beretta / stoeger cougar,

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by sewerman, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

looks like the beretta designed cougar is now made in turkey and imported by stoeger.

at $349 msrp with an estimated $320 dealer price this looks
    promising as another family gun.

good write up by madogre.com on the cougar .45
    look at the news tab on the left of web site and scroll down to find article. jan 07

2. Angel

Angel Guest

Yeah, since this one had an external safety where I expect one, I might get one of these to carry.

I wonder if due to its rotating lock design if it has less recoil than the Steyr M.

3. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

don't know about recoil management but the rotating locking barrel arrangement is supposed to increase accuracy.

CDNN is selling these for $299.00 + $9.00 freight to lower 48.

i have been seriously considering purchasing one.

cheers :)

4. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Bought 9mm Stoeger Cougar a few months ago...

And I really like it. I paid $370 including tax. I introduced a friend to pistol shooting and he really liked the Cougar too. I offered to sell it to him and he was happy to buy it. I had been planning to turn around and buy another one in 40 but then the gun shop that opened up two blocks away didn't have a deal with Stoeger yet. The place I originally bought it from is a half hour drive, I don't particularly like their service and I was in no hurry, so I was willing to wait for my local guy.

But then I started looking at other guns because I am not particularly fond of DA/SA actions and my wife has a S&W 3913 (DA/SA) that I shoot just as well with. Then I was in the shop and started talking to one of the other customers and he is a Sig collector and he mentioned he had a 229 SAS he was willing to part with for $725. Because the store was going to be closed the next two weekends because the owners were going to shows we arranged to meet at the store three weeks later at 10 AM on Saturday. We didn't exchange info - I think we both were not 100% on the idea - so I was not going to be surprised if he didn't show. I did some more research and I had it narrowed down, I thought, to a Sig 229 SAS, H&K P2000 or USP Compact with LEM and a Glock 23. I have a friend who is a tactical medic in the Coast Guard and swears by his Glock 19 and I shoot well with it.

So three weeks rolls around and sure enough, Mr. Sig doesn't show. Scratch the 229 SAS. The shop didn't have one in, it was more than I wanted to pay, and it has no rail. So H&K or Glock... The H&Ks were also more than I wanted to pay but the Glock just doesn't wow me. I took another look at the Steyr. It felt great in my hand, much better than I remembered, it is tight like an H&K or Sig, it points for me better than any gun I have ever held and it is priced the same as the Glock. Finally, the proprietor told me he and his partner in the store both have one and they love them. So I walked out with it.

That same day I ordered a Galco FLETCH holster and over 1000 rounds of Triton ammo. I hope to hit the range in a couple of days and will be taking an LFI-I course with it in May. I am also signed up to take a Defensive Carbine course which includes a pistol component of 100 rounds at the end. So in the next three months I should put almost a thousand rounds through my M40-A1.

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

make sure you test out that ammo i t he gun before going to the classes.
    I envy you the LFI class, the wife and I have wanted to take it for some time, Mas is also quite fond of the steyr pistols (I usually run into him at idpa matches down here).

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

not less then a Steyr.........although the rotating system is pretty cool.........grip angle is Beretta........

7. srfl

srfl Guest

I'm very fond of the Cougar....I have two, but both are Beretta-made; neither configuration is available from Stoeger and should be: 8045D Mini-Cougar and 8000F Cougar L.

I've heard nothing but great things about these Turkish-made Cougars.

8. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

FlaChef, I did test the Triton out and when I was doing my part it shot accuractely. It was dirty and had one fail to fire (which fired the second time through). If I have any more problems with it I will probably go with WWB, which is what I am going to probably use for the pistol part of the carbine course. I know you are supposed to train with the ammo you will be carrying but I just can't bring myself to shell out for 500 rds of premium defense ammo.

The 9mm Stoeger Cougar has the same bevels at the front of the slide to reduce weight as the Beretta Cougar L. The Stoeger guide rods are plastic instead of the original Beretta steel version and the barrel has been slimed down, again, I assume all to reduce weight.

Honestly, I hope I come to like my Steyr as much as I liked the Cougar in the short time I had it.

9. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I shot one a few weeks ago. I thought it was a bit bulky in my hands, but it shot nice.