

[​IMG]

6. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

I have had in the past a Ruger p95 (9mm) and currently have the m40. I dont know what IWB? OWB? mean. But dont plan to carry Shoulder rig or Pocket carry. I want to carry and not know its there. I have small hand and would like to be able to get 3 fingers on for control. I would like to try and find Steyr S model to buy but they are hard to find around here. I go for my Class Thursday and am getting really excited to find another gun even though I just got my m40 3 weeks ago. Could a m40 comfortably be carried?

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

8. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Probably want to carry IWB.

And what about this 5.11 tatical coat or jacket? Is that a way to carry? Any good?

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

IWB does hide MUCH better.....

:wink: :wink:

I may be getting some 5.11 gear this weekend. If so, I will report back after review.....

8) 8)

10. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Thats the one.....

He moves it from Gunbroker to GunsAmerica and back.....

12. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Also another problem that I forgot to tell is that I'm left handed. So I need a good ambi gun ideas.

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'm a lefty, but the good thing about any DAO is you don't have to fumble around and try to reach the safety on the wrong side because there ain't one and you don't need one. Only safety is your finger on the trigger. I love my M357-A1 and my other DAOs, G29 and PF-9. But my Llama .45 is a 1911 design, so I just shoot it right-handed.

If you want a DA/SA with a dual safety and/or decocker, that does limit your choices. Most S&W autos usually have dual decocking levers, one on each side of the frame. And many of the newer pistol models in both DOA and DA/SA have dual mag releases and some even have dual slide locks, such as S&W M&P, Springfield XD and several others.

Pick up one of those gun annual magazines and flip through the listings and look for ambidextrous features. :mrgreen:

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I also shoot lefty - for me the M9A1 Inside-the-Waistband is the way to go. If you already have the M40, I highly suggest contacting user luvmy40 and having him send you one of his Kydex IWB holsters - you already have the gun, might as well spend the price of a few boxes of ammo to see if it will fit you for carry.

15. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Third lefty checking in.
    I recommend the Concealco IWB if you prefer leather.

16. azerious85

azerious85 Guest

IWB= Inside The Waistband
    OWB=Outside The Waistband

IMHO i REALLY like SmartCarry. one of THE most comfortable holsters i can have, definitely takes getting used to the fear of having a gun in the "nether" regions,but very nice and concealed.

look at all the reviews and it has GREAT feedback, youtube has a VERY detailed review on it from passions101

check it out

ww.smartcarry.com

17. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

As Netfotoj said, a S&W may be what you are looking for. I'm lefty also and I have a S&W P99 Compact and it works great for lefty's. Kind of the red-headed stepchild of a Walther P99 but I have had it for about 5 years and never a problem. I can't even begin to think of how many rounds I have through it :lol:

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Here's my S&W 669 subcompact 9mm, 3.5" barrel, stainless slide and alloy frame, about the same weight as S9-A1.

[​IMG]

Perfect for lefty like me with dual decock/safety levers, one on each side. Great DA/SA trigger, fingertip-rest mag pictured holds 12 rounds but I also have a S&W 15-round mag with flush-fitting extender and a Mec-Gar 15-rounder. This particular model is about 10 to 20 years old, fairly rare and no longer made, but S&W still has similar models available new. And you can find good buys on used S&W semi-autos in practically every gunshop.

I shoot this shorty as good or sometimes better than my M357-A1, certainly more often 'cause ammo's cheaper. :mrgreen:

19. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

M9 in a tuckable IWB for me

20. babj615

babj615 Premium Member