Became an owner 2 weeks ago

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Travis James, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Travis James

Travis James New Member

Hi y'all...I became an owner of a M40 two weeks ago. It is an older 2003 model and the first day at the range was all I needed to reasure me that not only did I make a good decision monetarily but also as the ultimate in a carry weapon. This site was instramental in my decision to purchase this gun...Now if only Steyr would make a 5 inch barreled long slide...lol.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome aboard the finest gun forum on the 'Net!

And don't laugh too soon about a new large-frame Steyr pistol. That topic has been discussed several times and I wrote Herr Bauer, one of the big cheeses in Austria, about the possibility of new models, particularly one in 10mm.

His reply was that those plans are on the drawing boards, but he made no promises on a delivery schedule. In particular, he said .45 ACP and 10mm are two new calibers under planning and said he would buy a 10mm himself.

Since we have the S and SA1 models (Small?) and the M and MA1 models (Medium?) us Steyroids have come up with the L moniker for the new model (Large). So while it's still vaporware at this stage, at least we know the higher-ups at Steyr recognize there is most definitely a U.S. market for a large frame in .45 ACP and 10mm and one would presume the existing calibers also, 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig.

New delivery of MA1 and SA1 models has been promised after the first of the year and Steyr has reserved a booth for the Feb. 2008 SHOT show in Vegas, so they will most definitely be active in the U.S. market. No one really expects any L models to be introduced there, but an S357-A1 is highly anticipated as the next new model.

Of course, since new ownership took over the company earlier this year, several promised dates for delivery of new pistols have come and gone, so we've learned not to count our Steyr chickens until they have truly hatched. :mrgreen:

3. Travis James

Travis James New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum...I probably should've given a small back ground on the reasoning for my decision to purchase an M-40. My profession prior to becoming a computer support technician was as a correctional officer at the State Penitentiary in North Dakota. I was a sergeant there from 2001 to 2006. I always new their would come a point where someone would get released and have some hard feelings and I learned about 6 weeks ago that such an individual had been released and apparently knew where I currently work. Well, maybe he was talking smack and doesn't intend to get tossed back in to prison, but I figured I wasn't going to chance it. I had done some shopping around and looked at every thing from full sized 1911's and subcompact Glocks. Due to the nature of discretion inherent with working in an office environment a full sized gun of any type was not possible, but I wasn't too crazy about a sub-compact gun that I couldn't fully grip. Most of all I needed a good gun at a great price. I bought my M-40 for $399.99 + Tax. As it stands now I can go to work with a comfy pistol that won't garner any attention from my Uber-Liberal coworkers and one that I know functions flawlessly and accurately. As an aside note, my Fiance' likes to shoot it so much that she nags me to take the M-40 out and blow brass through it. I've got everything carte blanc. Pistol, $400.00, Ammo, $9.97, A woman who loves my gun as much as me...PRICELESS. Talk at y'all later

Travy

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Sounds like you're being prudent.

Take that M40 to the range and cycle a hundred or two or three rounds through it and make sure everything is properly broken in and in apple-pie order. You do not want a problem to crop up just when you need it most.

Is it a M40 or a new M40A1? If it's a new one, you should give it somewhere around 500 rounds break-in just to loosen everything up and work out any kinks. It also seems to help the trigger to smooth out to give it a workout.

If it's a used M40, it may not need that much break-in or even none, but I guess if it is you probably didn't get any idea how many rounds the previous owner put through it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put a hundred or two through it, both FMJs and whatever self-defense round you plan to carry also. Stay locked and loaded and be safe. :mrgreen:

5. Travis James

Travis James New Member

I purchased an M-40, the original. It was used, but judging by the wear I doubt the previous owner put more than a box through her. At present I have run 100 rounds of Blazer Brass series 180 grain FMJ's through her with no flaws or malfunctions. My only complaint was the gun came with a 12 round and 10 round Clintonized magazine. When I worked at the State Pen here in N.D. I got to try out a veriaty of firearms with out the issue of having to buy them first. All of the officers were enamored by Glocks and S&W Sigmas, all of which I found to have a mushy trigger and I hated them. This was one of many features that drew me to this pistol as it breaks at 5 lbs which if I recall is only about 1 to 1.5 lbs heavier than most production single action triggers. As far as I can tell it feels more like a single action with a heavy trigger and breaks crisp as there is no mushy travel to go through. The only thing I need now is to get all the metal hard chromed and I see that their was info on that on this forum. Also I need more 12 round magazines but I haven't had much luck in that department. The store I bought the gun from quoted $35 to $40 per mag and online seems to run $$25 to $35. I was wondering if there are any places that sell mags at a reasonable cost? I assume I will have to buy them online as North Dakota isn't a hot spot for Steyr-Anything. And before I go, I have read up that their are metal captive recoil guide rods for these little ladies, is that true and where can I purchase one.

Thanks for your support 'n' help.

Travis James

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Best bet for the mags will be CDNN. Great Service. Great Products.

Stainless Guide Rods can be found here. I have several of these as well. Another Great Product, and exceptional Service....

When you are ready to start lookin' for holsters, make sure you visit our holster forum as we have several member who make great products at more than reasonable prices....

Congrads on your new purchase!!!!

:wink: :wink:

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Welcome.
    Sounds like you have a real serious reason for carrying a piece.
    I agree on the subcompacts. Got rid of a Glock 26 after realizing that in a fast moving situation ultra-smallness is not a blessing.