Steyr Club Forums banner

ATTENTION: New Steyr owners - DON'T USE Q-TIPs in the STRIKER CHANNEL!

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MrApathy 
#1 ·
Use only non-linting materials to clean the striker or firing pin channel in actually any weapon. Lint can cause light strikes by itself, and with dirt, it can really muck things up.

Coffee filters or Chem-X filters are non-woven materials which will clean well and not leave fibers behind. Cut the filters into strips and you can use them in cleaning rod patch holders, or on the end of plastic straws to clean channels, rails and the other spots you need a good cleaning matrix to reach.

I recommend that you use mineral spirits to clean, it won't hurt polymer, at least over reasonable time periods. I left my Steyr pistol lower in for 24 hours without a noticable change in color, flexibility, or stiffness. Twenty minutes is plenty of time to competely loosen powder residue.

For those of you interested, I use Ed's Red for my rifles and shotgun. The recipe can be found on www.frfrogspad.com. I use the version with mineral spirits, ATF, kerosene, and acetone. Use it only on metals. A blend of 50/50 ATF and kerosene makes an excellent lube for those who like wet lubes.

#2 ·
Great advice.

One thing, ATF eats plastic slowly, so don't use it without mixing it with anything or too much.

I notice, we usually put a very small droplet of oil only a lot less compare to lubing cars or garden equipments.

#3 ·
Hi Guys :)

Uhhh...OK, I get your concern, no worries. <shrug>

Of course, I've never had any problems usin' q-tips in the last 45 yrs, but I am always aware of the "cotton fibers problem", if left behind. I just make sure I don't have any left behind. <shrug>

And no solvents should ever be left on/in your firearms, I agree to that, as well. That's one of the reasons I leave a fine film of CLP after cleanin' the solvents back off/out.

On the other hand, I'm not opposed to a "better mousetrap". :thumbsup:

Thanx for this info, ETH* :)

It seems a prudent way not to worry about cotton fibers in your various firearm channels or leaving any solvent on/in your firearms.

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- no pissin' matches here! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Y'all are correct, ATF does eat plastic, that's why I pointed out that you only use Ed's Red on metal, acetone isn't really very good for polymers either. Mineral spirits, on the otherhand, appear to be very safe when used on the reinforced Zytel and zytel-like polymers used for the handgrips of pistols.

Note that ER is used by some of the benchrest shooting gang who tend to be, shall we say, OBSESSIVE ABOUT THEIR FIREARMS, not that I've noticed that at the range or anything. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

#5 ·
And I would like to add all these solvents ARE NOT good for the human body!!! Forget plastics and polymers, if you decide to use these solvents or cocktail of solvents, wear gloves, use in ventilated area. I, like Wulf have been using qtips for decades, if u are going to use them, be aware of fibers that can be left behind.

#8 ·
So how much popcorn do you consume in a day in the timeout corner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.