Bersa Thunder .380

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by posterboy7, Apr 27, 2007.

1. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Anyone have experience with the Bersa Thunder .380? I really like the Walther PPK/S, but my dealer has a Bersa Thunder .380 which I could get on a trade. I have read one very positive review of the gun. Reportedly they are very high quality and have very smooth triggers. I am going to check out the gun my dealer has this afternoon but of course I won't be able to shoot it.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It is probably the best buy on the market. I got mine for $195 OTD at a gunshow, NIB. The Thunder .380 has an extremely smooth trigger - better than the Walther, IMHO. The extended beavertail keeps your hand from getting bitten by the hammer or slide like a lot many PPK owners report. I've fed mine all kinds of junk in the way of ammo and haven't had it fail once. The pistol is just small enough to fit in the front pocket of most pants I wear - YMMV. Disassemble is a breeze and mine never seems to get very dirty. You will only want to use Bersa magazines - the aftermarket ones are reported to be finicky. I think they go for ~$25. The rights are great - it's quite the little "tack driver" for it's class. Plenty of holster manufacturers make something for the Bersa... there just isn't much about the pistol not to like.

The fit and finish are very nice for the $, IMHO, but it is no Walther in that respect. The Walther is made of higher quality metals, etc, but at half the price, you can simply afford to buy another Bersa should yours ever get too worn out.

I say go for it - I honestly don't think there is a better way to spend $200 on a new gun. 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out BersaTalk.com for more info on them...

3. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Thanks Syntax! I am thinking about trading my Hi-Power, but I am not sure the dealer would be willing to make up the difference on the Bersa in cash. He already told me he would give me $300 for the Hi-Power in a trade.

I am going to be building his web site so maybe if I am patient I can get the Bersa in trade for my services.

BTW, great photos! You could probably make a dang cool pistol calender with all the images you seem to have on hand.

4. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Went to the shop and it is $230 NIB. BTW, what is OTD? The owner wasn't in so I will have to go back tonight to make the deal.

What holster(s) do you use/recommend for it, Syn? I am looking at a Bianchi 100 Professional IWB Clip.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Out the Door (price).

I have some generic holster that was for another gun that I use for it - it works, but not very well. You should be able to find boatloads of holster recommendations over at bersatalk.com. It's just hard to justify a quarter the price of the gun for a good holster like blade-tech or comp-tac. If you do get it, let me know what holster you went with and how it's working out for you.

$230 is too high, IMHO. A shop in Dallas had one a few weeks ago for $150+tax.

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I am starting to reconsider... The Kahr K9 weighs the same unloaded as the Thunder 380 but is narrower and shorter lenghwise and comes in 9mm. Why oh why did I get rid of my K9 w/ night sights! Because I was stupid, so very very stupid.

Maybe I will just hold off until I can afford the K9. Again.

7. West01

West01 New Member

Whoa!

Slick pix Syntax...very cool... :D

I wan't one of those!

Cheers!

West01

:D

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have heard lots of good things about the Thunder, not the least of which is the price.

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Actually, what I really want is a S40-A1. Sigh.

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

You got that right Posterboy7! Syntax takes fantastic photos. 8)

You, Me, and almost everyone on this forum! Double sigh... :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Syn's secret for great photo takin' is safe with me......

8) 8) 8) 8)

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Syntax's secret for taking great photographs is a great photographer.

And a good-looking, sexy one, too.

Hint, it ain't him. (I don't know, but I been told.) :mrgreen: