Armed customer thwarts grocery robbery

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Netfotoj, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Here's another "armed citizen to the rescue" story. But this guy really ought to think seriously about carrying one in the pipe. What if the robber shot first? "Ruh roh!" as Scooby Doo would say. In this case, the dumb crook had an unloaded .380, but if it had been loaded, this story probably would not have ended well.

Armed customer thwarts grocery robbery
    He should have also been charged with felony stupid, sticking up a store with an empty .380. :twisted:

P.S. Extra points for old geezers like moi on the Scooby Doo reference above: What TV show was Scooby Doo patterened after with each of its main characters?

If you answered The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis you get ... nothing but a reminder how old you are. :mrgreen:

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:naughty:

He better be glad that .380 was unloaded... :shock:

And I don't mean to offend anyone, but is it just me or does it seem like a lot of the older CCWers are the ones carrying pistols without a round in the chamber? Most of the older folks I meet subscribe to this method of carry, but I can't think of a single person in or around my age group that does not carry a pistol that is ready to go...

Whatever works for ya, I suppose...

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I told the story to my son today and he said, "What's the purpose of carrying if you don't have it loaded and ready to go?" Exactly.

If I've got a gun with me, pocket pistol, in holster or laying on my car seat, it's condition one. When the SHTF, there most likely will not be time to rack the slide. Delay could be fatal.

4. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Most of the older CCWers I know carry a gun that is ready to go BANG when they pull the trigger. Not a whole lot of sense doing otherwise. ‘Course, I’m in a military town with “old guys” all around who have actually been shot at, and have shot at folks in return. In my age range, over 50 (I’m 66), more than 65% of the guys have served in the military. Below the age of 40, less than 15% have served. Which group do you think is more likely to be serious minded about such things?

I’ve got an Arisaka battle rifle that I bought from a bent over, shuffling step, fiery-eyed old Marine. When I asked the geezer whether a story went with the gun, he nailed me with his eyes, and said “I didn’t like the sunnabitch that was pointing it at me.” It is in my safe right now, waiting to be passed on to one of my sons. If the shooting starts, who would you rather have covering your back: old Mr. Eagle Eye, or your friendly neighborhood Mall Ninja?

Doc

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'll take Old Eagle Eye anytime, Doc. Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. :mrgreen:
    P.S. And this old geezer always carries Condition One. Is there any other way to stay alive?