Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first tactical shooting class last week and other than my Steyr USR everyone had ARs. About 5 out of 10 of them had some kind of jam/double feed. (I was kind of enjoying it) Not to brag, but the Steyr was flawless. I was told that most AR failures are magazine related. OK fine, so my question is how long are AUG mags lasting before needing replacement? Is there a weakness to beware of ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Steyr AUG magazines are the finest in the world IMHO. Unlike the AR magazines which only has one point of attachment to the lower receiver, the AUG magazines have 2 points of attachment. Just this alone makes them a 1000% more reliable. Also, the AR magazines were initially designed to be "disposable" and thus made of aluminum. Or, more probably, they were made of aluminum to prevent electrolysis with the aluminum lower receiver. If they were made of steel, the aluminum receiver would pit due to it giving up electrons to the steel. And, thus, it was rationalized to be "disposable". As we all know, no one treats them as disposable. Being of a relatively soft metal, the aluminum magazines warp and deform with use and abuse which results in FTF and a host of other problems. The weakest link of any magazine fed firearm is the magazine itself. BTW, Mako makes excellent Steel magazines; but, they have been coated with a very tough finish (I appears to me to be a type of baked on enamel)which prevents electrolysis. They are better magazines than the US GI ones but they still attach to the lower receiver in the same way.

The AUG mags also have been tested extensively against chemicals, drops tests, being run over by deuce and half, against extreme exposure and temperatures, etc.. They are much more durable and reliable than any other magazine system on the market. I would bet my lunch money that an AUG will be more reliable than any AR you care to pit against it. And if you are trying to decide between the AUG NATO vs the original Steyr stock, it is a no brainer! Get the original AUG stock. Stock up on all of the AUG mags you can get a hold of; they will serve you well and are better than gold should you need to depend on them with your life or that of your family. I have AUG magazines that are over 20 yrs old and they still function flawlessly. I also have aluminum AR magazines which are less than 1/2 that old which are now toast. I have tried rebuilding them with new followers and springs and they still are not 100% reliable this is most likely due to the [soft aluminum] feed lips "relaxing" or getting warped over time.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
But, but, but, the AR not 100% reliable, say it isn't so!!! /sarc

I went with a 7.62x39 CZ vz58 after reading "Green Eyes, Black Rifles" by Kyle Lamb. When you have an entire chapter on clearing MALFs, just maybe it isn't the stone ax that I need. I knew I wanted a gas piston system, short stroke, so it was either a Steyr AUG, or SIG-Sauer in .223, or the vz58 in 7.62x39. Given the price difference at the time, it was a no brainer, the Czech quality was another bonus. The mags are really reliable and you can reload with stripper clips as well, topping off works very easlily with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Steyr AUG magazines are the probably the best designed magazines available. They load smooth, run long, and 42 rounders are just as reliable as 30 rounders.

They rarely fail after long use. You can instantly check for micro cracks in the feed lips if you look closely they are easy to spot. Even if your mags have them they will continue to last for quite a bit longer. I tag them for practice play mags at that point. It's that simple and that easy.

They may be more expensive than AR mags but you get more value out of them........more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never had any probs with issued mags period. They are robust and really proved themselves when I was deployed. There is actually a go/no go gauge which fits into the mag between the 'lips'.

They go thru heaps of abuse in training in the dusty outback and tropical training areas of Australia, yet alone in theatres of operation like the 'Ghan or Iraq.

I've seen few broken mags over the years, and that's about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts