Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions before I buy an Aug. I have been asking questions on a few different forums (not all of the websites are bullpup sites or even Aug sites) and I thought I would come here and ask a few things before I go and buy an Aug.

I am told to stick with the standard stock Aug over the NATO stock. I have a ton of AR mags that I have stocked up on over the years. Is the only advantage that I am getting with the standard stock the bolt release and being able to switch to a left hand bolt? I'm right handed so that isn't something that concerns me but might to a future buyer should I ever sell it.

If you own either the standard or NATO stock version, and you had it to do all over again, what one would you buy and why?

I am used to running my Tavor Sar and x95 like I would an AK. I take old mag out and run the charging handle. The NATO stock would keep inline what my muscle memory already has. I'm just trying to figure out why I should go standard over NATO.

Are the Aug factory mags thicker than a USGI AR-15 mag? My gear is set up for AR-15 mags and I typical run six mags plus one in rifle.

Also, where can I find some good pictures of the various colors offered? I want a black stock Aug but finding one right now in stock under 2K is proving difficult. I can find OD Green and Mud (Tan). I think OD Green has my attention more so than the Mud. I would like to find some good pics of the Aug in the wild and not a stock photo that is posed for a photo shoot.

Thanks everyone for the help and answers. If you have something more to offer than what I asked above, please feel free to post. Your knowledge of this rifle platform will help me and I am here to learn.

· Administrator
488 Posts
Welcome!
To answer some questions. The main differences are bolt release and change in trigger bar to my understanding. The gun will still lock open but you have to run the charging handle. That isn’t an issue but the aug rail will eat into your hand if you do a over hand run rather then uderhand. that or you can just swap for the corvus or manticore handles. trigger is a little worse and less consistent in my experience but not much (mole hills) due to trigger bar change. mags are the big change. aug mags arent bad especially with the Malaysian surplus and are built well. havent use the magpul or ac unity ones much at all but 15-30 bucks for a mag is normal. 20 was the cheapest official standard mag I’ve gotten the 15 are ac unity and closer to 20 for magpul. 42 rounders are nice but expensive.

mag pouch on the standard depends on the pouches. they fit thickness wise but the locking lug will eat into the pouch a bit because it's not made for it. i use double stack pouches and they are fine although my esstac ones dont like the stabdard mags, but my assault warrior mag pouches are fine with them.

If I had to do it again I would stay with standard because mags are good and not bad on price plus I use the bolt release. Resale value I’m not sure which will win but prior to crazy seemed like the nato were a bit cheaper by maybe 100.

pics online are hard of the green. Seems to look black and the tan seems to look more green. Below is my fde scar, mud aug and ODG ic-spr. The mud is pretty much the standard color you see everywhere.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and information. Also great rifles. It is very hard to tell what OD Green looks like and it does look black in pics. I like the tan (mud) color Aug's but not sure I would like it over time. I had an OD Green Glock G19 (looked FDE) and after a few years of owning it I had to sell it. I just got tired of it. I tend to lean towards black. I do like the FDE and OD Green Tavor and x95 oddly enough.

Does the mude color look dirty after a while? Is it hard to keep that color clean? I'm not sure why I worry about that. I don't baby my rifles and I don't collect them anymore either.

· Administrator
488 Posts
Thanks for the reply and information. Also great rifles. It is very hard to tell what OD Green looks like and it does look black in pics. I like the tan (mud) color Aug's but not sure I would like it over time. I had an OD Green Glock G19 (looked FDE) and after a few years of owning it I had to sell it. I just got tired of it. I tend to lean towards black. I do like the FDE and OD Green Tavor and x95 oddly enough.

