Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Teruteru314 
#1 ·
Here's the set-up.

Steyr M357-A1, excellent condition. Functions 100% in every way - but one.

Georgia Arms Canned Heat factory reloaded .357 SIG FMJ ammo.

When fired, somewhere through a magazine, the gun will begin producing light primer strikes to the point it will not fire. Gun field stripped and the firing pin pulled. Turning the slide on the end, a small piece of primer, exactly the size of the firing pin hole, and with a strike dimple, falls out of the pin channel. It has obviously jammed the firing pin. Upon reassembly, the gun functions perfectly until......it happens again. It may be 1 round, it may be several, but it WILL happen.

WTF's going on? Bad primers? The firing pin pulling the back off the primer? (never heard of THAT) I dunno. HELP!

FWIW, ammo availability and prices have prevented me from trying different brands. The GA Canned Heat, if course, uses assorted headstamp shells, but the primers seem to be different brands, too, and they also seem to be not consistently seated (by eye).

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like the ammo is a little too hot. Somewhere in your brass you will find shells without the primer dimple - just a hole in the primer. Hot loads are indicated by flattened primers, hotter by a ridge around the primer dimple, and way too hot by a blown out primer dimple.

I would try to get GA to refund some money. Find a piece of brass with the missing primer dimple and send them a picture. I personally would stop firing the weapon with those loads. You're just short of Kaboom!

#3 ·
The exact same thing happened to mine in an IDPA match..... it started to produce light primer strikes one after the other. Went to disassembly and found a little piece of brass inside the firing pin channel.....

Needles to say I did not scored well that day. And have never seen anything like that after (neither before).

#4 ·
Many striker fired pistols will have a problem with cartridges that have hard primer or primers that are not fully seated, they generally do not generate the FP energy a hammer fired gun will.

It is just part of what the gun is and users should select their ammo carefully and test it before using in a critical situation.

#5 ·
Exactly that began to hapen to me in my M9-A1, after using reloaded ammo. It has 4 grn of Z50 and bullet of 124 grn.

It is way too hot, and causes the primer to be blown to the slide with such a force (gas preasure) that the firing pin hole acts as a hole puncher. Not only that ... after some 15 or 20 shots, the head of the firing pin guide was broken by impact of the firing pin rear border when it was blown back by expanding gases.

After changing the firing pin guide for a new model, apparently more sturdy, I've been shoting the same ammo with no further fuzz except the holes in primers ... more or less in 25% of the shots.

Very weird!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.