Are M9-1As +P rated?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Angel, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel Guest

Is it safe to use +P and +P+ rated 9mm rounds in the new M1As?

Thanks

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

shoot away................................ 8) woo, that was a glitch in the software..........an echo....... :lol: you will see small markings on your Steyr designating the proofs from the austrian manufacturer........I might be wrong, but I believe those markings are explained in the manual......... :?

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

+p yes. be carefull with +p+ it could be anything no standards for +p+

according to saami
    standard 9mm p ammo 1.169 " Max Cartridge Overall Length max pressure 35,000psi
    9mm +p 1.169" Max and 38,500psi max pressure

+p+ no standard it could be 38,501 or up in 40,000+psi or into rifle pressure range.
    some +p+ ammo was made for subguns in arctic weather.
    your steyr may handle it but it will accelerate wear.

4. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

any 'service' pistol in 9mm is going to be '+P'. NATO 9mm (read 'military' and who designs a service pistol without military contracts in mind?) as well as commercial european 9x19 ammo is going to be loaded to or very close to SAAMI +P pressures. NATO and european (C.I.P.) 9mm standard pressures are the eqivalent of SAAMI +P. american standard '9mm' is lower pressure.

your steyr was designed around and tested with '+P' equivalent ammo.

others are right about +P+, though, you have no idea as to what you're getting as there is no recognized/tested rating as +P+.

hotter ammo will of course wear out your pistol faster than mild loads, but that doesn't mean it wasn't designed to fire it.

frye