Bad news from the vet

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by SELFDEFENSE, Jul 3, 2007.

1. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The vet just told us that we have to put down our 14-year old female collie because of liver failure.
    She was a wonderful dog.

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam SD :shock:

Tuff call, Dude. Sorry ta hear it. :(

Wulf <-- kinda digs K9's too

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Sorry for your loss.

But on the other hand 14 years is pretty darn good for any dog (especially a larger one).

We have a 13 year old Border Collie / Golden Retriever mix that just keeps on goin' ... I figure any time now we could find him curled up in a sunny spot stiff. It'll be sad when he goes though. He's been a real good dog.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

just put down a 16 year old german shorthair. also lost number of cats last few years.
    sucks losing members of the family.

any idea what happened with the liver? age? tainted food?
    tainted food from china pisses me off know some people who had to put down there animals cause of it.

5. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Man I am truly sorry, I have been there a few times.
    It always amazes me how much they fight not to show us
    how much pain they are in. They are faithful to the end.
    It is also amazing how even the man with the hardest of
    demeanors can get so attached to their pets.
    I will always miss those pets that have gone, but always love 'em
    while they are here.
    If you haven't yet read it please read "Marley and Me life with the worlds worst dog"
    It is a great book for any one who has had a dog that they have loved.
    The book is funny, heart warming, and sad but worth the read. I laughed my head
    off and I even cried.

Again I am sorry but remember the good times.
    A SALUTE to all our fine pets!

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Me too. My wife run off with my dog and I miss him already. :lol:

Just kidding. I did have to take our best friend to the kennel this afternoon as I'm heading out to Pittsburgh in the AM at Oh-Dark:30 and I missed him before he headed off down the hallway on his leash.

It would be a much better world if people were more like dogs.

The line in my signature below: "O Lord, make me the kind of man my dog thinks I am!" is something I stole from a church sign in my neighborhood. I try to live up to my best buddy's high standards ever day.

My recommendation is to do what the wife and I did when we lost our 13-year-old Chow. Go down to the shelter and pick out a mutt that smiles at you and take him home. Literal "hair off the dog that bit you" hangover cure. :mrgreen:

Here's some "Life Lessons from a Dog" http://www.robinsweb.com/inspiration/lessons-dog.html

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

my dad raises and keeps hunting dogs. he'll have 10-16 at a time.

even losing a couple every year, it never gets easier to see one go.

i still miss "stump". walker/beagle mix. we found him behind two does one day. he lost the tip of his tail somewhere. no collar, never found an owner.

in his last year hunting, he couldn't even jump from the tailgate to the ground, you'd have to help him down.

but he'd outrun every one of the younger dogs if there was a deer in front of him!! he was a great one.

8. SELFDEFENSE

Thanks all.
    Those furry little critters really get to you.
    Tomorrow is scheduled to be the day, so I slept on the floor with her last night.

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I heard someone describe heaven as the place where you arrive and all the animals you have loved come running to greet you. I hope that's true as I have several dogs I have loved that I want to see again.

I wrote about this: "Will we see our lost pets in heaven?" http://www.johnmyers.com/bible35.html

10. SELFDEFENSE

Took her to a second vet (friend of the family) on Tuesday and he gave her antbiotics, steroids, and nausea medicine that was supposed to last a day or two. He also said she is at the end becuase of liver failure (the first vet diagnosed end-stage dementia) :? , and could be put down Wednesday or Saturday if we wanted. On July 4 we were having rack of lamb and I gave her some of mine to see if she would have a last meal. She wolfed it down and that was the first thing she had eaten (and ultimately kept down) in over a week. I kept feeding her until she finished the half rack of lamb that we didn't eat. We have been feeding her lamb and she has bounced back enough that we have put the execution on hold. Don't know how long the bounce will last, but she is currently the most pampered Collie on the planet. 8)

11. SELFDEFENSE

Well, the bounce ended at the beginning of October. I was out walking with her at night and on the way back home she staggered and fell on her left side, gasped 3 or 4 times and died within a minute or two. The worst part was carrying her home and telling my daughter. But we had an extra 3 months and she died like a trooper.
    Three days later the father of my daughter's cousin came home and dropped dead in their living room at age 59.
    Geez, what a streak. I hope the old superstition of things happening in 3s isn't true.

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Losing a good dog is pretty close to losing a good friend, or maybe even a beloved family member. If only people were more like dogs, this ol' world would be a much better place.

Glad you had those extra months to say goodbye. As they saying goes, she died with her boots on, so to speak. I'm sure she would rather have gone that way, out for a walk, than lying in pain and misery in her bed, unable to walk.

I've quoted this prayer before and it's still true: O Lord, make the kind of man my dog thinks I am.