Benefits Steyr SSG 04 A1 over SSG 04

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by denka, Jul 19, 2012.

1. denka

denka New Member

Is there any except for the longer top rail and on the sides?

2. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

I suspect the A1 addresses the issue with lack of rigidity of the forend, in addition to the additional rail "real estate" (which I see as of limited value on this type of rifle).

3. Jumbo

Jumbo New Member

I have the a-1 in 300wm as a tactical target rifle and the rail is great for my long Nightforce scope and it fits a night vision push on scope quite well ,and besides it looks way better

4. Firetiger

Firetiger New Member

does anybody know what the top end costs? and can the top easely placed on a ssg 04?

5. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

That last is a matter of opinion:)

I never had any problems mounting any conventional scope on my SSG04. Never had any call for NV, but I'm sure the additional rail is helpful for that, if you need it.

6. Sigma05

Sigma05 Member

I have both in 300 win mag, and the stiffening of the stock of the A1 is HUGE! I have epoxied aluminum and carbon stiffners on my regular 04, and it's still nowhere near as stiff as the A1 out the box. I do suggest that you remove the side rail "saddle" and trim the sharp edges that are close to the barrel. Improved accuracy greatly. Barrel harmonics seemed to touch that "saddle" during firing cycle.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"