AUG Z's

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by Polymer Proselyte, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

[​IMG]

A local dude is looking to import these. Has anyone had any experience with them?

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

No, But I think I want one!!!!

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

[​IMG]

I'm no expert, but it sure looks like a genuine Aug to me! Got the bottom photo off Steyr-Mannlicher.com.

Latest model listed there is the Aug A3, pictured. Never heard of Aug Z. Dare I hope I can afford it? Probably not. :(

4. Polymer Proselyte

If I hear what the price is I'll get back to you. Bare in mind this will be in NZ dollars (3rd rank in Steyr Price Olympics), so very likely to cost more than 23 goats, 6 chickens, and a pig.

The government might be a bit iffy about letting them in due to the number of ex-army Steyr mags in circulation, but this is just pure speculation on my part.

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Considered the #1 5.56mm assault rifle.
    If you can find and afford one, get it.

6. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

Hey Guy's,
    the AUG Z rifle (Z=Zivil; german for CIVILIAN) was mainly manufactured for the civlilan Home Market of STEYR MANNLICHER, Austria.
    It is the semi auto version of the AUG A2; however the Austrian Firearms Laws required some modification for the civilian market:
    - the barrel does not have a flash hider
    - the barrel is manufacured without the "cooling rings" on the surface
    - the quick release button for changing the barrel in seconds was changed; so you have to use a screwdriver to take the barrel out
    - no main parts of the original fully auto rifle will fit the AUG Z (bolt, receiver.....).
    However, all original AUG Magazines will fit (10, 20, 30 and 42 rounds). ALso the original optic from the A2 can be installed
    It is only available in black colour.

7. nixon

nixon Member

Pardon my ignorance. I can imagine that left handed people should be able to use the AUG ? In my many years of going to my fave range, i've only seen one.

Nix,

8. Polymer Proselyte

In NZ with the right licence from the Police you can own and use any semi-auto rifle. You can only own full auto guns as collectors items and these cannot be fired by law. It's just the Z falls into a more politically correct category or rifles here, which don't require as much red tape and security to own.

9. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Ejection port on both sides.
    You just need to buy a left handed bolt. :wink:

10. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

Hey,

no, the Austrian law says you're not allowed to own an AUG A1 / A2 / A3.
    You're right - the politically more correct rifle is the AUG Z :?

Also, it's much more easier for STEYR MANNLICHER to export AUG Z rifles,
    than any other AUG version; simply because in Austrian Law the Z is classified
    as an purely civilian rifle. All other AUG versions are classified as so called
    "War Material".....

11. some_finn

some_finn Guest

When I bought my A2 from the only company in Austria that has a special permit to sell them (maybe mainly for LE or something?), they had to get a special export permit from the Ministry of the Interior :roll:
    Ich kann Kriegsmaterial haben, jawohl! :D

12. NZJeeper

NZJeeper New Member

I've got a permit to import a AUG-Z, just been waiting to find a hand in but finally tracked one down at a realistic price. I know of one other AUG-Z in my local club but haven't seen it on the range and another guy said he's just recieved his AUG, but not a Z he said so we'll see what he's got at the next match.

Who was thinking of bringing them in?

The NZ Steyr agent apparently sent a flyer around dealers advertising them, so I've asked my dealer to find out a price locally. I'm also waiting to hear back from a dealer in Austria for his current pricing.

13. NZJeeper

NZJeeper New Member

Just heard back from a Wellington Based Dealer. They can supply one with 30rd mag and scope rail for NZ$4670.

14. Polymer Proselyte

Hi NZ Jeeper,

I heared it was an independent dealer but it turns out to be NZ ammo, and it will be via one of their stockists.

A bit of a shame because it whacks the price up heaps. (Hunting & Fishing - home of the $200 Steyr M9 mag!)

I imagine the same mark up will go on the long guns. Out of my league.

Good luck with your acquisition. Sounds like a fine rifle.

Polymer Proselyte - Palmerston North

15. NZJeeper

NZJeeper New Member

As long as its not capable of conversion to full auto fire and has an overall length of 762mm (less than this would be classed as a pistol) then I suppose you could and still be able to fire it. Over here in NZ you are able to own full auto weapons on a "collectors" licence but you are not able to fire them, so in theory as long as you could demonstrate to the authorities that an A2 would fit in with your "collection" you may be able to import a fully operational A2 (just not able to fire it).

Going back to the AUG-Z, I don't think there is anything preventing someone from making an A2 "clone" ie reprofilling the barrel, fitting a flash suppressor etc. They just don't look right without the flash suppressor in my opinion.

16. NZJeeper

NZJeeper New Member

Turns out my mate picked up a Oberland Arms OA-UG. Was a one off brought into NZ for Army Trials. Has a semi auto only trigger pack. Looks like a AUG A2 but with a slightly heavier barrel.

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

[​IMG]

I was wandering around online and found a pair of Augs for sale at http://www.dallasguns.com/, one for $2,800 and one for $3,500.

Both from sale seller: Todd
    Cell Ph: 214-335-6704, email link on the page.