Does the mude color look dirty after a while? Is it hard to keep that color clean? I'm not sure why I worry about that. I don't baby my rifles and I don't collect them anymore either.
Mud so far hasn’t. That rifle will get some lube but I don’t really clean it. Lots of Arizona dust and some northern Arizona mud but so far looks good, but I’m a fan of fde in general. I do like the black on the aug but the mud swayed me for some reason. Haven’t had much time with the ODG besides them just being a general dark green that like my pic above looks close to black in photos but in real life looks good.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mud so far hasn’t. That rifle will get some lube but I don’t really clean it. Lots of Arizona dust and some northern Arizona mud but so far looks good, but I’m a fan of fde in general. I do like the black on the aug but the mud swayed me for some reason. Haven’t had much time with the ODG besides them just being a general dark green that like my pic above looks close to black in photos but in real life looks good.
The IWI rifles I love all the colors they make them in. I guess I'm so used to seeing OD and black Aug's that FDE (mud) is taking me some getting used to. I was just wondering if the body and the grip get stained up or stay looking good. Its a tool. I shouldn't worry about that but I think my OCD kicks in lol. Once this weekend is over and if I haven't won one I may go and buy one from an online FFL. I found OD but taxes and shipping took it back up to the 2K mark. I may have to sell a few more things before I can just go all in. I shouldn't have waited this long.

· Administrator
488 Posts
The IWI rifles I love all the colors they make them in. I guess I'm so used to seeing OD and black Aug's that FDE (mud) is taking me some getting used to. I was just wondering if the body and the grip get stained up or stay looking good. Its a tool. I shouldn't worry about that but I think my OCD kicks in lol. Once this weekend is over and if I haven't won one I may go and buy one from an online FFL. I found OD but taxes and shipping took it back up to the 2K mark. I may have to sell a few more things before I can just go all in. I shouldn't have waited this long.
I haven’t really had much wear on it beyound where the shells hit. Grip looks good although I am thinking about adding some tape to it. They are good rifles but if you keep an eye out you might be able to get one still for 1700 or so. A few months back when kvar got some in they were I think 1750. Before the crazy I saw some into the 1600. Right now we seem to be between shipments so I don’t see any deals out there and the used market seems to be selling guns like there is some gold hidden in them somewhere. Not that I can complain I sold some guns for about 100 more then I bought them but still less then they go for new now.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven’t really had much wear on it beyound where the shells hit. Grip looks good although I am thinking about adding some tape to it. They are good rifles but if you keep an eye out you might be able to get one still for 1700 or so. A few months back when kvar got some in they were I think 1750. Before the crazy I saw some into the 1600. Right now we seem to be between shipments so I don’t see any deals out there and the used market seems to be selling guns like there is some gold hidden in them somewhere. Not that I can complain I sold some guns for about 100 more then I bought them but still less then they go for new now.
Yeah I am looking daily online and on Gunbroker. I watched one sell last week for $1600. I didn't have the cash and I wish I had because I would have been a bidder but someone got a nice rifle. I'm watching one right now that I have a feeling will take off in the next couple of hours. It ends in eight hours and its sitting at $1200 and some change. Its a NATO stock. Its what I thought about going with when I first started looking. I think I want the standard stock. Everyone that I have talked to tells me to go with the standard stock. I have only had three people recommend the NATO stock. The only reason I would go with the NATO version is because of my stock pile of AR mags.

The used market is kind of crazy right now. I have sold a few kit built AR's over the last year and they didn't last long once I put them up for sale. I also never took them to the range to shoot them. Our ranges have closed her and none of them are going to open back up. I will have to travel an hour and a half away to shoot now on family land. Its been a crazy year and it will only get crazier.

· Administrator
488 Posts
Yeah I am looking daily online and on Gunbroker. I watched one sell last week for $1600. I didn't have the cash and I wish I had because I would have been a bidder but someone got a nice rifle. I'm watching one right now that I have a feeling will take off in the next couple of hours. It ends in eight hours and its sitting at $1200 and some change. Its a NATO stock. Its what I thought about going with when I first started looking. I think I want the standard stock. Everyone that I have talked to tells me to go with the standard stock. I have only had three people recommend the NATO stock. The only reason I would go with the NATO version is because of my stock pile of AR mags.

