Automatic Slide release function

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by zucrew, Sep 28, 2007.

1. zucrew

zucrew Guest

Hi all,

Had this happen to me a couple of times with fully loaded 15 round magazines.

Fire till empty with slide lock open, Eject empty Mag, Insert fully loaded 15 rounder into magwell, slam upward, not ape man slam, just solid.

Slide will automatically close. It didn't happen every time, It didn't happen when my son was doing reloads, but it happened at least three times to me.

I'm not tracking magazines at this point, so I can't comment whether it's specific to any magazine.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I can live with this behavior at a range, or perhaps if I was competitively shooting, but I'm not sure that I like it happening without my direct initiative.

Regards

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Hi this has been talked about in the past.

A search should give ample info.

From what I understand this is a common occurrence with ''plastic'' pistols. Most folks seem to like it once they get use to it..

Good luck...

3. zucrew

zucrew Guest

I was too focused on my problem, I didn't think to use search prior to posting.

Thanks for the reminder.

Regards

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...just curios......

...is this your first semi-auto pistol???

...pretty much every non 'wheel-gun' I have exhibits this behavior....

...or do none of your other pistols do this?

:? :?

5. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

had this happen to me. It was really weird the first time it happened. Never had it happen to the other guns I've shot. Just surprised me... I've gotten use to it. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's alright...

6. zucrew

zucrew Guest

no, not my first auto, but it is my first plastic fantastic,
    and my first experience with auto closing

regards

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Well, I wish you the best with your first "plastic" experience.... [reminds me of an old G.F. - but thats another story... :shock: :shock: ]

It is not, however, only plastic weapons that do this... My baby eagles all do the same thing, and they are 100% no plastic.....

8) 8)

8. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Mine does the same thing once in a while. I posted this a while back. if you do
    a search you will come up with a lot of info and opinions about it. It doesn't happen
    often only when I give a good FIRM slam home on the mag...
    I am not sure I would like this in a "stressfull" situation as I don't know if it
    loads "EVERY" time it happens, I haven't had it happen enough to rely on it...

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Most of my Glocks have did it.
    The only drawback of my M9 is that it doesn't do it. Makes for slicker mag changes.

10. heavymetalmachine

I am into 1911's I have never encountered this until I looked into synthetics...

I received my first ''plastic'' gun today a M9-A1 and the very first time I loaded a full mag the slide fell to battery.

I kinda like it :shock:

11. AZRonin

AZRonin Guest

this is funny I have read reports of this but I for as far as I know mine does not have this. GOM manufacture date so whats up?

12. heavymetalmachine

You need to really send the mag home when you put it in.. Slide it in till it stops then give it a good hit.....

13. AZRonin

AZRonin Guest

so this is for a lack of a better word a "Happy mistake"

14. madecov

madecov Active Member

I think that this is more common in the Steyr than other pistols.
    I have heard of it happening in Beretta, Glock and a few others but not to the extent that it occurs in a Steyr. I actually find it neat, not something to rely on but an interesting side effect.

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

As they say over at Microsoft, "It's not a bug. It's a feature!" :mrgreen:

I've never had it happen with my M357-A1, but then I've never really slammed the mag in hard. The first time I have to do a mag change when the brown stuff is blowing through the fan, I hope to God it happens then! :twisted:

It's also never happened with any of the other semi-autos I've owned, steel or plastic, but I'm the laidback sort who hardly ever does anything in a hurry or with a whole lot of emphasis unless the situation absolutely demands it. :mrgreen:

16. zucrew

zucrew Guest

17. zucrew

zucrew Guest

I'll keep this thread alive all by myself if I have to !!! :)

So, I'm at the range, there to continue the break in of my Steyr, and send 150 rounds down range.

It doesn't auto close for me once, I wasn't slamming the mags home, so it appears it's somewhat controlled by the seating force of the magazine.

But imagine my surprise, when one of my all metal, more traditional design semi-autos does this on a routine magazine insertion.
    It's the first time it performed this trick for me, and I was unable to replicate it that day. (it was a Colt GM that's well broken in)

TTFN