Barska biometric safe - how to disable the beep

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by overmarkstrom, Sep 1, 2011.

1. overmarkstrom

overmarkstrom New Member

Barska biometric safe - instructions on how to disable the beep

I own the Barska biometric safe and like most people I don't like the loud 'unstealthy' beep it gives out when opening it, so I disabled it. It voids the warranty so you're doing this at your own risk, but with a soldering iron it can be done easily in 20 minutes by removing the speaker from the circuit board - located behind the finger print assembly on the door. You need to peel back a couple of layers to get to it.

The safe
    [​IMG]

Step 1
    Remove the black cover on the inside of the door. I don't have an image for it, but it's just 2 screws.

Step 2
    Remove the lock assembly (4 nuts) which is located behind the cover you remove in step 1.
    [​IMG]

Step 3
    Behind the lock assembly are 4 screws that hold the finger print assembly on the front side. Remove the screws and the finger print assembly on the front comes off.
    [​IMG]

Step 4
    Unscrew the 4 screws holding the plastic cover and lift off the cover. You now have the circuit board exposed.
    [​IMG]

Step 5
    Locate the speaker. It's a black cylinder about the same diameter as a AA battery.
    [​IMG]

Step 6
    Carefully heat up the 2 soldering points on the back side of the circuit board while pulling a little on the speaker. Once the solder filler material is heated up the speaker pulls right off the circuit board.
    [​IMG]

Step 7
    Assemble in reverse

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

Re: Barska biometric safe - instructions on how to disable the beep

very nice tutorial...well done sir.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Very nice write-up! It looks beefier inside than the GunVault line - may I ask what the safe set you back?

4. overmarkstrom

overmarkstrom New Member

Thank you - I got this one off eBay new and I think I paid around $150.

5. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

6. tango1112

tango1112 New Member

question for you. I realize this thread is older but I'm hoping you may remember. Did you happen to notice if there was perhaps a battery backup (maybe watch battery size somewhere) in you disassembly? My safe is making an intermittant beep and I've changed the primary batteries and the beeping continues. The unit came with no instructions and while I could use it as a key safe that would defeat the purpose of the biometric / keypad feature altogether.

7. Greengunner

Greengunner New Member

Just a thought... that kind of board uses Surface Mounted Devices (SMD's) and is very sensitive to heat damage, a locked-up safe will cost many $$$ to open.

'Have had great success killing piezo-electric peepers with hot glue; retaining "plausible deniability" vis-a-vis warranty issues. G-gunner.