Are conversion kits illegal in CALI ?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by nixon, Sep 13, 2007.

1. nixon

nixon Member

All,
    CDNN doesnt want to sell M9 conversion kits. Far as I know it's ok to get an upper assemby as long as assemblies does not include the receiver, then its not considered a gun. Please, someone enlighten CDNN on this.

nix,

2. nixon

nixon Member

I will answer my onw question. No it's not illegal a converion kit kit isn ont considered a fire-arm according to one of the dealers i called.
    But the issue with CDNN is that they dont want to alter the packaging of the conversion kit that contains a 15 rounder mag and replace it with a 10 rounder for the benefit of us here in Kali. thanks a lot for that.

Nix

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I Think You, and a few million others, need to move to another state.....

One in free Amerika.....

:wink: :wink:

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Could you perhaps broker a deal with a club member? A "I'll order the kit to you, you keep the mags and forward the slide to me" type of thing...? Just so long as it's legal....

5. alex

alex Guest

No, I didn't have such luck. Yesterday I received my 9mm conversion kit from CDNN. To my surprise there was no magazine included. The invoice said "magazine has been removed. No hi cap mag to California". I called CDNN this morning, they said it was too much trouble to replace with a California legal 10-rd magazine in the kit. So they just took my $30 15-rd magazine without even giving me one $13 10-rd magazine in exchange. They should have told me of such then I wouldn't have ordered the kit. Now I have the slide, barrel, and recoil spring with no magazine to use. The conversion kit is useless without magazine. CDNN said if I like I can order factory 10-rd magazine and pay for it again, or they asked me to return the kit for a refund. Needless to say I returned the kit this morning and I am out of the shipping cost and what a disappointment. I really think CDNN should have informed all Californian or restricted states residents that the conversion kit will come without hi-cap magazine and either offer a lower price or tell the buyers they have to buy legal magazine separately. I don't think I would want to do business with them again.

6. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

That's the wonderful state of California, protecting you from yourself.

God bless Arizona.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

LMAO Steveinaz

BTW, Steve....

I am appreciate your signature line specifying the Glock 17 you own is chambered in 9mm - I almost thought you might have the hard to find Glock 17 chambered in .357SIG or some such.......

:D :D :D

8. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I was on the phone with CDNN yesterday. They put me on hold and first thing there ad was talking about was the great deals on Steyr pistols. At this time if I remember correctly they stated that they had conversion kits and that for the lucky folks in California they would remove the high cap mag at no extra charge :wink: and that it would ship without a mag for the same doh. At the time I thought nothing of it.

Still it should be in there ad..

9. alex

alex Guest

With my order CDNN included a catalog. In it on page 5, M-series blue 9mm 15 rd brand new fullsize magazine for $29.99 rare find. I'll bet these rare finds must have been the ones they removed from the kits and make another $30.

10. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I'm not sure about that. I ordered 2 extra hicap mags with my order yesterday. I bet they don't sell enough conversion kits to make up what they sell in extra mags.

11. West01

West01 New Member

Alex!

Don't send it back! Your are lucky that CDNN have actually send you the kit!. You have the most important part and can always get the 10r magazine latter for little money. Please remember that the price differential of firearms between my beloved country the United States of America and the Totalitarian State of Kalifornia is at least 30%! Count yourself lucky. Please don't mess the relationship with CDNN and the citizen of Kfornia...These guys have been bending backward to meet the stupid rules of this state.

Yours Truly! Your Comrad Citizen of Kfornia

West01

:D

12. Glock_Holiday

Glock_Holiday Guest

Do the slides and barrels that come in the conversion kit have serial numbers on them?

13. alex

alex Guest

I don't want to sound as I am vender bashing. But business is business. CDNN should have disclosed the special circumstance when selling the kit or anything to restricted states when a customer places his order. They are not bending backward to break any law. The slide/barrel/recoil spring assembly is a non-firearm item and can be sold to any states. I do understand no hicap mag for my state, California. Don't think for a moment that they were doing us (restricted states) a favor by removing the hi-cap mag from the kit. CDNN is not tossing these hi-cap mags away. These hi-cap mags are $30 a pop in their catalog. What upset me was that CDNN didn't even want to exchange a much lower value 10-rd $13 magazine for me. Anyway I rest my case.

14. West01

West01 New Member

Howdi Alex,

I understand the disappointment and your point is well taken.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you on this one. The kit come from Steyr packaged (original manufacturer product) with the hicap magazine...thus illegal in California! That is why you can't find this kit anywhere in Kfornia ....period, and technically speaking you shouldn't have this in your possession (in theory). CDNN has altered this by removing the magazine and then shipped you the slide only...thus legal. I agree that they should have informed you about this situation but please remember that CDNN is more a product liquidator than a distributor...so stock got to roll out the door. I don't think they wanted to stiff you but I do believe that they did not want to get in trouble with the law...and you either. Remember, they don't have to sell to California customers....blame the law...

If you think that is a problem just send it back. Hey, I fell your pain man ! I always wanted an STI Edge in .40cal...But you can't get them in Kfornia because of the st$%&ing gun laws. STI will not import in California.....period!

Cheers!

West01

:D

15. alex

alex Guest

Hi West01,
    I am upset not because I didn't get the 15-rd hi-cap mag. I know the hi-cap mag is not legal in California. I don't want CDNN and myself to break the stupid California law. If the sale person who took my order told me the situation at the time of order I would have ordered the California legal mag along. The legal mag is only $13 no big deal. I think it was partly my fault that I assumed CDNN would automatically exchange any illegal mag with legal one for shipment to restricted states just as all other gun dealers did for all the auto pistols I bought out of the state of California.
    I guess I am still a kid inside this 50 years old body that when I received new toys I want to play with it right away instead of finding something missing and not be able to play. You know how it feel don't you?