Ballistics info

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by ChillyWilly, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Can anyone link me to reputable ballistics information. Preferably multiple calibers of the same brand and model showing things such as penetration, expansion, etc. This stupid caliber wars has me confused and I would like to form my own opinion based on actual perfomace data.

Thanks

Jerry

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

One of the best resources for ballistic information (albeit dated, but great for learning the fundamentals) is FirearmsTactical.com. This website has many articles by the International Wound Ballistics Association - the folks who literally wrote the book on terminal ballistics for 2-legged critters. This dandy little tool over at the Winchester Ranger page lets you compare some of their loads. I'll throw a few other good pages up when I get home if others don't link first.

General rules of thumb: even a magic bullet won't help if you can't put it where it needs to go - shot placement is #1. The FBI and IWBA spent a lot of time and taxpayer dollars determining what it takes to incapacitate a human being - 12-15" of penetration in gel correlates to shots that reliably hit the vitals in people - penetration is #2. Expansion is certainly nice, but a distant #3 - if the bullet doesn't hit the vitals, even the most impressive expansion isn't going to help you. Energy is a very distant #4 - if energy were the end all, be all then we'd all be carry Magsafe or Glasier or some other ultra-light, very fast, super-expensive load. Energy simply does not play a significant role in incapacitation when we're talking handguns.

3. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

That's how I see it as well although I do not discount energy (not saying you do) as I really don't know the science, but placement, penetration & expansion all are logically important....but I bet the "stopping power" differences are not as great as people think....kinda like going from 2.4ghz cpu to a 3.4ghz cpu.....unfortunately we as a people tend to over react.....I guess that why we have a right and left wing but no middle....