The used market is kind of crazy right now. I have sold a few kit built AR's over the last year and they didn't last long once I put them up for sale. I also never took them to the range to shoot them. Our ranges have closed her and none of them are going to open back up. I will have to travel an hour and a half away to shoot now on family land. Its been a crazy year and it will only get crazier.
If it’s all the same I like standard, but if it’s beneficial to go nato it isn’t an issue. The trigger difference is minor and I would recommend aftermarket parts anyway. The bolt release is nice if you utilize it but if not no reason and with plenty of ar mags it makes sense to stay there. I’m not sure how many mags I have but we use to buy them in bulk so it was a minor decision to me especially When the Malaysian surplus came in, but wouldn’t mind a nato as well. That said there is a real benefit to stick with ar mags if you don’t have the pouches or your kit has to be changed. Even excluding the price of the mags I hate changing gear. I have one setup for my intermediates and another for 308, besides those it’s just random chest carriers. That to me would make a big part of my decision making.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it’s all the same I like standard, but if it’s beneficial to go nato it isn’t an issue. The trigger difference is minor and I would recommend aftermarket parts anyway. The bolt release is nice if you utilize it but if not no reason and with plenty of ar mags it makes sense to stay there. I’m not sure how many mags I have but we use to buy them in bulk so it was a minor decision to me especially When the Malaysian surplus came in, but wouldn’t mind a nato as well. That said there is a real benefit to stick with ar mags if you don’t have the pouches or your kit has to be changed. Even excluding the price of the mags I hate changing gear. I have one setup for my intermediates and another for 308, besides those it’s just random chest carriers. That to me would make a big part of my decision making.
My gear, chest rigs and plate carrier, are all set up for an AR-15. Its one of the reasons I got rid of my AK, That and having to buy two different things of ammo. I wanted to concentrate on one caliber so the AK went. I also got tired of hand fitting mags to the AK. I have almost 50 AR-15 mags. I don't use the bolt release on my other bullpups my muscle is me grabbing the charging handle. That stems from running an AK for years. The AR I somewhat do the same. Its rare that I hit the bolt release.

So the Aug mags are thicker than AR mags? And two of them wont fit into an AR-15 double mag pouch? This is the first time anyone has been that frank with me on this part of my buying an Aug. I have asked the question a few times but never really got an answer. I was just told go standard. Its better. But cost wise mags will add up over time and if I have to get different pouches (probably AK pouches) that adds up too. I would have to do a dedicated setup for just the Aug.Thank you for adding that being that open about it. It gives me more food for thought.

· Administrator
488 Posts
My gear, chest rigs and plate carrier, are all set up for an AR-15. Its one of the reasons I got rid of my AK, That and having to buy two different things of ammo. I wanted to concentrate on one caliber so the AK went. I also got tired of hand fitting mags to the AK. I have almost 50 AR-15 mags. I don't use the bolt release on my other bullpups my muscle is me grabbing the charging handle. That stems from running an AK for years. The AR I somewhat do the same. Its rare that I hit the bolt release.

So the Aug mags are thicker than AR mags? And two of them wont fit into an AR-15 double mag pouch? This is the first time anyone has been that frank with me on this part of my buying an Aug. I have asked the question a few times but never really got an answer. I was just told go standard. Its better. But cost wise mags will add up over time and if I have to get different pouches (probably AK pouches) that adds up too. I would have to do a dedicated setup for just the Aug.Thank you for adding that being that open about it. It gives me more food for thought.
My experience is it depends on the pouch but in general no they don’t fit well due to locking lug more then anything, but they are also a bit thicker. On my Esstac pouches they don’t fit and will get stuck. This seems to be both lug and thickness issue since Esstac is using pressure to keep them in place on both the fabric and black plastic. On my assault warrior system it depends. On the single pouch in the pic it works fine. On my other rig i have a double pouch I use them as a single and it works without issue. When doing double one will get stuck at the point in the pic due to locking lug being pushed into the side which seems to be a thickness causing the lug to have greater pressure into the side since single wise it works. This is just aug standard mags. Haven’t used the ac or magpul aug mags much. I have heard usgi tacos and blue force work well but haven’t tried them much since I tend to use assault warrior system gear and it works in the single pouches.

