Are funeral protests legal?

Discussion in 'The Soap Box' started by GROUPER TROOPER 32, Apr 13, 2010.

1. GROUPER TROOPER 32

GROUPER TROOPER 32 New Member

Rick there is no criminal court case because it such a touchy subject no chief of police or sheriff would act on it out of fear of negative publicity. You can read by the posts how divided we are on the subject of it being a crime or freedom of expression. I could only imagine 12 people who aren't as close in thinking as we are here.

2. brett762

brett762 New Member

I will refrain from commenting on the legality of funeral protest only because the law in terms of 'time and place" regulations taken in tandem with 1st amendment jurisprudence is utterly confusing. However, I will say that most of you are completely lucky that you don't have to live in the same town as the Westboro nut farm. For example, around the holidays, these folks have signs proclaiming that Santa Clause is a fag with characters depicting homosexual acts. They slum about the law school with signs reading "fag law school". Now for the sick part. There are legions of Topekans that would love to ground and pound these folks, but when they act out locally, they have their children do the sign wielding. Further, they are a family of attorneys. Are they untouchable? No, but it would take an awfully long stick.

3. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i'm sorry you and your community have to put up with the looneys!!! do these people not understand what an image like that would do to a 10 year old ? "mommy...what is rudolf doing with santa?" THAT'S JUST SICK. even worse to involve their own children ? truely evil people.

who has an axe to grind with santa? i mean REALLY....

4. Specter

Specter New Member

a thought came to mind as i re-read this thread, a very horrible thought that could get someone in a lot of trouble, but i will share it nonetheless; i wondered to myself what the WBC members faces would look like if they saw, what would be considered a mass grave, open at every cemetery in the country with a big head stone that said WBC (a very deep chill ran through my spine after this passed through my mind and honestly could not believe something like that actually passed through my mind). As much as these people disgust me, more and more every time they spring up in the news, it would not be just to take them from this world out right; a more fitting punishment should follow their actions.

would it be possible, with minimal loss to constitutional rights, to bring about laws or bills(etc.) that would prevent people from protesting in a cemetery while there is a funeral in progress?

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

As much as I detest the funeral protesters. I don't think we need any additional laws. In most areas the cemeteries are private property. It shouldn't be a problem for the owners to stop the protests by requesting enforcement of no trespassing laws.

Public property is another thing, and shows why government ownership is problematic. I'm basically in favor of privatizing the large military cemeteries. Then we can stop the garbage, and do so constitutionally, not by resorting to the use of government force, which is the favorite trick of the statists.

6. brett762

brett762 New Member

I'm glad this topic has found an audience with which I can share my thoughts. Listen, I find the conduct of WBC to be the most shameful form of 1st amendment exploitation, but at the end of the day, no matter how distasteful I find there behavior, I'd rather live with this patently un-american activity than begin abridging constitutional guarantees. There will come a day when WBC is but a humiliating (and hopefully forgotten) footnote in American history. There will come a day when our fallen servicemen and servicewomen will come home to only the grateful, and the mourning. I for one will oppose permanent changes to the Constitution to remedy a temporary grievance with an insignificant group of ignorant cowards. I will always hold steadfast to our forefathers belief that our Constitution serve as the law of our land, and I will not favor one portion of that document when it serves my interest, nor will I seek to circumvent another portion when I find its application repugnant to my sense of what is right and just.