AUG A3 production to resume in 2012

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by Prodiver13, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Prodiver13

Prodiver13 New Member

Just wanted to post an FYI for those of you (like me) who missed the Sabre Defence Industries version of the AUG A3, and who also don’t want to pay $3,500 for a “collectors weapon” on Gunbroker that was probably purchased for under $1,500. The point is that recently I have been in contact with a Steyr rep who informed me that Steyr will be manufacturing AUG’s in the US again, starting in 2012. The rep stated that the AUG A3 will be available sometime in Q1-Q2 of 2012, when the new manufacturer is determined. I imagine that Steyr will follow the same recipe as they did with Sabre Defence Industries and have a US company manufacture the receiver (essentially the weapon, as per the ATF guidelines) and have everything else that makes up the AUG brought in and complete the final assembly here.
    There weren’t any other specific details offered by the rep. So, who they are looking at to produce what, and when the production cycle starts is vague, (January to June). If I get any more details, I will post what I find out.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. AugMePlease

AugMePlease New Member

Real excited about this. Thought I missed the boat myself!

3. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Ah, there's still hope. All they need now is a slightly more stable (or slightly less creative?) partner. I'm not a bullpupper by inclination but a 'real' AUG would be nice.

4. jpark55

jpark55 New Member

I was not a AUG fan at 1st. But after shooting my friends A3 I have come to love the AUG and it's mag. I think the AUG mag design is a lot better than that of the AR15. I wish Steyr would make an AUG in 6.8SPC with the same mag design. I just don't care for the 5.56mm.

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Maybe they'll make it in 6.5 Grendel, now that the copyright issues are resolved. I would sooo buy one!

6. TallFace

TallFace New Member

Was excited after reading this post and went searching for more info...

found this: http://www.shootingreviews.com/steyr-aug-a3/

Article states the AUG A3 should be available in June for around $2200, with a comprehensive one year warranty :)

7. Prodiver13

Prodiver13 New Member

Not that this thread needs any more bolstering, but I was in contact with the Steyr rep again recently, regarding AUG A3 production resuming this year. The rep said to me that, “if things keep progressing as they have been, then production and sale in the US will resume soon.” I did press the rep a little for an estimation of when we might see A3’s make it to retailers, but he was careful not to identify any specific quarter. So, my guess is that Steyr is probably still looking at a return to distribution date somewhere in Q2, which parallels the information posted about the A3 on the Shooting Reviews websites coverage of SHOT 2012.
    The rep also said to pay attention the news section of the Steyr Mannlicher homepage. He said that the company may post new info about the A3 there first.

http://www.steyrarms.com/news/

If I get anything in the meantime, I will post what I find out.

8. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

I have solid info from a VERY reliable source that these should be available around the beginning of July '12.

-D

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. engiNERD

engiNERD New Member

Did your reliable source happen to mention anything about a California version?

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Rumor has it they are working on a California AUG A3, but it has been delayed while they ramp up production to try to get the regular rifle ready for Summer launch. If it does happen, it will probably be released sometime around the end of the year.

11. Aids10

Aids10 New Member

Good News! :drool:

Why aren't they 100% Austrian made?

12. miniMacGuru

miniMacGuru New Member

I believe they have to worry about Section 922(r) compliance, since an AUG is not a "sporting rifle", therefore, it cannot contain more than 10 foreign made parts.

13. r10tm4k3r

r10tm4k3r New Member

Just got off the phone with a gentleman at SAI and he said that the new Steyr AUG A3 would be shipping in August for $2099 MSRP. They will be coming with 1 magazine. I can't wait!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

14. engiNERD

engiNERD New Member

Shipping to where? Did the word California ever come up in your conversation?

15. r10tm4k3r

r10tm4k3r New Member

No, California didn't come up. I was concerned with Tennessee. He was very forthcoming with information, so I'm sure if you called SAI they would let you know where they stand with a CA version.

16. Housertl

Housertl Active Member

Rat Worx USA is now accepting pre orders... $1999 shipped.

http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagHome.aspx

Anticipated delivery date is the 3rd week of Aug (how clever of them...Aug A3 delivered in Aug W3).

17. Aids10

Aids10 New Member

Which is the better made receiver Sabre Defense or Vltor?

I though the barrels were made by Steyr? :wall:

18. miniMacGuru

miniMacGuru New Member

From what I've read on other forums, the Sabre and Vltor receivers are the same batch of castings, just different companies doing the final machining.

I think the original barrels were made in Austria, while the new ones are made in the USA, by FN. I'm guessing it 's to get more USA made parts in the AUG for 922(r) compliance, but that's just my opinion.

19. deadduck357

deadduck357 New Member

20. r10tm4k3r

r10tm4k3r New Member

I spoke with Pete at PJs Steyr, and he has already shipped some of the new A3 guns. They are out and if you have preordered, your wait should not be too much longer.