Ar-15 question

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by MrVal, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MrVal

MrVal New Member

Wasn't sure where to post this so move it wherever it belongs or delete it if it shouldn't be anywhere in this forum. I'm new to AR platform rifles and want to customize one. How do the gas system lengths relate to the rail system lengths? Can i put a rifle length rail system on a midlength gas system? Or a carbine length rail or a rifle length gas system? I get the differences in the gas systems themselves just not how they relate to the rail lengths. Thanks in advance.

2. elsullo

elsullo Member

I just noticed your post. Sorry, but I don't know much about ARs either (I only care for M2s), and no longer have one. BUT, YouTube is your FRIEND! There are numberless tutorials there on almost any firearm, but especially on the AR15. Searching through them will be the hard part. Avoid vids by youths, gangsters, and almost anyone with a heavy metal music background unless it is an old guy trying to sound "hip." And just hang up on anyone who begins with, "Whassup?"......................elsullo

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You can use any gas system that is shorter or equal to your rail length. Minimum handguard lengths for carbine, midlength, and rifle gas systems are 7", 9" and 12" respectively.

4. MrVal

MrVal New Member

Thank you both for the responses. Youtube is one of the first places I go but noone that I found said anything about mixing and matching rail lengths and gas system lengths. I was going crosseyed so I finally called it quits for the time being. Syntax, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I suspected that was the case but hadn't found a definitive answer so thank you. I have a midlength gas system and wanted to put a full 12-15 inch rail on so I can have a light all the way out at the end. The only full length rails I saw specified rifle length gas systems so I was unsure if it was compatible.