Are range reloads a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by ChillyWilly, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Are range reloads a bad idea? What are the ins and outs with these factory reloads? My local range supposedly has really good reloads (they get a lot and I mean a lot of cops in there, so I'd imagine they better be good). Anyways please educate me.

Thanks

Jerry

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

There is nothing unsafe about a reloaded round that was properly loaded - it all boils down to how much you trust the person who whipped it up. 8)

3. nixon

nixon Member

I second the motion, Syn. Ask questions from those you know who have tried it.
    Nix,

4. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Third the motion.
    Ask around a lot and see if the loader has any history of squibs or KBs (Ka-BOOM, catastrophic failure, usually destroys the gun).

5. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

What if the reload is from a range?

6. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Same difference.
    Whether it's sold at the range, a gun store or gun show, someone had to reload it on some kind of equipment.

The reputation of that reloader is all that matters.

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

is the loader insured? are they incorporated?

many things to look into.

personally only reloads I use are ones I make myself

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I buy "remanufactured" ammo for my G29 because 10mm ammo is so f***ing expensive, which if I understand the term properly means reloaded ammo done with used brass at a factory. Never had a problem with it in the G29.

Wish I could find some remanufactured 357 Sig ammo. The 10mm brand I've used is Ultramax of Rapid City, SD.

9. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

I have shot maybe 3,000 re-manufactured rounds through my M9 and S9 without a single squib and only one FTE in my S9 when I was doing a "get it really dirty" torture test. I also have fired several thousand rounds of re-mfg .45 ACP through my Colt Series 70 1911 and my Sig 220 without a single problem. I have fired a few less than a thousand rounds of .380 through my Walther PPK without a problem. Am I sold on re-mfg ammo. You betcha.

Of course, it is like everyone says: be sure of the seller. For those of you in WA State, I buy HSM from James at the Puyallup gun show. At today's inflated prices, re-mfg stuff is still a bargain. On the other hand, I just paid $361 for a thousand rounds of Armscorp 5.56, and that was the best price on quality 5.56. Gulp. That'll teach me to shoot up my Lake City 5.56 playing around.

Doc

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hiya, Doc.

I buy the HSM from them as well.....

Which is better 5.56? The Armscorp, or the Lake City?

Why?

Thank You

11. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Babj--

I am not an ammo expert, so I will defer to the experts on this. I asked two friends who are police armorers and training officers the same question: what makes Lake City Arsenal 5.56 the better choice? Their answers: LCA ammo is manufactured for the military, and is held to a higher standard for primers and powder. The brass is original, never fired, the round is sealed, and is designated as NATO standard.

Armscorp is manufactured in the Philippines, and although it is "high quality." it is not at the same level as LCA. When I told James that I had shot up most of my Lake City ammo and needed more, he told me it was all gone, and the next best 5.56 ammo he had was the Armscorp stuff. So I bought 1,000 rounds for $361. After pricing 7.62X39 ammo ($160/1,000), I am thinking of getting an AK/AK clone to supplement my SKS for fun shooting.

Doc

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Ohhh goooody!!!!!

I have the Lake City stuff from them......

I did just pick up another 1000 rds of 7.62x39 for my AK this last weekend....

Once upon a time, I despised the AK's, mostly due to them always being associated with Islamic Terrorists etc...

But having one for awhile now, and seeing all the "good" in the design.... well, I am gonna get me at least two more of these.....

13. NicoX

NicoX New Member

I`m shooting a lot this last three months..
    I use reload ammo.. In my country is very expensive the ammunitions..
    I tried a lot of reloads.. and is a good experience so as to know what u like more, if more grains and all that.
    for me is impossible to practice shooting using new ammunition.

50 rounds of 9mm -- u$s 25 to 32 NEW
    50 rounds of 9mm -- u$S 12 to 14 GOOD RELOADS..

14. nixon

nixon Member

babj,

Lake City 5.56 is the "Holy Grail" of surplus ammo. Have been coveted by AR fans and are now very expensive. I still got some I bought before the crazy price increase. I use HSM too, Serbian PRVI Patizan, etc.

Nixon,

15. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I have been reloading for over 30 years. I would never shoot anyone's reloads except mine.