Bad time for a/c to die

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by aubie515, Jul 28, 2006.

1. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

My wife and I rent for the time being and our central air died on us today. I called my brother in law because he is a HVAC tech...he thinks it's a compressor issue. I hope we don't have to wait til Monday to have this issue resolved. It is suppose to be one of the hottest weekends this summer here in PA. I will have to contact the leasing office in the morning...doesn't it always seem that things break on the or around the weekend...

2. ScottW

ScottW Guest

It's never a good time for the A/C to break. Back in 2000 I bought my condo in Houston and the very next week we had three straight days over 100 and the A/C died, on a Friday. After going into a small hole with the mortgage and closing costs, you can imagine my excitement over having to spend an extra $1400 to be able to actually live in my new home! I wound up crashing with some friends for 3 nights until a serviceman could come out. Seems they were kind of busy that week LOL. So yes, I can empathize with you, but look on the bright side... at least you won't have to pay the repair bill!

3. Matches

Matches Guest

I guess we sent you that heat. It's finally been under 100 here in AZ. I used to work for a company that serviced AC. They really do breakdown more when the weather heats up. The AC unit has to work harder as the temp (and humidity) goes up. Working harded is more stress on the system leading to more breakdowns. Good luck getting it fixed in a timely manner. We frequently had to order parts.

Matches

4. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I like dry heat, but heat combined with high humidity is horrible. I spent some time in Kuwait a few years ago, so dry heat isn't too bad. The great news was the a/c unit was fixed on Saturday.

5. ZEEK

ZEEK Guest

Humidity is a killer. Spent about 3 months in San Antonio, Tx a few years ago from Jul-Aug 1998, and was mid-upper 90's with a lotta days 105+ and I was out riding bike or jogging every evening. I loved it. Glad I didn't have a lawn or garden to have to water.

6. Matches

Matches Guest

I just got back from Chicago. Man that was brutal. It had to be 90/90 .(temp/humidity)