So pic below. Plate carrier with one mag works, plate carrier with two mags fits in but stuck on way out if using two magsPlate carrier with two mags where it gets stuck if use two mags. Belt with one mag works. Those are all ar15 pouches. You can buy aug pouches.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My experience is it depends on the pouch but in general no they don’t fit well due to locking lug more then anything, but they are also a bit thicker. On my Esstac pouches they don’t fit and will get stuck. This seems to be both lug and thickness issue since Esstac is using pressure to keep them in place on both the fabric and black plastic. On my assault warrior system it depends. On the single pouch in the pic it works fine. On my other rig i have a double pouch I use them as a single and it works without issue. When doing double one will get stuck at the point in the pic due to locking lug being pushed into the side which seems to be a thickness causing the lug to have greater pressure into the side since single wise it works. This is just aug standard mags. Haven’t used the ac or magpul aug mags much. I have heard usgi tacos and blue force work well but haven’t tried them much since I tend to use assault warrior system gear and it works in the single pouches.

So pic below. Plate carrier with one mag works, plate carrier with two mags fits in but stuck on way out if using two magsPlate carrier with two mags where it gets stuck if use two mags. Belt with one mag works. Those are all ar15 pouches. You can buy aug pouches.
View attachment 4461 View attachment 4462 View attachment 4463 View attachment 4464 View attachment 4465
Thanks for the pics and doing that. I just got some Aug mags in from a trade that I did. One of them is a 42 round mag and the other a 30 round mag. They get stuck in my Condor pouches. I have some old USGI pouches that are ACU (I dyed them OD Green. Perfect formula for it too). I may see how they fit in those and see about doing something there. Or I may just do the NATO stock and be done with it.

Someone posted that the NATO stock is thicker in the rear of the rifle. Do you know if that is true? I think its starting to look like I should go NATO. The only reason that I wouldn't is because of the bolt release (that I never use on any of my rifles. Its something I need to train for). I think the signs are starting to point to me doing just that. If I don't, 42 round mags three of them is a lot of firepower lol.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome man, sounds like a good choice and hey it’s a aug, no matter what you will be happy. Although if you want some recommendations I would suggest looking into the ratworks 2020 sear and Corvus charging handle.
Yeah I am excited. After doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions I think I made the right choice by going with the NATO stock. I just have way to much gear and mags to try and start over. I appreciate all the help you gave me. I can't wait to have it in hand and get to the range.

· Registered
35 Posts
When I bought my Aug last year I ordered it through my local gun dealer. I wanted a OD with the standard Mag. Augs are very rare in this area and with all the guns and ammo sells everything was backed up. The Steyr rep told me I could be waiting for up to a year for the rifle. A month later my gun dealer called me and said 5 Augs came in and I had first picks of any color but white. The NATO stock had a premium over the standard at about $250 but the dealer sold all of them for $1895 and $595 for the 3x Aug optic. I chose the OD nato with a 3x optic and love everything about the rifle. The more you shoot it, the more you will love it. I also love the trigger and will not change anything on it. My trigger has no take up except for the pad of your finger compressing before it breaks like glass at 7.5 lbs. when it resets it’s at the same location you started at. Now with my dealer getting an average of 4 Augs a month, the nato stocks sell first and the standards sit for a little longer. For which ever one you buy, break it in and you will be very pleased.

· Registered
1 Posts
When I bought my Aug last year I ordered it through my local gun dealer. I wanted a OD with the standard Mag. Augs are very rare in this area and with all the guns and ammo sells everything was backed up. The Steyr rep told me I could be waiting for up to a year for the rifle. A month later my gun dealer called me and said 5 Augs came in and I had first picks of any color but white. The NATO stock had a premium over the standard at about $250 but the dealer sold all of them for $1895 and $595 for the 3x Aug optic. I chose the OD nato with a 3x optic and love everything about the rifle. The more you shoot it, the more you will love it. I also love the trigger and will not change anything on it. My trigger has no take up except for the pad of your finger compressing before it breaks like glass at 7.5 lbs. when it resets it’s at the same location you started at. Now with my dealer getting an average of 4 Augs a month, the nato stocks sell first and the standards sit for a little longer. For which ever one you buy, break it in and you will be very pleased.
I'm having a hard time locating one. Can you advise who is your dealer?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.