Aug A1 misfires

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by Microversatrip, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Microversatrip

Microversatrip New Member

Vintage '87 Aug A1, as new, that misfires every 3-4 rds due to light primer strikes. Tried multiple types of high quality ammo. Web search yields nothing? Anyone experienced this? Clint

2. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

Hi Clint,
    1 welcome to Steyr forum.
    2 when missfired, did you check where the strike mark on the ejected round? If so, I assume it is in or near center of the primer?
    3 if it is on the primer and light strike, it is time to replace the hammer springs. They are pain to place back in. Twist tie helps a little.
    Good luck

3. Microversatrip

Microversatrip New Member

Ok
    ok, but seems odd that hammer springs are bad as rifle appears as new w/ few, if any, rds fired..??

4. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

As you mentioned, it is an 87 aug. several possibilities. 1 it is storered improperly w hammer cocked all these 30 years. The spring will be weaker. 2 even store properly w hammer uncocked, it is still under tension all these year. My suggestion is replace the hammer springs. Clean up the firing pin and firing pin channel w brake cleaner. Light oil or no lube.

jnaq91 likes this.
  5. CAR

CAR New Member

I agree with silentheart, strip the rifle down, clean off the old grease and oil and re-lube. If the rifle still has the original lube on it, it may be all gummy by now.

jnaq91 and silentheart like this.