Barrel rifling issue

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by Darklefthand, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Darklefthand

Darklefthand New Member

Hey everyone. First time poster here. I recently purchased an AUG A3, and when I was breaking it down the first time, I noticed something about the barrel that concerned me. When glancing down the barrel from the muzzle end, I notice a slash or cut that runs in opposition to the barrels rifling pattern.

I do believe it is at the spot where the gas piston is, so I imagine it's the vent for the gas, but I've been told by several folks that it doesn't look normal. I'm wondering, should it just be a tapped hole, and not a slot/slash?

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Darklefthand

Darklefthand New Member

I posted that initial entry a bit prematurely, but I was struggling with the picture upload. In any case, I wanted to post those for you guys to see, and I'm hoping that other steyr aug a3 owners will snap a pic and post, to help me determine whether this is 'normal'. If not, at least someone might take a look at theirs and compare/contrast with what I'm seeing down my barrel.

Ultimately, I'm concerned that it's a manufacturing defect, and something that could conceivably cause accuracy issues, or worse!

3. rebel49

rebel49 Member

No that is not normal. That is either a crack in the chrome or a defect in the steel, or a gouge in the steel. Contact Steyr and let them know about it. I looked at mine and nothing like that appears. I sure would like to look at that closer with a borescope, looks pretty ugly.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Yikes! Doesn't look normal to me, either... How does it shoot?

5. Darklefthand

Darklefthand New Member

The folks at steyr seem to think this us normal, and claim it happens every so often on barrels, but in no way affects the performance.

Ill take it to the range, as report back to you guys!

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If that thing isn't laser-accurate, I'd raise hell w/ Steyr. :mad: